Dakota. The Blue Tj That Gets Built Down. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Dakota. The Blue Tj That Gets Built Down.

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 11-23-2012, 03:32 AM   #1
ThomasJeeps
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Dakota. The Blue Tj That Gets Built Down by a Teenager

Current

IMG_20121025_162139

Day I brought her home
DSCN5139

Last edited by ThomasJeeps; 11-23-2012 at 04:09 AM..
ThomasJeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2012, 03:36 AM   #2
ThomasJeeps
2003 TJ Wrangler 

More info on why i'm doing what i'm doing:
This is my daily driver and i'm into trail riding rather than rock crawling/mudding. I'm only 16 which means I want to drive everywhere...and i'm on a highschool budget...and I live in northern california (terrible gas prices)....and the current lift is terrible.
Currently Dakota sits on a HUGE lift made by skyjacker. She has adjustable control arms (fingers crossed they work with lower springs) and all the shocks are at the end of their travel. So, it is a very rough ride with almost no suspension give.

Goal: buy smaller back springs and cut the front ones, keeping all other components and making the adjustments with the arms.
Unread 11-23-2012, 03:44 AM   #3
ThomasJeeps
2003 TJ Wrangler 

How I got her/story/name.

I'm 16 and when I was about 3 for christmas I got one of those little electric cars to drive around, and, it was a bright red tj with KC lights on the roll cage. My dad put nails in the plastic tires so I could drive in the little bit of snow we get and rough terrain around our house. This kindled a passionate light that would burst to life only 11 short years later. When I was 14 I began looking high and low for a jeep. At first I was open to tjs and yjs, but soon realized that I wanted a real "dash" and not the straight across thing in the yjs. (I loved/love the 4 door jks but those were/are out my price range). For two years I searched and searched craigslist and begged my parents to drive me 3 hours South to Sacramento to jump on any "deals" i happened to come by. Finally, in August of this past year Dakota popped up. She was local, and the short paragraph of specs made her sound appealing. No pictures, no in depth specs. I called on a whim. "Is it a six cylinder?" I asked. "Yes."CHECK. "Auto or manual?" "Manual." CHECK. "What color is it?" "Blue" CHECK. (By now i'm lit up, it's perfect, and with only 62k on it, for ONLY 6 GRAND.) For months i'd been looking and similar jeeps had been 7-9. As soon as my dad got home we raced across town to test drive it. One drive and I HATED IT.
Unread 11-23-2012, 03:50 AM   #4
ThomasJeeps
2003 TJ Wrangler 

How I got her/story/name (CONT)

We pulled up and there she sat, in all her beautiful blue glory. Lifted, to my newbie eyes what seemed like 10 inches. Soon we were on the road, my dad driving (I hadn't learned how to drive stick yet) and I riding. As I said before, I hated it. It was a huge lift, but it was short armed. It had 33s but wasn't re-geared. Worst of all it had a bent rear drive line and almost every part of the interior was loose. We left that night without it, my convinced it was a little too hard core for my tastes.
I went home and pondered. Woke up the next day and she was on my mind. Went to sleep that night and she was on my mind. And I awoke that morning with a burning desire. When would I come across another jeep like her? The perfect color, the perfect specs? And for only 6 grand???? I had my mom write me a note so I could get out of school that day. After first period I raced to the bank and took a majority of my "life saving's" out in the form of cold-hard-cash. I raced to the guy's house with 6 grand in a nice little white envelope, and bought Dakota.
Unread 11-23-2012, 03:52 AM   #5
ThomasJeeps
2003 TJ Wrangler 

She's named Dakota after the actress Dakota Fanning, who has the most lovely blue eyes. My first car (technically my dad's that I drove) was named Hannah, Dakota Fanning's first name. The Jeep was to be my main car, has Dakota is the actress's main name. Thus, the name Dakota. Thankfully my jeep is blue, for the name would not be fitting were it any other color.
Unread 11-23-2012, 03:55 AM   #6
ThomasJeeps
2003 TJ Wrangler 

What has been done thus far:
Replaced driver's side rear axel
Buy new tire (33inch open country) (It was running on spare BG mud terrain on passenger side when purchased as previous owner's ex-girl friend punctured original)
Paint fender flares black
Tighten dash, ect.
Put in JVC stereo and wire for subs
Sell 33s, buy 31inch BG ATs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.