Daily Driven Trail Rig - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Daily Driven Trail Rig

WIN a Rough Country Forged Track Bar - ExtremeTerrain!FREE, FREE, FREE EVENT!! Save big on Lockers now till ApriJKS Grand Cherokee WJ, Adjustable Front Trackbar 1"-6

Unread 09-23-2015, 07:16 PM   #1
BowtiePimp
1986 CJ7 

J's Daily Driven Weekend Warrior

Hi guys, my names J I'm from the Jersey Shore. I recently traded a Chevy on 44's for a CJ on 37's. I have gone through multiple back surgeries and decided now having a family and a terrible back that trying to load up and jump into a truck on 44's was not for me. This is my first time owning anything but GM products and I have to say I love this truck! The jeep was a frame off a couple of years back and was basically brand new. Everything is either brand new or rebuilt which gave me a great starting point. The truck came with fresh paint, fully rebuilt 4.2l, T-5 and a Dana 300 with a Dana 44 rear and a Dana 30 front. The only thing it basically needed was a little interior tlc. After driving the truck I've noticed it definitely needs a couple updates to make it mine.

image_zpsgasrums9.jpeg

image_zps3qswg41n.jpeg

image_zpso9c5hinv.jpeg

image_zpsa2kjid3v.jpeg

image_zpsctff4bkz.jpeg

image_zpstwldpctp.jpeg

image_zpsmllh8jy6.jpeg

image_zpsuyy5zsoj.jpeg

image_zpsfl9kh7t0.jpeg

image_zpsn15tkhr4.jpeg

Last edited by BowtiePimp; 11-20-2015 at 12:28 AM..
BowtiePimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2015, 12:05 AM   #2
BowtiePimp
1986 CJ7 

Sorry it's been a little bit life has gotten a little crazy again and had to be hospitalized a couple days for another procedure on my back. Now that I'm home recovery I have some time to update. Well prior to my surgery I was able to take it out for a day of fun in the woods with my cousin and his YJ after building a new front driveshaft. The truck did fairly well for a truck with stock gearing and a set of All Terrains. I still had a blast even though I had to stay calm as I didn't have a rear tow point in case I was to get stuck. After the trip I did realize my first addition to the truck would be a rear tow point! Ran up to the local metal shop and got a piece of 2x3 box and went to town with a buddy of mine.
image_zps0xrjoapj.jpeg

image_zpsu5qo1nqn.jpeg

image_zpsymf2m9ls.jpeg

image_zpstxeudu7p.jpeg

image_zpsa8n2ihtk.jpeg

image_zpscxamezsn.jpeg

image_zpskjbiak4s.jpeg

image_zpspebzsrxg.jpeg

image_zpsdntzifmw.jpeg

image_zpsoyjus8xz.jpeg

Unread 11-20-2015, 12:24 AM   #3
BowtiePimp
1986 CJ7 

About a week or so after finishing my bumper and tuning the motor a little bit more I decided to take a late afternoon cruise in some trails/mud runs. Once again while enjoy the trip I deciding that I will need better headlights or a led bar, the older setups just aren't great and I had a hard time seeing. I also discovered that the windshield wipers will need to be upgraded. So I had to start gathering more parts. First thing I did was order HMF Fabrication LED windshield brackets. I got the light bar from a friend brand new for lunch, what a score! The headlights I got both lenses, bulbs and hardware at the swapmeet a week later for $40.00. Between the new H4 headlight conversion and the light bar I'm sure I'll be able to see fine now.
image_zpsslk3mw53.jpg

image_zpsecx0ttxt.jpg

image_zpsc75uheqv.jpg

image_zpsnszbl4xl.jpg

image_zpsdgcsv05v.jpg

image_zpsgmree5dr.jpg

Unread 11-20-2015, 10:13 AM   #4
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

1987 MJ Comanche 

Pretty good looking CJ.

Sold:
05 LJ.. Low and on 37s
79 FSJ.. 360/4speed on 38s
85 CJ-7 Renegade

Buy my AEV Pintler TJ Beadlocks. See the classifieds.
dayriesw is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2015, 10:23 PM   #5
BowtiePimp
1986 CJ7 

Another update! Well after the last trip out and completely covering the interior in sand and mud I realized it was time to do some of the tlc the interior needed. So I ripped the cage, seats, center console and pieced together carpet out and decided since I had good luck in the past with Bedrug liners I would go with their Jeep kit. I gotta say this kit was spot on and absolutely perfect!! After installing the carpet I decided it was time for a new center console, shifter boots and pedal pads since mine were either broke or missing. I went with the Smittybilt locking stereo center console and just repo boots and pads. So far everything was smooth sailing and being that is usually never the case I decided I'll buy a Pioneer head unit for the console also. What a difference a few hours in the garage made. I've also decided I'm going to leave the top on as much as possible to help to keep the interior decent now, but we'll see summer here is hot and humid lol.

Now that the interior was basically done I decided to sell my 37's in favor for a set of 35" Baja Claws so I also went and did that. Now I'm hoping I won't rub as much when I'm trail riding.
image_zps7aw0r7jx.jpg   image_zpssr0pteso.jpg  
image_zpsco33tlar.jpg

image_zpskq59syds.jpg

image_zpsp1xdzokk.jpg

image_zpsl2saycwu.jpeg

image_zpsi7df1lyo.jpg

image_zpsyapsrtm2.jpg

image_zpska4zc44x.jpg

Unread 11-20-2015, 10:31 PM   #6
BowtiePimp
1986 CJ7 

Now that the top and doors are on the truck I've been thinking about sanding and prepping the top then spay it in LineX, has anyone done that?

Also will be prepping and fixing the doors as the have the normal rust/rot. That way I can finally install all the rubber and door panels for comfort.
Unread 11-21-2015, 10:50 AM   #7
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

love the jeep, while your doing some painting, don't forget about that back bumper

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2015, 11:55 AM   #8
BowtiePimp
1986 CJ7 

Thank you! Back bumper is on the list to get painted, I just had ran out of time prior to my last surgery, but I wanna make a few little changes to it including bracing the back side a little more.
Unread 11-21-2015, 12:59 PM   #9
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That rear bumper is what I want to build for mine as well

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2015, 02:55 PM   #10
BowtiePimp
1986 CJ7 

I have about $75.00 in material and 3-ish hours into it finished besides the paint. Just a Sunday morning project.
Unread 11-21-2015, 09:05 PM   #11
BowtiePimp
1986 CJ7 

Well this update is the one that brings this post up to date. Not a big one but as I drove and used the jeep more and more I realized that I wanted to upgrade the rear for something a little stronger, wider and had disc brakes. I also wanted a set of aluminum wheels and started searching were I found a set and got a pretty decent deal on a set of 15x10 with 5 1/4" bs even tho I am a fan of the "wider stance" and really wanted a set of 15x12's.

Well as we all know when your done searching for what you want you stumble across what you originally wanted. So being that it was a good deal I couldn't pass it up. I did however have a small delima, I was only days out of major back surgery and was bedside as I still am today. I am fortunate enough to have some really great friends and one of them took the ride and picked them up. As he was on his way home with the new wheels I found a buyer for the set I had purchased a few weeks earlier. Wow things do go good sometimes!

As I stated a little earlier in the post I am bedside so this gives me plenty of time to do some research and locate plenty of parts or upgrades. I searched Craigslist and found a guy about a hr away that was parting out a 2001 Ford Explorer so I once again leaned on some very amazing friends and they went and got me the rear from it. 3.73 with no locker for $90.00, What a steal!! It will need gears and a locker, but I'm just glad to get another good deal.

Now the fun begins looking and purchasing all the swap parts and my next upgrade. I believe it's going to be super simple. I think just a rearview mirror holder since mine just keeps falling of and I've had it. Thinking about doing this or buying one if I can. I saw it done on this site before.
Unread 11-21-2015, 11:34 PM   #12
BowtiePimp
1986 CJ7 

Well I just did this,

Dan over at Double D Fabrication is getting me on similar to this one posted, but with the addition of (1) 12v port. He says a couple weeks and I should have it.
Unread 12-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #13
BowtiePimp
1986 CJ7 

Not much going on lately just trying to get myself healed up from back surgery, but I have a chance to get a yj frame suspension, rears and drivetrain for a good price. I have been thinking of building that frame then just swapping over the body's. Doing this would give me the chance to make it look nice and make all changes I want with the ease of nothing in my way, anyone think it's not worth it and that the cj frame will be fine for a mild rocks, trail and mud rig?
Unread 12-17-2015, 08:11 PM   #14
BowtiePimp
1986 CJ7 

Another little update, but I received my Double D Fabrication dash console. I am very happy with the outcome.
I also got a good barter deal on mint condition for a set of my that need tMi or work. Getting excited to start seeing some progress.

Any comments are appreciated.
Unread 12-18-2015, 09:14 AM   #15
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

1987 MJ Comanche 

Center console looks nice. I remember always wanting to do something like that on my CJ. Are you painting the doors yourself? What needs to be done on the doors?

Sold:
05 LJ.. Low and on 37s
79 FSJ.. 360/4speed on 38s
85 CJ-7 Renegade

Buy my AEV Pintler TJ Beadlocks. See the classifieds.
dayriesw is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.