Custom 2001 Jeep Wrangler Military Project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Custom 2001 Jeep Wrangler Military Project

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineCHASSIS SAVERô Labor Day 2 for 1 Sale!!!JKS Flex Connect in Actions!

Unread 06-03-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
tatooweeny
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Custom 2001 Jeep Wrangler Military Project

Here is a before...

And after (so far)...

Next is the custom O.D. canvas soft top...

Still have lots of things to do like suspension, gearing and interior, but I think it's coming along rather fast. The front fenders are T&T Customs. Let me tell you they are rather challenging to install by yourself! The front blackout lights are converted to 12 volt & contain yellow bulbs for driving lights/turn signals. Other mods include M38 front shackles, rear Sherman tank/M38 taillights, MB bumperettes, MB corner grab handles & side mirrors. Reflectors are M38 style. No mods to the engine except K&N air intake & recent tune up with new seals (engine has 90,000). Lots of other little things I've done to give it that old school feel. The O.D. Canvas top will be the most challenging. Forget about the TJ doors... CJ fabric full doors for winter & CJ halfs for summer are being skinned for it. If you have any questions on how I did something, fell free to ask! Keep in mind that this is not a rock crawler! It's a daily driver that will get moderate trail riding.

tatooweeny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
SillyPutty
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatooweeny View Post
Here is a before...

And after (so far)...

Next is the custom O.D. canvas soft top...

Still have lots of things to do like suspension, gearing and interior, but I think it's coming along rather fast. The front fenders are T&T Customs. Let me tell you they are rather challenging to install by yourself! The front blackout lights are converted to 12 volt & contain yellow bulbs for driving lights/turn signals. Other mods include M38 front shackles, rear Sherman tank/M38 taillights, MB bumperettes, MB corner grab handles & side mirrors. Reflectors are M38 style. No mods to the engine except K&N air intake & recent tune up with new seals (engine has 90,000). Lots of other little things I've done to give it that old school feel. The O.D. Canvas top will be the most challenging. Forget about the TJ doors... CJ fabric full doors for winter & CJ halfs for summer are being skinned for it. If you have any questions on how I did something, fell free to ask! Keep in mind that this is not a rock crawler! It's a daily driver that will get moderate trail riding.
click free
Unread 06-03-2008, 02:06 PM   #3
Capricorn
2002 WJ 

Thats an awesome Jeep! Keep it up, I'm looking forward to more mods
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #4
tatooweeny
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I only wish I had documented the build up so far. When I get her back from the Upholstery shop, I'll do a couple write ups on some of the stuff I've done. For instance, I fabricated a steel strap that holds/locks the jerry can to the mount so no one can "borrow" gas from me when parked outside.
Unread 06-03-2008, 06:20 PM   #5
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thats awesome.

Props.
Unread 06-03-2008, 07:38 PM   #6
Capricorn
2002 WJ 

Get some more pictures up too!
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2008, 09:36 AM   #7
Baotchi
2010 JK Wrangler 

Awesome !
Unread 06-04-2008, 01:29 PM   #8
redcj576
1979 CJ7 

nicely done!! congrats!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
'77 CJ7 -.GM 305,T176,4.10s,37x14.5 Creepy Crawlers
'79 CJ7- 350,TH400,NP205,4.88s,39.5" Creepy Crawlers
'61 Chevy Apache 10-all stock
'90 Chevy K1500 4x4 Truck-LT265/75R16 BFG All terrains
redcj576 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2008, 01:35 PM   #9
tjsahara1979
2007 JK Wrangler 

Wow, that looks incredible!
'01 TJ Sahara. 3" BDS lift, 1" PA BL, 33x12.50x15 Nokian Vatiiva M/Ts, Durango steering box, soft 8s, RE steering stabilizer, and one LOUD effin' train horn :)

Green Jeep Club Member #183
tjsahara1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2008, 06:10 PM   #10
tatooweeny
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Here is some progress...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3147/...b4bb0d.jpg?v=0

Here is the bracket for the bow assembly. Since it does not have a recess in the body for the bow, I had to make a spacer for the bracket. It is spot welded together to give it strength.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3015/...ec582e.jpg?v=0

The seats are original wrangler front seats, cut down and squared a little to give that old school feel. I did not want to use military seats because I wanted comfort, funtionality with style. I'll continue progress as it happens.

Another view of the bow...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3160/...12cb5d.jpg?v=0

From the rear you can see the height at which the top will be. The high back was common on military jeeps because the rear seat was mounted on the floor against the tailgate area. When officers sat in the back, their heads didn't touch the top. Eventually, I'll put a rear seat back there.

An updated front end...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3056/...f11a15.jpg?v=0

Here's an updated photo with the front lifting shackles installed with grade 8 hardware. I added a little white so they didn't cover the decals on the bumper. I thought that was a nice touch. These shackles connect to the frame, not the bumper, for added strength. They are rated at 10,000 pounds each, so I should have no problem getting out of mud holes, ditches, etc.

Last edited by tatooweeny; 06-04-2008 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: more pics & descriptions
Unread 06-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #11
lucy4227
2004 TJ Wrangler 

that looks sweet Looks totally awesome
lucy4227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2008, 08:34 PM   #12
tatooweeny
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Here is the window channel...

Here is a pic of the windshield channel. It will be nearly invisible when finished. The edges of the canvas will have snaps on each side of the window frame. This will keep it centered & tight. Keep in mind that everything metal will be painted Lusterless Olive Drab when complete.
The bow to windshield support (front)...

The windshield soft top door seal is from a CJ7 (I believe). The rod just slips into this, & is held in place by the Bow assembly.
Bow to windshield support (rear)...

A new hole had to be drilled to keep an even plum line. There were 2 holes drilled near this, so we had to fill those to keep the bow strong.
Side curtain drop rod (top)...

This is an interesting photo because it shows what one can do with a little bit of ingenuity! Notice what it is? It's a brass pipe T-bar fitting that's been drilled out to slip the windshield rod through, then connected with a blind rivet. The other rod ( drop rod) just sits inside both top & bottom so I can disassemble everything and store it easily.
Side curtain drop rod (bottom)...

This is the bottom of the assembly. The hole was already there in the body, so we just welded a washer to the rod & set it in the hole. The black stuff is a rubber based sealant to keep the rattling to a minimum.
Unread 06-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #13
GibsJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Your Jeep is bad! Nice work

I like the side view mirrors, plus everything else .
Unread 06-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #14
justinwalden

Quote:
Here is the window channel...

Here is a pic of the windshield channel. It will be nearly invisible when finished. The edges of the canvas will have snaps on each side of the window frame. This will keep it centered & tight. Keep in mind that everything metal will be painted Lusterless Olive Drab when complete.
The bow to windshield support (front)...

The windshield soft top door seal is from a CJ7 (I believe). The rod just slips into this, & is held in place by the Bow assembly.
Bow to windshield support (rear)...

A new hole had to be drilled to keep an even plum line. There were 2 holes drilled near this, so we had to fill those to keep the bow strong.
Side curtain drop rod (top)...

This is an interesting photo because it shows what one can do with a little bit of ingenuity! Notice what it is? It's a brass pipe T-bar fitting that's been drilled out to slip the windshield rod through, then connected with a blind rivet. The other rod ( drop rod) just sits inside both top & bottom so I can disassemble everything and store it easily.
Side curtain drop rod (bottom)...

This is the bottom of the assembly. The hole was already there in the body, so we just welded a washer to the rod & set it in the hole. The black stuff is a rubber based sealant to keep the rattling to a minimum.
!!!!!
Unread 06-05-2008, 09:26 AM   #15
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Here is some progress...

Here is the bracket for the bow assembly. Since it does not have a recess in the body for the bow, I had to make a spacer for the bracket. It is spot welded together to give it strength.

The seats are original wrangler front seats, cut down and squared a little to give that old school feel. I did not want to use military seats because I wanted comfort, funtionality with style. I'll continue progress as it happens.

Another view of the bow...

From the rear you can see the height at which the top will be. The high back was common on military jeeps because the rear seat was mounted on the floor against the tailgate area. When officers sat in the back, their heads didn't touch the top. Eventually, I'll put a rear seat back there.

An updated front end...

Here's an updated photo with the front lifting shackles installed with grade 8 hardware. I added a little white so they didn't cover the decals on the bumper. I thought that was a nice touch. These shackles connect to the frame, not the bumper, for added strength. They are rated at 10,000 pounds each, so I should have no problem getting out of mud holes, ditches, etc.
. .
TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.