creating timeline - jeep build - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 01-27-2016, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
willc86

creating timeline - jeep build

hey guys its that moment where my jeep is almost repaired fully. few things missing. then, I am going to start a long line of upgrades. my ultimate goals would be to have a stroker engine, coil over shocks, exo skeleton, drive-terrain change...ill list all of the price all of the details... in the long run....might be 3 - 4 years before that happens but I want to start documenting everything and start off small. As I progress, I will upgrade and change parts. I also plan on adding bumpers, repainting suspension parts and body, fixing the dents, adding winch etc.... I do have the income to do so but I also have a house I need to remodel at the same time ha ha and I believe house takes priority.

I am also here to ask for help and guidelines! maybe a newbie can also see this post as a guide one day. I just want to be helpful to the community since you guys helped me. Maybe I can give something back

anyhow....my first (small project) I am going to buy a cheap lift kit (6.5 in) from amazon. Now, I am going to ask for some help.

to get a decent amount of flex, should I get disconnect sway links? (if i called them right) down the road, Ill probably upgrade to a long arm kit. For now, I am just doing moderate light rock crawling trails.

then next year, see if I can get better suspension lift that adds more flex. but for now ill get a cheap lift in amazon.

my current jeep now
which is stock..ill post after photos soon

next year when i get more advanced in rock crawling ill consider this https://waldoch.com/store/performanc...erokee-xj.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-28-2016, 09:54 AM
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Hello and welcome to the forum Will. I run those same wheels on my 96XJ.
6.5" is a lot of lift for an XJ and I'm not sure there's a good way to do it cheap. That BDS kit you linked is pretty sweet though. For sure you're going to want disco swaybar links for offroading and with any significant lift you're going to need to replace the stock ones anyway.
XJ body styles didn't change a whole lot of the years so I'm not exactly sure what year model you're working with. When you get a minute, fill in your profile information and it'll be a big help towards anyone being able to help you in your quest here. I can't wait to see where this goes!

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old 01-30-2016, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
willc86

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum Will. I run those same wheels on my 96XJ.
6.5" is a lot of lift for an XJ and I'm not sure there's a good way to do it cheap. That BDS kit you linked is pretty sweet though. For sure you're going to want disco swaybar links for offroading and with any significant lift you're going to need to replace the stock ones anyway.
XJ body styles didn't change a whole lot of the years so I'm not exactly sure what year model you're working with. When you get a minute, fill in your profile information and it'll be a big help towards anyone being able to help you in your quest here. I can't wait to see where this goes!
Thanks for response! disco sway bar is the same is quick disconnect sway bar?
so I decided I am going to purchase this for now until I get more advanced

http://www.amazon.com/Rough-Country-...ywords=xj+lift
ill post pictures after I lift it. then tire time! also plan on painting the coils and maybe leaf springs not sure.

anything else I should add?
i have
-disonnect sway links
-new pitman

going to get this for disconnects
http://www.amazon.com/Rough-Country-..._cd_al_qh_dp_t

might paint them as well. ill post final results
post #4 of 5 Old 02-01-2016, 01:35 PM
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Yes disco swaybar links is my shorthand for quick disconnects.
I'm still not exactly sure what year your jeep is but I can tell by the pic that it's a late generation model. At 6.5" you'll need a SYE for sure, but at 4.5" you might be able to get by for a while with a transfer case drop. Late generation models seem to be a bit less tolerable than early gen in that respect.
I'm thinking at 4.5" you won't want a drop pitman but at 6.5 you will.

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

post #5 of 5 Old 02-03-2016, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
willc86

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Yes disco swaybar links is my shorthand for quick disconnects.
I'm still not exactly sure what year your jeep is but I can tell by the pic that it's a late generation model. At 6.5" you'll need a SYE for sure, but at 4.5" you might be able to get by for a while with a transfer case drop. Late generation models seem to be a bit less tolerable than early gen in that respect.
I'm thinking at 4.5" you won't want a drop pitman but at 6.5 you will.
oh its a 1998 XJ cherokee sport i6 model. Yeah I might stick to a 4.5 then when I get more advanced ill go with a long arm kit.

anyhow, what is a SYE?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.