Crawley's story <3 - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Crawley's story <3

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 09-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #121
9703tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterpookie View Post
so as fate would have it...

my f***ing package that had my jeepstuff in it was waiting on my doorstep when i got home from jeepfest. i'll post some pics and maybe some vid later tonight. i need to review the content. i can assure you the language is NSFW, but i just want to make sure i protect my identity a bit.

also, i bought something while i was there, and i was ABSOLUTELY glad i did. i'll talk more about that on the next post as well.
You don't sound happy about it?

9703tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #122
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9703tj View Post
You don't sound happy about it?
i would have been a lot happier to have had it in time for jeepfest (and i effing needed it, there's storytime if you care to read it), and even happier if i would have had it 4 months ago when i ordered it~

however, i AM happy to have it now. new projects.
mebbe that will be something to hold interest with?

i still need to sort through my pics and vids. i have been a lazyass all day. sunburn will do that to you.

CRAWLEY'S STORY <3 (sort of a build thread)
FOR SALE: SOFT TOP WITH FRAME FROM A 99
misterpookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2012, 01:04 AM   #123
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

so... like i said, i bought something for crawley while i was at jeepfest:

it's a spiderweb shade. the one i got was their "trail mesh", and they also had the available "ultramesh" i think they called it.

i have been considering getting one of these for some time now, but i wanted to see one first hand. the event gave me the opportunity to do just that. it was actually really good to be able to compare the two materials.

if you have fair skin, this thing is f***ing great. it saved me a lot of misery, as i spent a lot of time in the sun that day. it also kept our heads safe from low-hanging foliage on the trails while still allowing the ability to look up and see sky. air goes right through it. (but mud will sit on top of it, lol)

worth $80? not sure yet. i know i don't regret it yet. comes with a five year warranty though, and the guy who was representing the company told me that if i manage to f*** it up in that time, he'll send me a new one. strong words. i hope i never have to take him up on it.

the trail mesh is a LOT tougher feeling, and i would definitely recommend it over the ultramesh. though i think the ultra is $20 cheaper or so.

this is meant to be a bit of a teaser post until i get all my pics off of my xoom. the video seems safe so far, so i will be releasing that too.... if you all care to hear my bro and i banter back and forth incessantly while bouncing about in the wilderness.

here's another pic just for fun~

as an aside, i'm in the driver seat. my bro took the pics.

Unread 10-15-2012, 02:10 AM   #124
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

a depressing turn of events

so i have spent almost the entire year i have owned crawley looking for replacement tires (as the ones he came with have seen better days for sure), only to find out that BFG TA/KOs in 32x11.5.15 are on a national backorder. not even tirerack.com has them.

well, after going through jeepfest without any issues, and a few other excursions i worried would destroy one of my tires, it turns out that apparently a trip to atlanta is what caused my demise.

my front tires are way more worn than my rear (naturally), so i assumed i could get them two at a time when i needed to by rotating the rears to the front. sadly, my passenger rear went out first.

on the bright side, when i realized exactly how hard it was to FIND my tires, i anticipated getting a set of four anyway. still sucks for a sudden expense though.

supposedly, discount tire company near by me has the tires i want, though i am skeptical and will call them in the morning. failing that, i will have to choose another option.

i think someone may have sabotaged it while i was in the parking garage of the Ga aquarium, as i cannot think of anything that i hit on the way there that would have presented such a rapidly leaking tire, and i had no such issues before the trip. however, i cannot find any signs of sabotage.

Unread 10-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #125
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My old 33x12.5x15 BFG AT/KO's were so worn that they started leaking a bit. What finally killed them was a broken belt on a longer trip. Start looking for some "interim" tires. I found a set of 33's for a couple hundred and ran them for a while until I could find a set with good suitable tread. If your interim tires are still in ok shape when you find what you're looking for, sell them to someone in the same position as you were.

Tires are a real ***** if you're on a budget. Took me two years to find the ones I run today.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #126
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsofstone View Post
My old 33x12.5x15 BFG AT/KO's were so worn that they started leaking a bit. What finally killed them was a broken belt on a longer trip. Start looking for some "interim" tires. I found a set of 33's for a couple hundred and ran them for a while until I could find a set with good suitable tread. If your interim tires are still in ok shape when you find what you're looking for, sell them to someone in the same position as you were.

Tires are a real ***** if you're on a budget. Took me two years to find the ones I run today.
well, i bit the bullet and just dropped $1,000 on four goodyear MTR/Ks.

i see you're currently running the tires i wanted, and i am incredibly jealous... problem is NOBODY has them.

anyone familiar with summit racing's customer service? it'd be nice to know how happy/unhappy i'm about to be~

Unread 10-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #127
9703tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
well, i bit the bullet and just dropped $1,000 on four goodyear MTR/Ks.

i see you're currently running the tires i wanted, and i am incredibly jealous... problem is NOBODY has them.

anyone familiar with summit racing's customer service? it'd be nice to know how happy/unhappy i'm about to be~
I can tell you that you're going to be much happier with the MTR/K's than you would've been with the BFG's. I just got my new tires in today
Unread 10-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #128
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I can tell you that you're going to be much happier with the MTR/K's than you would've been with the BFG's. I just got my new tires in today
any idea how many projected miles i should get on them? i'm trying to make myself feel better about all this~

Unread 10-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #129
9703tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
any idea how many projected miles i should get on them? i'm trying to make myself feel better about all this~
3-5 years, prolly about 35 to 45 thousand miles. Keep them rotated with every oil change and you should see nice long life out of them. They're awesome tires!

EDIT: What size did you get? 33's?
Unread 10-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #130
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
3-5 years, prolly about 35 to 45 thousand miles. Keep them rotated with every oil change and you should see nice long life out of them. They're awesome tires!

EDIT: What size did you get? 33's?
kept to the 32s for now. i'd have to spend a bit more $$$ to make 33s work, and currently can't swing it.

to be honest, not sure i'd want to either. i really love crawley's stance as it is, and even with humble 32s i was out-performing much "better" set up rigs at jeepfest.

i still have the 1" body lift kit that i got in anticipation of doing a tummy tuck at some point, but i'm still having a hard time telling myself it won't look awful with a gap and that the gain would balance out any quirks that arise from the lift, such as making my transfer case shifter act more wonky than it already does.

though, i guess getting the novac set up would eliminate that rattle i get from the current shifter mechanism....

Unread 10-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #131
9703tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
kept to the 32s for now. i'd have to spend a bit more $$$ to make 33s work, and currently can't swing it.

to be honest, not sure i'd want to either. i really love crawley's stance as it is, and even with humble 32s i was out-performing much "better" set up rigs at jeepfest.

i still have the 1" body lift kit that i got in anticipation of doing a tummy tuck at some point, but i'm still having a hard time telling myself it won't look awful with a gap and that the gain would balance out any quirks that arise from the lift, such as making my transfer case shifter act more wonky than it already does.

though, i guess getting the novac set up would eliminate that rattle i get from the current shifter mechanism....
You're traveling down a smart path Throw an Ausie or Spartan lunch box locker in the front axle and you'll be supprised where your Jeep will take you.
Unread 10-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #132
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You're traveling down a smart path Throw an Ausie or Spartan lunch box locker in the front axle and you'll be supprised where your Jeep will take you.
am i smart for the hesitation to just cram bigger tires under there, or for the hesitation on the body lift?

Unread 10-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #133
9703tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
am i smart for the hesitation to just cram bigger tires under there, or for the hesitation on the body lift?
The bigger tires. The body lift, tummy tuck, and Novak cable shifter are all good ideas. Add andjustable control arms to that list though to make sure everything plays well together. And you might as well do the SYE and CV driveshaft about the same time as well...
Unread 10-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #134
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The bigger tires.
says the guy that just got 37s lol. but then again, you TOTALLY did larger tires right. unlike my potential size "change" you'll get a lot more than half an inch extra clearance i like the angle you took, though i have to concede that it's not a path i can put crawley on. i'm not picking on you for having larger tires at all. like i said, you got it right.

Quote:
The body lift, tummy tuck, and Novak cable shifter are all good ideas. Add andjustable control arms to that list though to make sure everything plays well together. And you might as well do the SYE and CV driveshaft about the same time as well...
brb, selling kidneys.

Unread 10-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #135
9703tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
says the guy that just got 37s lol. but then again, you TOTALLY did larger tires right. unlike my potential size "change" you'll get a lot more than half an inch extra clearance i like the angle you took, though i have to concede that it's not a path i can put crawley on. i'm not picking on you for having larger tires at all. like i said, you got it right.

brb, selling kidneys.
Lol!

I'm not sure I did larger tires right. 37's are supposed to cause instant death to Dana 30 axles... I'm only running a 4cyl though, and I'm also running a High Pinion Dana 30 axle, so I'm hoping that will all offset eachother and I shouldn't expose my parts to any more strain than an LP D30 running 35's while powered by a 6cyl...

Who knows though... I'm pretty good at breaking stuff, lol!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.