Crawley's story <3 - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Crawley's story <3

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-23-2012, 12:51 AM   #106
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterpookie View Post
i just spent 30 minutes looking for a place on the internet that sells it. i came up with nothing. sadly, my best recommendation is keeping a dictionary in the restroom.

word to the wise: dictionary pages are generally thin and not quilted.
I think I'm going to use part of this as a signature quote for a while, lmao!

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 05:10 AM   #107
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I think I'm going to use part of this as a signature quote for a while, lmao!

CRAWLEY'S STORY <3 (sort of a build thread)
FOR SALE: SOFT TOP WITH FRAME FROM A 99
misterpookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #108
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know if you've found this already, but if not check this out for good music! http://www.darkasylum.co.uk/music

2006 LJ SOLD!
Unread 07-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #109
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't know if you've found this already, but if not check this out for good music! http://www.darkasylum.co.uk/music
not yet, but definitely worth a look.

sorry for the awkward pause on the thread here. i have literally spent the last month working, with this last weekend being my only time off... and now i have another month ahead of me. not fun times.

Unread 07-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #110
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
not yet, but definitely worth a look.

sorry for the awkward pause on the thread here. i have literally spent the last month working, with this last weekend being my only time off... and now i have another month ahead of me. not fun times.
Working = money... money = Jeep parts!

2006 LJ SOLD!
Unread 07-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #111
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Working = money... money = Jeep parts!
to be fair, i have spent some money on jeep parts recently... however there has been a HUGE shipping SNAFU... so i am attempting to get that sorted out. the things i ordered got sent 600 miles away from me. it's all a matter of getting some friends back home to take some time out of their day to drop something off at the post office.... which sounds simple.... but you don't know my friends.

when they come i will have a few small projects and one that i think may actually be interesting to read up on.

Unread 07-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #112
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

That's one of the things I hate about ordering Jeep parts. Waiting on shipping, and getting the wrong parts and then having to deal with shipping them back...

2006 LJ SOLD!
Unread 07-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #113
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Some things I have to add at this point...

1. ACOG or "alternate center of gravity" should hereby be revised to ALTCOG so as not to be confused with the following:

2. Quilted or similarly evolved toilet paper (even to the extent of the aloe infused variants) should hereby be referred to as "butt candy". The following comes up in the top results when "word of the day toilet paper" is searched on google...I imagine it has to do with the book review:

3. "Work sucks but I need the bucks." - The brilliant words of my friend Tony...a smarter man than myself.

4. Severe beatings should be prescribed and administered to any "friend" unwilling or too lazy to ship Jeep parts to a less-than-local Jeeper. This is especially the case if the Jeeper is responsable for the original purchase of said parts instead of the "friend" in question. (the following is for visual references only)

Now, with that business behind us, I'd like to make a couple of suggestions for Crawley's next few steps based on my personal experience and research. Things can be done in small stages using quality parts. Sometimes it's easier to figure out what parts can integrate in the meantime to allow continued function on lower budget builds. Consider the following progression I have planned:

Combo budget boost/1.25" BL --> 1" MML/LoPro tranny mount (reduces driveshaft angle) --> full 3.5" Lift kit --> adjustable rear upper control arms --> SYE/Flat skid/DS

All of these things keep me on 33x12.50x15 tires, allow for minimized downtime and daily drivablity. This also will allow me to save $$ in between the more substantial money investment steps while spending a little here and there as prep work gets completed, kind of like "Island Hopping" in the Pacific Theatre during WWII. The idea here is to do things in steps that allow parts like the BL to be a prerequisite to the MML/LP tranny mount, which allows you to maintain the stock skid. This prep work allows for a 3.5" lift kit to be installed without DS vibes when money can be saved up. Then, adding rear upper CA's that are adjustable can become the prep work/parts for the full belly-up process. In the meantime, the configuration installed earlier will be a really stable and offroad capable setup to daily drive.

Like:
$$ --> $ --> $$ --> $ --> $$$

I am oversimplifying to an extent because things like brakes and steering could be addressed as well as individual chunks of armor without huge investment. Use stuff like that to space out the bigger purchases you are saving for. The next steps beyond the biggies I listed above can be flat fenders, gearing, and tire size. WIN.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #114
9703tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Bump! What's new???
9703tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #115
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsofstone View Post
Some things I have to add at this point...

1. ACOG or "alternate center of gravity" should hereby be revised to ALTCOG so as not to be confused with the following:

2. Quilted or similarly evolved toilet paper (even to the extent of the aloe infused variants) should hereby be referred to as "butt candy". The following comes up in the top results when "word of the day toilet paper" is searched on google...I imagine it has to do with the book review:

3. "Work sucks but I need the bucks." - The brilliant words of my friend Tony...a smarter man than myself.

4. Severe beatings should be prescribed and administered to any "friend" unwilling or too lazy to ship Jeep parts to a less-than-local Jeeper. This is especially the case if the Jeeper is responsable for the original purchase of said parts instead of the "friend" in question. (the following is for visual references only)

Now, with that business behind us, I'd like to make a couple of suggestions for Crawley's next few steps based on my personal experience and research. Things can be done in small stages using quality parts. Sometimes it's easier to figure out what parts can integrate in the meantime to allow continued function on lower budget builds. Consider the following progression I have planned:

Combo budget boost/1.25" BL --> 1" MML/LoPro tranny mount (reduces driveshaft angle) --> full 3.5" Lift kit --> adjustable rear upper control arms --> SYE/Flat skid/DS

All of these things keep me on 33x12.50x15 tires, allow for minimized downtime and daily drivablity. This also will allow me to save $$ in between the more substantial money investment steps while spending a little here and there as prep work gets completed, kind of like "Island Hopping" in the Pacific Theatre during WWII. The idea here is to do things in steps that allow parts like the BL to be a prerequisite to the MML/LP tranny mount, which allows you to maintain the stock skid. This prep work allows for a 3.5" lift kit to be installed without DS vibes when money can be saved up. Then, adding rear upper CA's that are adjustable can become the prep work/parts for the full belly-up process. In the meantime, the configuration installed earlier will be a really stable and offroad capable setup to daily drive.

Like:
$$ --> $ --> $$ --> $ --> $$$

I am oversimplifying to an extent because things like brakes and steering could be addressed as well as individual chunks of armor without huge investment. Use stuff like that to space out the bigger purchases you are saving for. The next steps beyond the biggies I listed above can be flat fenders, gearing, and tire size. WIN.
good sir, your data and humor is appreciated. as an aside, ACOGs are officially relevant to my life now.

i know i may disappoint here, but i really don't desire that much lift, and 33" tires aren't really terribly exciting to me. i will definitely keep aspects of your information in mind (particularly with regard to driveline angles) but i don't foresee any lifts in my near future other than perhaps the 1" body lift (which i am still back and forth on. i have heard some scary things about how they can go wrong, and i am less than convinced that i won't hate the look of it lol), but i may get some stiffer springs to accommodate for having the extra weight of a winch on the front.

i'll def be picking your brain in the future, if you don't mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9703tj View Post
Bump! What's new???
as for my protracted absence, i apologize. i'm in that awkward space of a build thread where money and time are at a lull, and so is progress. i would write a bit more often, but i'm already a long-winded bastard, so i fear it would result in me just rambling on incessantly.

recent jeep purchases have been made however, even if one is not exciting, and the other is questionable in regards to it's qualifications as a "jeep accessory", but i am sure nobody here will dissent to it being labeled as such.

the one that is unquestionably a jeep purchase was sadly... a battery. my old one seemed to have lost it's cold cranking amps. i got a relatively inexpensive one for now. i have been half-scheming some electrical projects for crawley, so i may step up to a better battery (or two ) in the future. i am thinking that a dual battery set up could be useful, especially if i install an inverter. my problem there lies in finding out where i would place it to make it element resistant, or seeing if "marine grade" ones exist.

the other purchase was actually a smith & wesson M&P15 OR. sure.... that was money i could have spent getting a trektop nx, but i have to say that one is more protection than the other.

an update about the package of stuff i had ordered that my former roomies can't be arsed to take to the post office:

there is no update. scumbag former roomies are being scummy and baggy. i'm almost to the point of driving 600 effing miles to get my stuff.

Unread 08-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #116
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
good sir, your data and humor is appreciated. as an aside, ACOGs are officially relevant to my life now.

i know i may disappoint here, but i really don't desire that much lift, and 33" tires aren't really terribly exciting to me. i will definitely keep aspects of your information in mind (particularly with regard to driveline angles) but i don't foresee any lifts in my near future other than perhaps the 1" body lift (which i am still back and forth on. i have heard some scary things about how they can go wrong, and i am less than convinced that i won't hate the look of it lol), but i may get some stiffer springs to accommodate for having the extra weight of a winch on the front.

i'll def be picking your brain in the future, if you don't mind.
Good update!

Build to your purpose, to your wheeling style, and to your budget. 1" body lift is a really practical way to gain some clearance, it's not rocket science to install and can be uninstalled even faster. Best of all it is cheap. Stiffer springs may make it ride a little rougher, just keep that in mind. Some budget boost pucks at 3/4" tall with the stock springs would level most any winch front out nicely. Pick my brain any time. Great read, this build thread!

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."

Unread 08-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #117
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsofstone View Post
Good update!

Build to your purpose, to your wheeling style, and to your budget. 1" body lift is a really practical way to gain some clearance, it's not rocket science to install and can be uninstalled even faster. Best of all it is cheap. Stiffer springs may make it ride a little rougher, just keep that in mind. Some budget boost pucks at 3/4" tall with the stock springs would level most any winch front out nicely. Pick my brain any time. Great read, this build thread!
why thank you sir

i'm not afraid of spending money on crawley. but the money i do spend, i want to spend as wisely as possible. in a lot of ways, i am looking to maintain a "stock" -ish look (aside from the wider stance, bumpers, winch, and the soft top i have in mind being "fastback" style). i think for the majority of terrain here, my height is good and well complimented by my wider stance.

as for the springs, i fear not a stiff ride. if i wanted a cadillac, crawley would have been a poor choice. however, i don't fully understand which pucks you mean. do you mean the ones that sit on top of the shocks or something else? if this is a better solution, i'm totally down.

thanks for the support and data guys. i appreciate it a lot. you'd be surprised what a motivator it is to do things to the jeep, and remind myself to take pictures so i can share. or maybe you wouldn't given you have your own build threads too, and probably know the feeling. the encouragement is pretty nice, especially given that a lot of people look at me like "why does that excite you?" whenever i talk about anything i plan on doing to my jeep.

on a less related note, i'm still on the lookout for full soft doors for less expensive than new. i have some silly idea about a cross-country excursion, and i would like to leave the full steel doors at home. i gather with the softies, they will take up less space/weight, and i can bicycle lock them to my rollbar when not in use. (maybe even all four parts with one lock, like the frugal bastard i am~

Unread 08-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #118
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
why thank you sir

i'm not afraid of spending money on crawley. but the money i do spend, i want to spend as wisely as possible. in a lot of ways, i am looking to maintain a "stock" -ish look (aside from the wider stance, bumpers, winch, and the soft top i have in mind being "fastback" style). i think for the majority of terrain here, my height is good and well complimented by my wider stance.

as for the springs, i fear not a stiff ride. if i wanted a cadillac, crawley would have been a poor choice. however, i don't fully understand which pucks you mean. do you mean the ones that sit on top of the shocks or something else? if this is a better solution, i'm totally down.

thanks for the support and data guys. i appreciate it a lot. you'd be surprised what a motivator it is to do things to the jeep, and remind myself to take pictures so i can share. or maybe you wouldn't given you have your own build threads too, and probably know the feeling. the encouragement is pretty nice, especially given that a lot of people look at me like "why does that excite you?" whenever i talk about anything i plan on doing to my jeep.

on a less related note, i'm still on the lookout for full soft doors for less expensive than new. i have some silly idea about a cross-country excursion, and i would like to leave the full steel doors at home. i gather with the softies, they will take up less space/weight, and i can bicycle lock them to my rollbar when not in use. (maybe even all four parts with one lock, like the frugal bastard i am~
To "ball on a budget" is to spend money where it counts! You're on track. Like I said, build to your wheeling style, terrain, and budget. I am referring to the lift pucks that sit on top of the shocks. That maintains the stock ride quality while increasing clearance. Check out what tinyjeep is doing with his TJ on his build thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2...0/index41.html

A build thread is worthless without pictures in my opinion. Post them up!

Been looking for softie's too. People sure want a couple arms and a leg for them, but I can understand why they would be hesitant to get rid of them...real nice to have.

Unread 09-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #119
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

tentative update:

alright folks, no tech stuff here but instead i have some good news and some updates.

first things first: remember that package i have been whining about not having received for MONTHS?

IT'S FINALLY ON ITS WAY TO ME

i have a few goodies in there that will allow me the opportunity and responsibility of doing a write up. i don't remember if i mentioned what would be in there, but if i haven't we have some surprises. if i have, then i am a senile old **** and you can disregard the previous sentence. hopefully it will arrive in time for my next bit of news:

i am going to this- http://sheriffsjeepfest.com/

well... hopefully. i have my plans to do so, and the only thing that can stop me at this point is that one of my co-workers may possibly need me to cover his shift for that weekend due to a family emergency.

i so far have no word that anything may cause that eventuality for sure, but my co-worker is in a bad situation, and i prefer to prepare myself psychologically for the worst.

so anyway, thanks for following along and wish me luck. if all goes well, i should have a friend that can shoot pics of the occurrence and i will be sure to plaster a ton of them here. the weather looks like it's going to be crap... which means i have to bring my hard top and doors.

anyone else going?

Unread 09-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #120
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

so as fate would have it...

my f***ing package that had my jeepstuff in it was waiting on my doorstep when i got home from jeepfest. i'll post some pics and maybe some vid later tonight. i need to review the content. i can assure you the language is NSFW, but i just want to make sure i protect my identity a bit.

also, i bought something while i was there, and i was ABSOLUTELY glad i did. i'll talk more about that on the next post as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.