Crawley's story <3 - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Crawley's story <3

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-31-2012, 02:39 PM   #91
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterpookie View Post
eek. i don't really have a place i could put an amp.... and it also touches on my "someone will steal it" mentality. is that audio processor relatively low profile?
They are, but all of them require aftermarket amplifiers. It's best to go with a quality aftermarket head unit though. I recomend Alpine for the best sound quality, or Pioneer for being the easiest aftermarket radio to use. I worked in a car audio shop for 10 years BTW, so I've tried everything at least once.

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #92
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

the head unit would basically obviate my need for amps etc. which i would prefer. i don't really wanna deal with amp/sub placement. but i would need to find a way to make it theft resistant... and secure from the elements. i guess there's those things from quadtratec....

and i would also need an aux lin in. smartphone is smart.

CRAWLEY'S STORY <3 (sort of a build thread)
FOR SALE: SOFT TOP WITH FRAME FROM A 99
misterpookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 04:24 PM   #93
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
the head unit would basically obviate my need for amps etc. which i would prefer. i don't really wanna deal with amp/sub placement. but i would need to find a way to make it theft resistant... and secure from the elements. i guess there's those things from quadtratec....

and i would also need an aux lin in. smartphone is smart.
I had to google obviate, lol!

2006 LJ SOLD!
Unread 05-31-2012, 06:34 PM   #94
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I had to google obviate, lol!
today's jeeping brought to you by the letter "O"

an enemy of mine in a fit of rage accused me of having "word a day" toilet paper. it was hard to be mad at him for that.

Unread 06-01-2012, 02:35 AM   #95
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
today's jeeping brought to you by the letter "O"

an enemy of mine in a fit of rage accused me of having "word a day" toilet paper. it was hard to be mad at him for that.
Lol!

2006 LJ SOLD!
Unread 06-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #96
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

what is this?

Unread 06-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #97
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

long delayed update

okay, so it has been a while since i wrote here. i was embroiled in a battle with best buy over replacing the speakers i had displayed up there (i was sold an open box unit without being told.)

the cone in one of the speakers rotated freely, there were metal shavings on the magnets, and everything that was supposed to come with them was gone from the package.

hell was raised, and chaos ensued and eventually i did fell the titans of best buy. they gave unto me the updated version of the same product for the same price, though not without incident.

worth noting is that when i installed them, positive and negative did not seem to be an issue? i had no reliable way to confirm positive/negative wires coming from the sending unit, and thought i got lucky to get a signal the first time i touched the wires to the terminals of the speaker. just to be sure, i did it the other way and had an identical result.

at this point i shrugged, said **** it, and crimped some quick connects to the wires.

i think i mentioned before that the speaker housings in the jeep must have been put in my a drunk man with parkinsons. the holes for the screws are SERIOUSLY all out of sync, and getting the housing back on is nothing short of a fine art mixed with a bit of brutality. nonetheless, mission accomplished.

now i can irritate people with the music i enjoy again.

at some point i shall need to redo the front speakers, as now i cannot even tell they exist by contrast. (well, one doesn't... to be fair.)

also of note, crawley and i had an excursion!

a friend of mine (the one i mentioned that has her own jeep and was inspiration for my desire for the aux lights) was trying to show me some homes she was interested in buying. they are only accessible with a 4wd vehicle. she wanted to hop along in mine, because while she loves her yj, i hazard to say i think she's a bit jealous of how awesome crawley is.

as can be expected, we got distracted when we saw little trails that seemed to go nowhere.

we happened down this one particular trail that at points let me to being almost 45 degrees off-camber. normally, this kind of thing would only alarm me a wee bit, but this day was worse because of further environmental factors. namely: a thick layer of slick dead leaves and heavy rain.

let me say this: people think mud is slick? you have no idea until you have a metric ****-ton of dead wet leaves.

i seriously thought i was going to have one of those moments where you slide sideways into a tree. my passenger noted that at least the tress would stop us from sliding further down or heaven forbid: teaching crawley how to roll over and play dead

nonetheless, we made it. no sliding.

unfortunately, we did not plan for what was ahead. the trail terminated into a ton of dense foliage of the large wooden variety. worse yet, i was stupid enough to pull further into that mess than i should have. to be fair, it's not like the trail was terribly wide, and backing down the way we came was *NOT* an option.

so i tried to turn around.

sadly, this resulted in crawley being placed between two trees, as though i were parallel parking in manhattan. there was literally about three inches of space between each tree and my bumpers on either end. :

at this point i executed what i call a "jeep-rotation" or what the common man would call a "21 point turn". basically moving the jeep an inch or two at a time, back and forth until i could fully escape. this is where the slickness of those leaves really paid off, as it allowed me to fully turn my steering wheel both directions repeatedly without digging a hole.

on one of the final "points" of my turn, or jeep-rotation, i looked at my brother and said "you know why they call it a bumper?" before i perhaps got a little more exuberant with the skinny pedal than i needed to. pictures of the result will follow.

caveat: the entire time i was making small love-taps with the bumpers against the trees behind and in front of me. i really had no option, because i assure you i am not exaggerating how tight this was.

so eventually we managed to rotate our way out and go back the way we came. these are pics of the results:

"THIS IS WHY THEY CALL IT A BUMPER!"
i just realized there's STILL bark there.

also managed to get a wee bit of trail rash here

nothing some touch up paint can't fix, right?

so these are crawley's first war-wounds with me. i am debating between removing the jug entirely, or pulling it off and shaping it back since it actually did what it was supposed to for once.

after that, my friend wanted to take some pics of her jeep and my jeep hanging out and being friends. this is the result.

i did mention she inspired the lights, right?

thanks for reading along guys. more to come

Unread 06-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #98
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

some random thoughts running about in my head

so i have pretty much decided that i want to get the bestop trektop NX. i LOVE the fact that it can be a safari top and the sunrider is kinda cool. honestly, i will likely run with it safari style as often as possible, and just keep the windows with me in case of inclement weather.

in a similar vein, i want to get a set of the soft doors to go with it eventually. i get the impression that it would be relatively easy to carry them onboard since they are two pieces, and use them when absolutely necessary.

you see, not only do i like the versatility... but i also want to take crawley on a cross-country excursion at some point. going light seems like a great idea to me.

i have traveled a similar course in a jeep before. it was my ex gf's '06 SE (going through mountains with the neon engine was not fun times. there were parts of arizona that i only managed to keep a reasonable pace by drafting behind semi trucks. they were really cool about it. ) and i made that trip with only a safari top. that was great in the desert, but i forgot about how different the weather would be in louisiana. SO MUCH RAIN

honestly wouldn't have been so bad if we could have kept moving.

anyway, enough reminiscing. the point is, i wanna get the equipment to go on long road trips with crawley and still have the ability to go doorless/windowless LIKE A BAWSE. i could go with the hard top, but that is seriously not the same.

so, if anyone knows any good deals on soft doors/trektop NX, please guide my wallet.

also of note, i DID make a classified for the soft top that crawley came with. so far, it seems to not have generated much interest. maybe the price is wrong?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/...ndows-1375020/

i may actually put it in my signature like a whore.

Last edited by misterpookie; 06-12-2012 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: clarification
Unread 06-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #99
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

tactical calibration

there's a good thing about not having a ridiculous surplus of money at your disposal when it comes to having a jeep. i know that anyone reading that last sentence may be thinking i lost my damn mind, but if you have read this far in the thread, then you may have come to that conclusion long ago.

that good thing is that in the lull of surplus funds you find yourself planning. scheming. figuring out your next moves, and planning down the line. examples being my last post about "software" (c'mon, it's clever!), and the post i am making now which is basically a reaffirmation about my plans for suspension/clearance/etc.

as previously noted, i have looked at the LCOG builds as an inspiration, but the plan was never to use them as a blueprint. this remains the case. the following is a snippet of conversation i was having with a forum user via PM. after having written it, i realized i should place it here before it escaped my mind:

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterpookie
i would rather solve a problem logically than just be tall enough to say "meh, screw it". also, i don't want to deal with the complications of doing a suspension lift, especially in regards to the higher likelyhood of deathwobble. beyond that, the thing that people GRIEVOUSLY over look when it comes to their ground clearance is that you have four low points (at least in a TJ):

your TC (which can be solved with a tummy tuck)
your steering box (cover it in armor, it's your only hope)
gas tank (another case of resigning yourself to armoring it and repainting it when you drag it. though i will probably raise mine at some point)
and the clincher... your differentials. the diff is a special problem. you see, ALL the other problems can be relieved (if not necessarily solved) with a suspension lift. however the only way to get your diffs up is to increase tire size. most people are only running 33s or 35s anyway, and when you think about it going from a 32 inch tire to a 33 only nets you about half an inch more clearance from your diff to the ground. so to me the only reason to go crazy with a suspension lift is for the purposes of adjusting how it rides and trying to fit ridiculously oversized tires in your wheel well. i'm generally disinterested in both. totally not practical.
also of note is that i know it is a good idea to armor your oil pan, but i am not so sure i would call it "low" in comparison to the other components listed. my math may be incorrect on the diff height/tire diameter ratio, but either way... the logic is still there. tire size increase has to be dramatic to be effective in any way. (which is why real LCOGs get comically large tires. they work. however it's worth noting that a rig that is built on the traditional LCOG ideal is probably not a practical daily driver.)

i'm going more for the idea of ACOG. (alternate center of gravity. yes, i made that up, and no, it doesn't help you shoot.. i would call it LCOG because in a lot of ways i feel it is a bit more accurate in concept, but those guys already have the name. ). the idea of which is to get more clearance from the things i CAN fix, and keep my stance wide with as little lift as possible. the principle behind wheeling it will be not to hit the diffs... which is pretty standard issue anyway.

and just because people like pictures:

those were taken in autumn of last year at 5pm. (late afternoon) that's not morning fog. it's just crazy to me.

Unread 06-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #100
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

2006 LJ SOLD!
Unread 06-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #101
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

necro, i love you. no homo.

also of note: that's my back yard.

Unread 06-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #102
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
necro, i love you. no homo.

also of note: that's my back yard.
Seriously? Now I'm all messed up... should I come down there and film a sick foggy Jeeping industrial video, or should you come up here to Virginia and play in the mud and the rocks??? I must admit that I'm kinda partial to the foggy industrial Jeep vid though... lol!

2006 LJ SOLD!
Unread 06-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #103
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
Seriously? Now I'm all messed up... should I come down there and film a sick foggy Jeeping industrial video, or should you come up here to Virginia and play in the mud and the rocks??? I must admit that I'm kinda partial to the foggy industrial Jeep vid though... lol!
we'll have to wait until late autumn and hope for the best. i may check the exif data on those and see if i can find the weather report for that day to see if we could predict an optimal time.

Unread 06-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #104
CharlieDog
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I rofled at "word a day" toilet paper. I need some of that.
CharlieDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 08:11 PM   #105
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
I rofled at "word a day" toilet paper. I need some of that.
i just spent 30 minutes looking for a place on the internet that sells it. i came up with nothing. sadly, my best recommendation is keeping a dictionary in the restroom.

word to the wise: dictionary pages are generally thin and not quilted.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.