Crawley's story <3 - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Crawley's story <3

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #61
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterpookie View Post
hmm... worth checking into....

does it make me a d-bag that a factor in purchasing those for me is whether they would clash with my KC lights?
I don't like the beam pattern on the truck lights. It looks like a whole bunch of LED flashlights all pointed together.

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 05:59 AM   #62
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

ew. i think you may have unsold me on interest.

to be fair, i don't have much to say that's negative about crawley's headlamps. i dunno if that's because i haven't blacked out my chrome bezels or if it's because i am acclimated to much worse lighting on my previous vehicle. (the vehicle i drove between jeeps shall not be named here for fear that i will be accused of having a set of ovaries~

CRAWLEY'S STORY <3 (sort of a build thread)
FOR SALE: SOFT TOP WITH FRAME FROM A 99
misterpookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #63
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

i was going to install my aux lights today....

but then i took a basement door to the knee.

lame as it is, the above is completely true. i managed to bash the **** out of my knee on the basement door and now it's got a huge lump. i tried to walk it off, but that was a poor decision apparently, and my fam is making me keep ice on it.

i am starting to get the impression that reality does not wish for me to get these lights onto crawley and that makes me sad.

on an unrelated note: i happen to have the "dual top" on crawley, but i am unsure if i have all the hardware, and i know for a fact i don't have the side/rear windows. the header on it seems to have a little damage (but it doesn't look like anything that would impair its functionality), and i have yet to unfurl it to see how the fabric itself looks. anyone know about how much i could sell it for?

Unread 05-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #64
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i was going to install my aux lights today....

but then i took a basement door to the knee.

lame as it is, the above is completely true. i managed to bash the **** out of my knee on the basement door and now it's got a huge lump. i tried to walk it off, but that was a poor decision apparently, and my fam is making me keep ice on it.

i am starting to get the impression that reality does not wish for me to get these lights onto crawley and that makes me sad.

on an unrelated note: i happen to have the "dual top" on crawley, but i am unsure if i have all the hardware, and i know for a fact i don't have the side/rear windows. the header on it seems to have a little damage (but it doesn't look like anything that would impair its functionality), and i have yet to unfurl it to see how the fabric itself looks. anyone know about how much i could sell it for?
Suck it up! You don't need your knees to install aux lighting, a jack handle and some ductape and you'll be good as new!

2006 LJ SOLD!
Unread 05-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #65
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
Suck it up! You don't need your knees to install aux lighting, a jack handle and some ductape and you'll be good as new!
i've been thinking the same thing. i'm probs just going to pull it into the garage (which happens to be mercifully empty) and do it that way tonight.

Unread 05-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #66
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i've been thinking the same thing. i'm probs just going to pull it into the garage (which happens to be mercifully empty) and do it that way tonight.
You work on your Jeep in a garage? When I was your age I had to walk up hill in the snow, both ways, just to get a different sized wrench!

2006 LJ SOLD!
Unread 05-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #67
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You work on your Jeep in a garage? When I was your age I had to walk up hill in the snow, both ways, just to get a different sized wrench!
this is actually the FIRST time crawley has been in a garage in my care. even just to hang out.

my knee and i came to a compromise. namely, it kept yelling at me about how much it hurt, and i insisted that it shut up, since knees aren't made for complaining.

i will post up the results in a bit after i type it out and upload pics. it was about a three and a half hour ordeal for two newbs who were also debating ergonomics/aesthetics the whole time.

feel free to make fun of me for taking so long. some of that time was also spent experiencing driving without a windshield for the first (and likely last*) time, and aiming the lights.

on an unrelated note, i see in your profile you list industrial... would you hate me if i told you have seen both combichrist AND panzer AG live? (for the latter, i was drunk as **** riding a carousel horse backwards. not even exaggerating. it was a great show~)

*only "last" because i would have to remove the lights i just installed in order to do so, not because of any distaste for it.

Unread 05-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #68
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
on an unrelated note, i see in your profile you list industrial... would you hate me if i told you have seen both combichrist AND panzer AG live? (for the latter, i was drunk as **** riding a carousel horse backwards. not even exaggerating. it was a great show~)
I sent you a PM. I like Combichrist, I hadn't actually heard of Panzer AG until you mentioned them. I've been checking them out on YouTube and they're pretty good, so yeah, I'm jealous, lol!

2006 LJ SOLD!
Unread 05-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #69
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

aux lights part one:

as previously noted, i managed to bash the crap outta my knee yesterday, and was feeling discouraged about having to delay installing my aux lights YET AGAIN. i posted about it here, and gave it more thought. then i remembered there was an empty garage (and some heavy rains), and i figured i could pull it inside and take my time.

then necro basically called me out for being a sissy.

so i conscripted my brother, and we went out to remove crawley's hard top. the last few days, i have left crawley's doors off, and at some point, some a**hole cat decided to crap in my back seat.

i cleaned it up and used a ton of this whilst scowling at every cat that came near me and making snarling noises to chase them away:

in the mean time, while i was there, i decided to say eff it and removed crawley's soft top. seems mostly intact, and may have more of the hardware than i thought, but still no side windows or rear window, and there is a bit of damage to the header.

f*** you kitty, go away.

this part looks a little grungy, but not bad.

back to the topic, a friend of mine had installed her aux lighting and had informed me that she had done it by folding down her windshield instead of drilling. since i prefer the option to revert crawley back to stock if i feel the desire, opting out of drilling sounded pretty damn good to me.

so it was that we began to lower the windshield. while we were looking at it, i armorall'd the top of the windshield frame.... because it looked like it had never been done.

i ALMOST got overzealous and removed the sport bars, but decided against it as it was not necessary to the operation at hand. (though if i were to do it again, i would consider removing them, as they do impair a lot of vertical space, and if you happen to need to keep one leg straight for some reason, it's not a bad way to go.)

btw, a tip for future newbies: the bolts that connect the sport bars to the windshield and the bolts that go in the side of the windshield (right in front of your mirror if your door is closed and you happen to still have that thing on there) are different sizes. just barely.

the longer one on the left is the one that goes to the side of the windshield. keep this in mind, or keep the separated. they are not pals~

and here is the result:

since i have never had crawley's windshield down before, i figured it was time to go for a ride. the manual says not to do this, but if that's an issue, why did they give me the capability to do so?

this excursion was a brief one due to rain and the fact that it's difficult to drive with water being forced into your eyes.

anyway, with that distraction over we returned to the garage and looked at what we had to work with. we decided to remove.... whatever the **** this is:

we figured that would give us a good way to conceal the wiring, and also gave me a chance to find some missing quarters i happened to have left in that useless little cubby on top of my dash, that happened to escape while crawley was making some daring maneuver or another.

we pretty much followed basic instructions for this part. it said to find a ground, and we did. on both sides there is a tiny bolt that is attached to some misc. bracket thing (i know my technical terms here are amazing) and we used those. you'll want to use a 10mm socket for those

you can also see in those pics how we had the wiring run. i opted to have the excess cable run closer to the driver's side as it gave me the most space to work with for my switch.

these are the splicers that it comes with. ignore the instructions they give you here.

the instructions tell you to run the green cable against the metal part, then use pliers to close it until it clicks, then insert the red cable from the light.

whoever wrote that direction should be hit in the head with something large... or maybe they already have been. it is MUCH easier to insert the red cable before sealing it and there are no adverse effects.

after this, we crimped the metal cable covers of the lights, and folded them into the windhsield which we brought back up. and bolted back into place. the visible part is as such:

not beautiful, but you'd have to look really hard to criticize it.

after following the rest of the directions we had to run a line to the battery. i had to feed some cable through a hole in the firewall right about here:

which emerges here

you'll note i was a lazyass and ran the cable alongside the grommet in there. i had to use my leatherman to wedge it aside and feed it through and then re-seat it by pulling at it with the pliers. sounds easy, but it was a pain.

for those that wonder, the nut on the battery terminal is 13mm.

we ran the line from the battery over to the driver's side and fastened everything down using the provided zip ties to fasten it to that cable cover that runs along the top there.

yes, my engine compartment is grody. i am actually looking to find the best method to clean it, so if you are cringing at that and have recommendations, feel free to criticize me with them

the two cables meet up with a fuse that is similar to the splicers. we placed that pretty close to the hole, and admittedly, probably should have given the cable a bit more slack than we did. i didn't take a pic because i was already a bit more aggravated than need be.

now for the embarrassment: since i am unsure of where i ABSOLUTELY want my switch, i have a LOT of cable to play with on it since it's easier to cut cable than to add it.

i am probably going to mount the switch just below the console's turn signal arm, but i want to try it with double sided tape for a while before comitting to putting a hole there. many of you would probably recommend using the open switch spot near my 12v plug, but i want something i can hit as fast as i can disable my brights, and i plan on installing foglights.... which will occupy that final switch spot.

now the part i was waiting for.... results:

just headlights:

with aux lights:

if you got this far, thanks for reading.

Unread 05-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #70
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I sent you a PM. I like Combichrist, I hadn't actually heard of Panzer AG until you mentioned them. I've been checking them out on YouTube and they're pretty good, so yeah, I'm jealous, lol!
note to self: start an industrial jeepers group.

Unread 05-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #71
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
note to self: start an industrial jeepers group.
So far I think you and I are the only Goth/Industrial/Redneck/Gearheads on Jeep Forum.... LMAO!

2006 LJ SOLD!
Unread 05-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #72
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So far I think you and I are the only Goth/Industrial/Redneck/Gearheads on Jeep Forum.... LMAO!
i lay no claim to the "redneck" title.... the rest... guilty as charged.

Unread 05-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #73
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i lay no claim to the "redneck" title.... the rest... guilty as charged.
Me neither, my room mates call me that because I like Jeeps, lol!

2006 LJ SOLD!
Unread 05-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #74
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nice write up on the lights! How bad is the hood glare when you have them on?

2006 LJ SOLD!
Unread 05-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #75
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

so far it seems minimal because i went with the ranged ones instead of the floods. this may change when i clean my hood again. lol

but i don't think it'll be an issue. also helps to have "all black everything" like jay-z said.

as an aside, if you stand a few feet away from the light but still in its beam, you can FEEL the heat. that's gonna be fun to play with on a foggy day. (not to drive with, just to play)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.