Crawley's story <3 - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Crawley's story <3

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 04-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #31
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

so... i spent some time on the internet today....

shopping.jpg  

CRAWLEY'S STORY <3 (sort of a build thread)
FOR SALE: SOFT TOP WITH FRAME FROM A 99
misterpookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #32
Tenshots1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Daylighters r a great buy. I have the exact same ones and love em.

btw where u gunna put em?
Unread 04-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #33
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshots1 View Post
Daylighters r a great buy. I have the exact same ones and love em.

btw where u gunna put em?

if you click the fullsize of these and look REALLY close, you'll see that my mirror brackets are also light mounts

this one is a closer shot, but harder to see because of "environmental interference".

Unread 04-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #34
Tenshots1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

yea i see em. Those will work nicely! I personally found wiring through the cowl to be a pain. Good news is you only gotta do it once
Unread 04-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #35
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshots1 View Post
yea i see em. Those will work nicely! I personally found wiring through the cowl to be a pain. Good news is you only gotta do it once
how did you go about it? i debated cheating for about 30 seconds and running it through the vent in the middle, but realized that would make crawley look stupid and it was also impractical. in case something snagged it.

i gather i have to take the cowl off, but how mad will it smash my wires to reassemble?

Unread 04-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #36
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Look what came today! Crawley is excited~

forumrunner_20120421_172011.jpg

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120421_172011.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	384818

Unread 04-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #37
vix6546
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Those should do the job. Any luck finding someone to make you some seat covers?

And I have to ask ,why is the milk jug gone from the drivers side but still on the passenger side of the bumper?
vix6546 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #38
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vix6546
Those should do the job. Any luck finding someone to make you some seat covers?

And I have to ask ,why is the milk jug gone from the drivers side but still on the passenger side of the bumper?
Still searching for decent seat covers. Found some companies use "neo-supreme" which is supposed to hold color and breathe better than normal neoprene. Needs further research before I pull the trigger.

As for the jug, I was pondering that myself today. I really wanna claim laziness, but to be fair things have been hectic.

So.... Laziness.

Unread 04-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #39
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

so as coincidence would have it, the pic i double-posted up there was taken about 5 minutes before i had to leave, and at this particular moment crawley still does not have them installed.

instead we went to explore a bit of our new home.

i was on my way to visit a friend who was having an open house at her art gallery (also a jeeper. i have tried numerous times to get her to sign up here, but she is either apathetic to the idea of the forum or perhaps too busy. probably busy. she never sleeps.)
we hung out for a bit and my friend decided it was a great time to visit her property in elijay that is undeveloped and accessible only by a 4wd vehicle.

so as irony would have it, crawley had his first night-climb the same day he got his aux lights, but they were not installed. i had my brother take some shots on the way up:

i dunno if you can tell from these pics, but the incline was pretty good.
the whole thing would have been better with my new lights, but i think it's good that i got to do it without them first. it'll give me a better appreciation for when i *do* have them installed.

i also took a few shots of us around the fire and tried to get crawley in the shots too. he looked a bit lonely because we told him he couldn't sit by the fire, so i gave him a drink.

i dunno if he liked it though.

and here's us by the fire with crawley in the back... his parking lights are on, and he is still barely visible. poor guy

after all that, this is a vid of us on the way down. some of the language is NSFW but it's not gratuitous. mostly just a bunch of people picking on eachother. that's how we show love. <3
also of note, the beginning will be a bit loud since my brother had NO idea how sensitive my mic on my phone is.
you may notice at the end some confusion about a house. that house is apparently my friend's neighbor that she was unaware of. she thought it was empty until we saw the car parked there, and we were worried that they may have no clue who we were since we didn't know they existed.

(click the following pic, that will start video playback in a separate window)

well, i know that this isn't really relevant to a "build", but i think it was a good time for all involved and it will give me a better perspective with regards to lighting.

thanks for reading!

Unread 04-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #40
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

speaking of laziness....

today my billet fuel door came in. i know i have had the KC lights for a few days now, but the time required (i do work, after all) to set that up will be a bigger ordeal than slapping this on.

my brother decided to take ownership of this project since he had a crappy day and felt the need to make something work. a simple project can still be a victory on a crappy day, i suppose.

so here is the gist of it in pictures.

pretty easy, though if you get the rampage cover, be aware that the screws provided are a tiny bit thicker than the stock screws. there will be resistance. futile, though it may be.

here's an old pic from earlier in the thread and a new pic for a "before and after" kinda thing.

before:

after:

note that installation of this fuel door may remove excess mud from your jeep and coincidentally install full doors. if any of these symptoms persist, contact the manufacturer.

Unread 05-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #41
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

And then?
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #42
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
And then?
sorry about the drop off. crawley has not ceased to exist or any such tragedy

sadly, i haven't had the chance to take him out to play for a bit either.

things have just been a bit hectic all over.

as an aside, the current orientation of my fuel door is driving me a bit crazy aesthetically. my brother swears that having it open the way it does now is better ergonomics, but it drives me crazy that it opens opposite the direction of the door.

best solution: remove door to eliminate frame of reference.

i still have yet to install the daylighters because of a busy schedule, but if i am lucky, i'll get to it this weekend. i'm going to temporarily mount the switchplate that they came with using double-sided tape so i can relocate it easily until i find where i want it to stay for real. i tend to be picky about ergonomics and i want it to be readily accessible so i can turn it on/off quickly in case i encounter some other insomniac soul cruising down the winding backroads of north georgia in the wee hours.

also of note, you guys have PROBABLY noticed sundowner's thread (click here to read it, as though he actually NEEDS another link to it lol), and he has inspired me to add a leatherman to my toolset. being the d-bag i am, i had to trump him and i ordered the leatherman surge with the 40 bit accessory kit and bit driver extension.

i managed to find a craftsman 200 piece toolset for $110 dollars when the 145 piece kit was running $130?
not gonna complain about that, and i feel i may be equipped for most things at this point. i still need to get an "easy out" for the stripped bolts, but i need to research that a bit more.

as ever, thanks for the read good sir. there is a lot more to come~

Unread 05-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #43
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

speaking of the removal of bolts, i have a general question: when i moved my mirrors the mount that was on my driver's side door is completely gone. the bolt holes are still there. should i fill those with something? i have recently come to the conclusion that rust may be an issue and crawley has had WAAAY too many problems with his left door from the beginning. we don't need him to get cancer there.

if i do fill it somehow, what should i use? i know that seems like an idiotic question, but i'm a computer geek first and learning this as i go.

Unread 05-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #44
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterpookie View Post
speaking of the removal of bolts, i have a general question: when i moved my mirrors the mount that was on my driver's side door is completely gone. the bolt holes are still there. should i fill those with something? i have recently come to the conclusion that rust may be an issue and crawley has had WAAAY too many problems with his left door from the beginning. we don't need him to get cancer there.

if i do fill it somehow, what should i use? i know that seems like an idiotic question, but i'm a computer geek first and learning this as i go.
back at this bolt-removal subject yet again (i never thought this would be my most recurring issue)

does anyone have experience with these?

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-pc-...p-00952154000P

basically, i need the best meant to get FUBARed bolts out, and there seems to be precious little advice on this.

as an aside, here's crawley on a rainy day a few days ago looking at me as if to say "boss, why can't we go out today?"

he's less than pleased about the lack of aux light installation, but i think he can come to cope with it until this weekend.

Unread 05-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #45
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

the mystery of the missing audio :ghost:

something i have been remiss to mention was that when i bought crawley, his driver's side front speaker was non-functioning. this wasn't a HUGE deal to me, so i just kinda ignored it, even if i was entirely too cognizant of the missing pieces of sound, i usually listen to music loud enough to hear it in other speakers

well before moving to GA officially, i made a jaunt up there to pick up my brother to help me pack my things in FL up. it was a long journey that i took alone, so needless to say the stereo and i were great friends.

as previously noted, i tend to listen to my music loud. ("if it's too loud, you're too old" as the saying goes, right?), and perhaps louder that day than usual because i figured i was only going to be driving for nine hours, so doors are for sissies. so i had to make it a bit louder to accommodate for highway-speed wind noises.

long and short, marilyn manson killed my speaker.

i know he has been accused of many heinous things in the past, but nothing has really stuck. there's been underwhelming evidence all around, but today... i turned up evidence for his crimes against me. (well, except the time he hit me in the face with a water bottle at a concert, but that's neither here nor there. i have witnesses, but we know how much that holds up in an investigation )

so at this point i have no audio in my driver's side front speaker or my passenger side rear speaker. this was unacceptable. unfortunately, i had to determine ifit was in fact a murder (of the speaker) or perhaps if it was circumstantial at best (for example a wiring issue).

so here is my possible victim:

so as mentioned earlier, i am a computer geek primarily, so when i realized i had an issue with things i happen to have two of, i was excited for the fact that troubleshooting that kinda thing is second nature to me. the speaker above was extracted a few weeks ago, i just never put it back in.

here is the speaker's former home. note that the connectors are still intact:

in the meantime, the speaker served the purpose of keeping my screws in one convenient place while i disassembled the other housing:

note for those who are going to disassemble these with the intent to possibly use the same wiring and/or speaker. these connectors are a bit wonky. you'll want to pull back gently on the clip that attaches to the bottom of the connector, rather than pressing on it for a release.

the reason i mention this is that many electronic connectors i am accustomed to have a place you can press your thumb to release the clip on them (which is not the case here), and it can be a bit awkward to try to simultaneously hold the housing, pull the clip AND try to separate the connector. having three hands would have helped.

so after disconnecting the driver's side rear speaker and connecting it to the housing as below, i heard music pouring through it.

excellent. now i know the wiring is fine and that "screw holder" was to be the passenger-rear speaker's final mission.

because i am a selfish bastard, i disconnected it from the passenger side and put it back where it came from. there was a method to my madness.

so the passenger side FRONT speaker works fine and now i'm in a mood (whilst eagerly awaiting for my leatherman to arrive via UPS), so it's time to troubleshoot the front now.

a word to the rookies: when undoing your speaker housings, be careful not to do this-

i messed up while trying to pry it off with the screwdriver. now crawley has a particularly lame scar. were this obtained offroad, it would be honorable. sadly, this was not the case. i will likely have to replace it to restore crawley's vanity.

now for the obligatory speaker pic:

as an aside, i found a clump of mud back behind there. evidence that at some point, crawley and i had an adventure wild enough to get a clump of mud BEHIND the speaker.

so much like my rear speaker ordeal, when i moved the passenger speaker to the driver's side, it worked. i then decided to leave it there, so now at least all my music is on the same side.... mine.

another thing to keep in mind- the screws that hold the actual speaker in are not threaded straight. they have a slight angle. if you are driving the screw back in and there's great resistance, stop immediately and feel it out with your hand instead of the driver. otherwise, you're going to strip the crap out of your thread. here is a picture for example.

the screw looks crooked as hell, but it is the way it is threaded. of slightly more aggravation, i guess these were done by a human rather than machine because while most screws seemed to go in the same general angle, there was one that was slightly more dramatic on the passenger side.

i left the dead speakers out of their housings, because there's no point putting them back. i did however reinsert the screws into the housings of the empty spots so i don't have to find them later.

that also shows you the top left screw being off-kilter. as previously noted, that is the original placement.

so now the issue at hand is replacing the speakers. i could do this with virtually any, but i am looking to preserve the original connectors, so i may end up going with the quadratec kits:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...1&kw=14133.2XX

they're a little costly, and i'm sure the audiophiles here are going to squirm at seeing that and the fact that i am keeping my original head unit (with tape deck!). fact is, i can connect my smartphone to the tape deck easily with one of those adapters, and rock MP3s or internet radio like a bawse.

the added perk is if someone were to stick their head in my jeep with the intent to steal my stereo, they will look at my tape deck and shake their head in disgust.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.