Crawley's story <3 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Crawley's story <3

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 04-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #16
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshots1 View Post
Although it seems like it should...it doesnt. Im still wondering how I rub with 33s and 4" of lift even with the bump stops...but o well.

Either way a LCOG DD with 33s is the way to go.
i think i may wind up doing that, though i am hesitant to call it an LCOG because i know some of the hardcore LCOGers will look at crawley's humble tires and make dismissive noises that will make crawley cry.

he only looks tough. on the inside, he's a softy.

CRAWLEY'S STORY <3 (sort of a build thread)
FOR SALE: SOFT TOP WITH FRAME FROM A 99
misterpookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #17
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

so... after reading a bit more on LCOGs and the inevitable argument about tummy tucks, i now have a crisis.

the rokmen skid $344 normally, but $289 currently (special price, they say?). made of steel, and tougher than an elephant's tender-parts....
(click here for info on the rokmen skid. yes, this is the third appearance of this link in my thread)

or the UCF for $374. all aluminum (crawley is sensitive about his weight), but i am unsure if it has the durability of the rokmen skid. very similar designs.
(click here for UCF skid info)

i know people have supported the entire weight of their rig on the rokmen skid using jackstands. i don't really plan on doing THAT, but the option DOES sound appealing.

Unread 04-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #18
Tenshots1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I would go for the Rokman because of the deal right now. Both skids are supposed to be pretty equally good. I would also look at either getting fenders with increased clearance or lifting it an inch or so.
Unread 04-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #19
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

sadly, my relocation to GA prohibits me from getting either one at just this moment.

i just wanna get my plan squared ahead of time, so i don't impulse buy important components. to be fair, i really like the idea of the aluminum since it's 27 lbs vs 60 some odd lbs? further research tells me that the steel will "give" sooner, but the aluminum will "fail" sooner. (from my knowledge of metals derived only from my fascination with swords, i am guessing that means the aluminum is more rigid where the steel will be more springy, but that's a half-educated guess).

weight is definitely something i want to keep an eye on, especially with regards to bumpers, armor etc. also means i see synthetic winch line in my future.

Unread 04-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #20
connor0770
1997 TJ Wrangler 

you have a very clean jeep!

Now about your skid plate. I wouldnt worry about breaking it or "giving" unless your doing some really hardcore wheeling. People end up putting all this stuff on their Jeep, but really its not needed. Unless you plan on wheeling JV or a place with big rocks back east, dont worry too much about it. I think you would be fine with aluminum especially if its your DD. Save that weight

Whatever you do please dont turn into a LCOG freak. Theres a point where people just take it too far. Good luck on your build, im gonna keep an eye on it.

EDIT: i noticed you said your afraid to go to 33's with the dana 30. I wouldnt worry at all. I wheel my 30 on 35's, locked. To break a 30 on 33's you would really have to be trying to break it. Heck, i wheel with a guy who has 37's on his dana 30 locked... Dont sweat it. Theres gonna be a lot of people here on the internet (web wheelers) who are gonna say "you need this and cant do this".. dont listen to them!
97 TJ Dana 30 w/ARB Solid Cover, Currie 4" lift, Ford 8.8 w/ Riddler Cover, Currie Steering, Trail Gear Front Bumper, LOD Rear Tire Carrier, Smittybuilt XRC8, 35" KM2's, 5100 Bilsteins, Teraflex Oil Pan Skid, Poison Spider Sliders, Rock Lights etc.
connor0770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #21
Tenshots1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

For the weight savings, I personally wouldn't spend the extra coin. But to each his own.
Unread 04-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #22
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by connor0770 View Post
you have a very clean jeep!

Now about your skid plate. I wouldnt worry about breaking it or "giving" unless your doing some really hardcore wheeling. People end up putting all this stuff on their Jeep, but really its not needed. Unless you plan on wheeling JV or a place with big rocks back east, dont worry too much about it. I think you would be fine with aluminum especially if its your DD. Save that weight

Whatever you do please dont turn into a LCOG freak. Theres a point where people just take it too far. Good luck on your build, im gonna keep an eye on it.

EDIT: i noticed you said your afraid to go to 33's with the dana 30. I wouldnt worry at all. I wheel my 30 on 35's, locked. To break a 30 on 33's you would really have to be trying to break it. Heck, i wheel with a guy who has 37's on his dana 30 locked... Dont sweat it. Theres gonna be a lot of people here on the internet (web wheelers) who are gonna say "you need this and cant do this".. dont listen to them!
to be honest, i don't anticipate too much "hardcore" wheeling, and keeping it DD friendly is definitely a goal. i figure the weight will help with fuel economy (you can all stop laughing now~ ), but i definitely wanna get armored up since i'm not going to do suspension lift and i AM pretty prone to random bouts of adventure time.

i don't think i am going to be an LCOG "freak", but i can definitely say that the mindset has inspired where i want to go with crawley. at the risk of sounding like a blasphemer i have never really cared for elaborate suspension lifts and all that entails. especially the increased chance of DW. keeping low and wide will get me most places i wanna go, i just won't likely be showing off his articulation overmuch.

though to be devil's advocate, i also want to succeed when i have a stupid idea to go somewhere other people are more hesitant to enter.

Unread 04-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #23
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshots1 View Post
For the weight savings, I personally wouldn't spend the extra coin. But to each his own.
well, so far it looks like the parts that i would want in aluminum are only marginally more expensive than their steel counterparts. for example, the UCF skid is only $30 more expensive than the rokmen when both are normal price, and since i won't be able to get the rokmen before the "special price" runs out, i kinda have to look at that as a factor, and the UCF skid is manufactured MUCH closer to me. it'll be cheaper shipping, or if i feel fickle, i could consider driving to get it .

damn. it sounds like i have sold myself on that. interesting.

i updated my second post to reflect what i have in mind now. i listed some more things i am considering picking up, and i have to say, costs are adding up.
this is going to be a bit of a slow process, so i apologize in advance.

Unread 04-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #24
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I already love this thread. Crawley is awesome. And has a awesome name too.

1988 Jeep Comanche 4x4 Longbed - POS
Tylerzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #25
vix6546
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I applaud you for your patience. I'm kind of in the same boat you are. I have a 04' RME that I want to spruce up a little, but don't want to get to crazy with lifts and things because it is also my DD. Doing some small additions here and there will improve off road ability just enough to be able to trail run with the ability to tackle any crazy situations that pop up on the trail. Good luck with your build, I'm going to keep an eye on it. If I ever find all the parts for my camera I'll post updates on mine as they occure now that I'm back to working full time.
vix6546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 12:23 AM   #26
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerzap View Post
I already love this thread. Crawley is awesome. And has a awesome name too.
thank you sir. do you have a build thread for your CJ yet? it'd be cool to see what you have to start with and where you end up with it. you're a braver man than i going for a restore like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vix6546 View Post
I applaud you for your patience. I'm kind of in the same boat you are. I have a 04' RME that I want to spruce up a little, but don't want to get to crazy with lifts and things because it is also my DD. Doing some small additions here and there will improve off road ability just enough to be able to trail run with the ability to tackle any crazy situations that pop up on the trail. Good luck with your build, I'm going to keep an eye on it. If I ever find all the parts for my camera I'll post updates on mine as they occure now that I'm back to working full time.
congrats on your employment improvement! this is the first time i have found myself with enough gainful employment to even begin to THINK about an undertaking like this.

don't tell crawley, but i am a bit envious of the RME. i was originally looking at the 65th anniversary edition, but sadly luck and purchasing power were not with me that day. having one of the limited editions would be cool in general though to be fair... i would be afraid to mod it because of its status.

either way, crawley is good for me. he has a lot of features that i like, and some i am learning to love (i'm still acclimating to an automatic, let alone one with only three speeds but i hear it has more torque, so meh?). i just need to get him presentable.

Unread 04-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #27
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Seat Cover Considerations

so, as previously noted, i want to make crawley's interior primarily black/grey with purple accents. a big step in doing this would be seat covers.

as it turns out, apparently purple is not a popular color among jeepers (i can't imagine why!)

sadly, this leads me to being stuck looking at wet okole seat covers. they look really nice, but i hear they cause swamp-butt and fade relatively quickly.

i have looked into iggees and coverking, and bestop, but they do not have the color i am going for.

am i missing an option somewhere?

Unread 04-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #28
vix6546
2004 TJ Wrangler 

As far as your seats go, maybe talk with a local upholestry shop and see if they can meet or match the price of covers in the color you want. Most shops these days are looking for any kind of work they can get. Might be worth while. Thanks for the congrats on employment, 5th day tomorow. I have to say I'm not real impressed with some of my co-workers so far, they tend to spend alot more time complaining about the bosses than they do about getting their job done. I have a strange feeling that I'll end up being in charge within 3-4 months. I guess that means more money to put into the rig. Anyway, sorry to rant about work. Talk with the locals about your seats and let us know.

Craig V.
vix6546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #29
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vix6546 View Post
As far as your seats go, maybe talk with a local upholestry shop and see if they can meet or match the price of covers in the color you want. Most shops these days are looking for any kind of work they can get. Might be worth while. Thanks for the congrats on employment, 5th day tomorow. I have to say I'm not real impressed with some of my co-workers so far, they tend to spend alot more time complaining about the bosses than they do about getting their job done. I have a strange feeling that I'll end up being in charge within 3-4 months. I guess that means more money to put into the rig. Anyway, sorry to rant about work. Talk with the locals about your seats and let us know.

Craig V.
that's not a bad idea at all. i'm usually a fan of supporting local businesses if i can. maybe i can find someone that will make custom sport bar covers, since my gorilla-esque brother mutilated the passenger side one with amateur jeepnastics.

on the note of local businesses, the owner of http://www.classiccityoffroad.com was really cool and welcomed me to Ga (i'm relocating there sunday). i'm eager to get a look at their shop and see some of their work.

Unread 04-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #30
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

crawley and i have finally relocated to GA. it was a ten hour drive, and he had a good amount of extra weight. on the way up, we managed about 17.5 MPG on the average at about 3,000 RPMs/70 MPH.

since i have arrived, i removed the doors and have seen my fuel economy drop to about 15 MPG.

as an aside, crawley was clean before our brief jaunt to the store:

but he seems to be happy in his new home with three dimensional terrain and winding roads that stretch on forever. on that note, i have updated the second post to reflect my considerations about auxiliary lighting. the back roads here are practically begging for them.

i may have a small issue setting up fog lights as i don't think i have a factory harness for them? i may take it to classic city offroad and make my fog light wiring problem their problem.

as an aside, i went to see them. really friendly people all around and if you get teary-eyed when you see jeeps older than you are, bring some kleenex and try not to let other people see you be a sissy.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.