Crawley's story <3 - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Crawley's story <3

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #181
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

after a bit of soul-searching and introspection, i have realized that i cannot put the black twill trektop on Crawley. it's more flash than utility.

and while i like the idea of Crawley looking nice, i don't need a top that's going to make me worry every time i pass under a low-hanging tree.

CRAWLEY'S STORY <3 (sort of a build thread)
FOR SALE: SOFT TOP WITH FRAME FROM A 99
misterpookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #182
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome back!

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 02:51 AM   #183
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

CB Antenna mount? Looks like a start to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
Welcome back!
thank you sir!

so it begins again....

the money.

it always starts small, doesn't it?

so this is going to be my new acquisition.

it's inexpensive and requires no drilling. call me a baby, but i always consider that a plus. i hate the mounts that go on tail lights, because i know i'll be dumb, go under something low-hanging, and snap the whole light off.

now we await the shipping, and if anyone is curious how it is when i get it, many pictures will ensue.

Unread 12-31-2013, 10:22 AM   #184
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just finished reading the thread . I am envious of guys like you and Sundowner that are able to convey your thoughts to paper so well.

And this is the best picture that will be reposted on JF today
Unread 12-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #185
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterpookie View Post
it always starts small, doesn't it?
I know how you feel; all I wanted to do was carry my spare tire in a half-sensible location...

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 06:00 PM   #186
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Just finished reading the thread . I am envious of guys like you and Sundowner that are able to convey your thoughts to paper so well.

And this is the best picture that will be reposted on JF today
a word to the wise: that hammer is called "The Annihilator", and while it may inspire the wet dreams of people waiting for the zombie apocalypse, it is in fact... not terribly reliable. also of note, that is my brother's arm. (he's guilty of wearing socks with sandals. if you ridicule him for this, i'll be sure to share with him.
)

thanks for your kind words about my words. i think pure insanity is what makes Sundowner and i able to write things that people will find amusing. (though he is much more conventional with his capitalization.).

speak of the devil....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I know how you feel; all I wanted to do was carry my spare tire in a half-sensible location...
you know, i never realized exactly how much of your build really does come down to one tiny little thing. however, you really have one of the most interesting builds i have seen, and there's not a thing on it that i have said "enh... bad idea."

Unread 12-31-2013, 06:23 PM   #187
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Oh wow... the bromance is getting deep in here!

2006 LJ SOLD!
Unread 01-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #188
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterpookie View Post
speak of the devil....
There are other summoning spells that will reach me, but that one is the most effective.

Yeah, a lot of what I've done really does come down to that one little goal...and what's more interesting than that, even, is realizing how much of the upcoming build focuses on another single goal: reliability. I've got two axle housings that I'm tinkering with, a possible transmission swap - oops...I hadn't mentioned that yet... - and an engine swap, and all of those things are happening because of the "I don't want it to break...ever" goal. The same thing is going on with the simple goal of gaining clearance; tummy tucks and body lifts and gas tank tucks and link mount changes and all of that stuff...it really all comes down to a desire for clearance. The more I think about it, the more I realize that most of the builds I've seen actually have very simple, concise goals at their core.

Also, yes, it's getting dangerously Bromantic in here. I can hear the episode-closing narration, now: "Beasley made a full recovery after extensive counseling, and the man known as "Dave" was later reported to be living on the outskirts of Benghazi. Pookie was arraigned in Department 187 of the Superior Court of the State of California, in and for the City and County of Los Angeles; in a moment, the results of that trial."

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 09:04 AM   #189
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Just read through the build. Looking good so far!
Unread 01-01-2014, 10:28 PM   #190
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Oh wow... the bromance is getting deep in here!
bromance is how we pass the time whilst waiting for parts.

Quote:
There are other summoning spells that will reach me, but that one is the most effective.

Yeah, a lot of what I've done really does come down to that one little goal...and what's more interesting than that, even, is realizing how much of the upcoming build focuses on another single goal: reliability. I've got two axle housings that I'm tinkering with, a possible transmission swap - oops...I hadn't mentioned that yet... - and an engine swap, and all of those things are happening because of the "I don't want it to break...ever" goal. The same thing is going on with the simple goal of gaining clearance; tummy tucks and body lifts and gas tank tucks and link mount changes and all of that stuff...it really all comes down to a desire for clearance. The more I think about it, the more I realize that most of the builds I've seen actually have very simple, concise goals at their core.
uh-oh... clearance may be where i have my moment to disagree. but i'm curious where you'll go with it.

Quote:
Also, yes, it's getting dangerously Bromantic in here. I can hear the episode-closing narration, now: "Beasley made a full recovery after extensive counseling, and the man known as "Dave" was later reported to be living on the outskirts of Benghazi. Pookie was arraigned in Department 187 of the Superior Court of the State of California, in and for the City and County of Los Angeles; in a moment, the results of that trial."
"Nobody at the Courthouse was heard from again, including the presumed fugitive."

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post
Just read through the build. Looking good so far!
welcome to the show!

Unread 01-05-2014, 06:04 AM   #191
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

so.... anyone care to tell me if this is a bad idea?

i'm going to pull the trigger on it by the end of the day if i hear nothing. worse comes to worse, i just keep what i don't use or sell it.

also gonna get an SWR meter and handle that business myself.

at the risk of sparking some kind of radio aficionado fueled massacre.... have any of you had experience with the various Firestik antennae? and should i get the Firefly or the Firestik II?

in case a reminder is necessary, this is how i plan on mounting it: http://www.arizonarockyroad.com/antennamounts.html

Unread 01-05-2014, 09:24 AM   #192
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

You should be ok with that order. You might want to go with a 12" section of coax though, 18 feet is a whole bunch for a short little TJ.

2006 LJ SOLD!
Unread 01-06-2014, 04:06 AM   #193
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You should be ok with that order. You might want to go with a 12" section of coax though, 18 feet is a whole bunch for a short little TJ.
i went ahead with the 18' because of two issues.

1: that's the only length that particular cable is available in. possibly because of...

2: there's a lot of debate about the length of the coax having to be at minimum 18' because blahblahblah radio waves. some argue you only need the length from point A to point B (and back it up with math and science), others claim that 18' is a minimum due to (more math and science).

frankly, i am not an expert in this matter. normally i take the opportunity to read and learn what both sides of an argument are, and draw my own conclusions based on the data i find. sadly, both sides in this argument seem to have some solid science to back up their side. for some reason, this seems to be the *one* thing i can't find myself interested in enough to research until i have my own definitive answer....

so for me, i'm taking the cowardly route. some people believe in Christianity because there's nothing to lose from it, only to gain. they reason "if there's no heaven or hell, it doesn't matter anyway... but if there IS, i prefer to be on the right side". DISCLAIMER: i know that's not everyone's reason, nor is it even the most common... but i have heard that argument before. it seems prudent.

which is what i'm doing with 18 ft' of coax. there's no harm in excess, but not having enough *may* affect performance. better safe than sorry.

Unread 01-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #194
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Partial Arrival

so today i got my coax from Amazon. not terribly exciting. seems to come with instructions, which is nice. also got the Arizona Rocky Road mounting bracket a few days ago, which came with the K4 antenna mount. looks like i'll have an extra.

for anyone curious about the Arizona Rocky Road bracket itself, the construction seems pretty solid (i would use it as a weapon, in a pinch). the powdercoat is pretty nice. i promised a picture of it, so here you go:

if i weren't currently working, i would have taken a few more pictures, but at least you can see how the thing goes together.

i'm not gonna lie, i feel less excited about this particular project than i probably should. most likely because the most immediate end result will be gaining the ability to listen to truckers talk about hookers.

but i do see its utility for trail use.

anyway, i never got any input about which antenna to go for. i think i may go with a rigid antenna since i am going to have a spring i can mount it to. at least for starters. i can't really see a complication with getting more than one antenna and swapping them out as long as i check my SWR, right?

i may just leave the SWR meter inline for that purpose.

Unread 01-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #195
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

You will want to run a small ground strap from the tub of your Jeep to the tail gate, and you'll want to grind off the powder coating on the back side of one of those bolt holes in the antenna mounting bracket, and clean the paint from around the corresponding hole in the tailgate. Then you'll want to clean the powder coating off of the underside of the hole that the antenna mount bolts through.

This will help you achieve a lower SWR and it will also let you transmit and receive a bit further.

After you've bolted everything together you can take some touch up paint, or nail polish to protect any bare metal that is still exposed.

2006 LJ SOLD!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.