Crawley's story <3 - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Crawley's story <3

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #136
misterpookie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9703tj View Post
Lol!

I'm not sure I did larger tires right. 37's are supposed to cause instant death to Dana 30 axles... I'm only running a 4cyl though, and I'm also running a High Pinion Dana 30 axle, so I'm hoping that will all offset eachother and I shouldn't expose my parts to any more strain than an LP D30 running 35's while powered by a 6cyl...

Who knows though... I'm pretty good at breaking stuff, lol!
are you locked? i hear that can be the breaking point~

CRAWLEY'S STORY <3 (sort of a build thread)
FOR SALE: SOFT TOP WITH FRAME FROM A 99
misterpookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #137
9703tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterpookie View Post
are you locked? i hear that can be the breaking point~
I'm locked in the front, and welded in the rear...
9703tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #138
misterpookie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9703tj View Post
I'm locked in the front, and welded in the rear...
welded? holy crap. what are the overall effects of that other than making it a trail rig, i assume?

Unread 10-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #139
9703tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
welded? holy crap. what are the overall effects of that other than making it a trail rig, i assume?
I still drive it on the street with it welded. I drove it 300 miles to a friends farm to wheel, 600 miles to wheel in PA, and 200 miles to wheel in NC. Plus I daily drove it for a while after I sold my Rubicon.

The over all effect of welding the rear spiders together is that the tires will wear out faster, you'll skip and hop and chirp the rear tires making sharp turns, and with the 4 link style rear suspension on a TJ the axle will walk forward or backwards on sharp turns thus jacking up the side of the Jeep that is to the inside of the turn so the Jeep leans way over towards the outside of the turn.

It really freaks out people in parking lots when I drive in, lol!
Unread 10-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #140
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That is exactly why you should consider having a LSD in the rear end on a daily driver instead of a full-time locker or "lincoln locker" (as we call welded spider gears here locally). If you drive in the snow, the factory LSD is boss with the "mild" clutches installed as opposed to the "aggressive" clutches.

Either that or fork over the cashola for a selectable locker.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2012, 10:07 PM   #141
tinyjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the huge quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsofstone View Post
To "ball on a budget" is to spend money where it counts! You're on track. Like I said, build to your wheeling style, terrain, and budget. I am referring to the lift pucks that sit on top of the shocks. That maintains the stock ride quality while increasing clearance. Check out what tinyjeep is doing with his TJ on his build thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2...0/index41.html

A build thread is worthless without pictures in my opinion. Post them up!

Been looking for softie's too. People sure want a couple arms and a leg for them, but I can understand why they would be hesitant to get rid of them...real nice to have.
He means a budget boost that goes over the springs. Linky to an example:
http://www.daystarweb.com/productdet...?productID=353

Costs around $50, I did that and procomp shocks for $150+ total. You can skip shocks too, not a big deal. I try to keep my current build cheap, almost all my goodies are second hand from pirate or the classifieds here. Unfortunately, what I save I spend on the jeep

Quote:
kept to the 32s for now. i'd have to spend a bit more $$$ to make 33s work, and currently can't swing it.

to be honest, not sure i'd want to either. i really love crawley's stance as it is, and even with humble 32s i was out-performing much "better" set up rigs at jeepfest.

i still have the 1" body lift kit that i got in anticipation of doing a tummy tuck at some point, but i'm still having a hard time telling myself it won't look awful with a gap and that the gain would balance out any quirks that arise from the lift, such as making my transfer case shifter act more wonky than it already does.

though, i guess getting the novac set up would eliminate that rattle i get from the current shifter mechanism....
Do a 1.25" body lift max, it's not really noticeable. I have pics of the old jeep on em and can pics of the current budget rust bucket if you want.

I also did a 1" motor mount lift at the same time as the BL, basically for a future belly up. Also cause I did not want to modify/screw with the current fan shroud.

I have the newer good year dura tracks and the perform well. A lot of people I know run the mtrK's. They flare even better. For the price, the dura tracks are awesome.

Edit: here's a good deal
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-lift-1427065/
Unread 10-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #142
misterpookie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

tire dilemma revealed:

alright so as mentioned before, crawley's right rear tire decided to shuffle off this mortal coil. it seemed it died a slow death and we will mourn its passing.

this is a tire funeral:

so after making $1,000 disappear, i got tires delivered to my door. the UPS guy did NOT seem amused. goodyear MTR/Ks.

today i was planning to have them mounted and balanced at a good local shop, but i would run into a snafu. namely, in order to put the spare on to get it to the shop, i would have to remove the spare from the back. sounds simple.... except for this:

turns out the PO was a d-bag and took the key for the security lug with him. this was my friend's opinion on the matter:

so we called around to a few auto parts stores to see if they had anything compatible. we visited one or two. what i learned form this ordeal is this: do not get the "clover shaped" security lugs, since it is the one every store had. anyone can easily find the key to your lug. that way.

luckily, my "star" shaped one is apparently incredibly rare. :

so i called up the dealerships. what a f***ing disaster.

in turn, each of them told me to "bring it on in!" after i had already explained that the vehicle was immobile... because i could not get the spare off. then they told me something along the lines of "there's not a part you can order that will help. they don't make the keys for those, each one is VERY unique and only keyed to one key."

in the same paragraph, they told me they had a master set. in summary: "this part does not exist, but we have it and you cannot have it." they insisted i just bring it in and let them see if they had the key for it or just break the bolt (WHY THE EFF WOULD I LET THEM DO THAT?). i again reiterated that bringing the vehicle anywhere was not possible. their ears perked up as they asked me where i was stuck, so that they may come and save me. (read also: stack a towing charge on to whatever they decided to charge me for breaking my bolt or maybe having the key that "doesn't exist".)

this same conversation happened with three dealerships.

as a last ditch effort, i went to the mechanic shop that my fam uses and asked them what they would do in my shoes. i showed them a pic of the lug and they pulled me into the garage, rifled through some boxes and handed me this:

they said it never really worked for them, but that i could give it a shot. told me to hit it with a hammer and all that. (hit it with a hammer? you don't have to tell ME twice~)

meanwhile, crawley's right rear wheel looked sad.

after a lot of hammer... we managed to get the cursed lug off.

took it to my tire shop (not the awesome fam mechanics. i know they definitely did something above and beyond, but they are generally uninterested in tire work and happen to be a bit busy. i will get them lunch this week for their service), and had the tire shop do the good stuff.

here's the results. looks sexy if i may say so.

Unread 10-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #143
9703tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Those tires look sexxy!

In the future when you have a locking lug nut to deal with and no key use a 12 point socket that just barely doesn't fit over the lug and hammer it on, or take a 3/4" nut, and then weld it to the lug nut and just use a normal socket or 4 way to remove it.
Unread 10-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #144
tinyjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Woah, Dana 44 rears have drum breaks? I just learn something new
Unread 10-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #145
misterpookie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyjeep View Post
Sorry for the huge quote

He means a budget boost that goes over the springs. Linky to an example:
http://www.daystarweb.com/productdet...?productID=353

Costs around $50, I did that and procomp shocks for $150+ total. You can skip shocks too, not a big deal. I try to keep my current build cheap, almost all my goodies are second hand from pirate or the classifieds here. Unfortunately, what I save I spend on the jeep

Do a 1.25" body lift max, it's not really noticeable. I have pics of the old jeep on em and can pics of the current budget rust bucket if you want.

I also did a 1" motor mount lift at the same time as the BL, basically for a future belly up. Also cause I did not want to modify/screw with the current fan shroud.

I have the newer good year dura tracks and the perform well. A lot of people I know run the mtrK's. They flare even better. For the price, the dura tracks are awesome.

Edit: here's a good deal
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-lift-1427065/
no need to apologize for huge quotes here, bro. i don't know if it's obvious, but i can get pretty long winded. lol

i've been looking at the budget boosts and seriously considering one. i vaguely remember reading somewhere about SOME obscure drawback to having them, but i don't recall what it was. i have been considering them since i have had a winch planned for my future, but i wasn't sure that budget boost was an official name.

pics would be great! i'd like to see how it's going to look if i do it. also, did you have issues with your transfer case shifter when you did it? will i maybe have issues with my automatic tranny's shifter?

Unread 10-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #146
misterpookie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Woah, Dana 44 rears have drum breaks? I just learn something new
not sure if sarcasm. lol

but from what i can tell, all the TJs had drums except MAYBE the 05/06 models?

did you know i had a 44 from pics or looking at my specs?

Unread 10-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #147
tinyjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Did not mean to sarcastic. I thought only d44 came with disk brakes. I saw the d44 in your specs.

I like my budget boost but I'm swapping to the jks adjustable spring spacers ( ?acog) so that when the jeep gets heavier, I can adjust her easily.

My trans shifts the same, no issue when driving back from my friends garage. I have not used 4wd yet, I'll update you on it but my jks BL included a bracket to fix/adjust the t-case linkage.

I'll grab pics tomorrow, it's dark and black jeeps aren't photogenic at night. Probably the only issue for me is the gap between the tailgate and the tub. I don't have a tire carrier and my tailgate/tub is bent so it shows, slightly more with a BL. I might just put my tire carrier back on.

If I don't need the jks t-case bracket ill ship it to if you need it. Saves you from getting the Novak cable shifter. The cable shifter is awesome but installation is frustrating.

I think crawley might be related to mine ( she doesn't have a name yet)

Edit: Pic of pervious tj, the gap int the rear is more obvious because of the bright light.
Unread 10-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #148
misterpookie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Probably the only issue for me is the gap between the tailgate and the tub. I don't have a tire carrier and my tailgate/tub is bent so it shows, slightly more with a BL. I might just put my tire carrier back on.

If I don't need the jks t-case bracket ill ship it to if you need it. Saves you from getting the Novak cable shifter. The cable shifter is awesome but installation is frustrating.

I think crawley might be related to mine ( she doesn't have a name yet)

Edit: Pic of pervious tj, the gap int the rear is more obvious because of the bright light.
urm... how big a gap? and does it allow water/air through into the tub? :O

also, very cool offer of the bracket. i have been considering the novak because of a weird rattle i have in my shifter anyway, but maybe just tightening it would help?

i'll look at my build sheet and see which factory and building crawley was assembled at. maybe they're siblings!

Unread 10-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #149
tinyjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Tubs are sealed unless you pull the drain plugs. The jks BL basically goes over your existing body mounts to lift the body up, no making holes in the tub.

Shifter wise, if it's Trans shifter I'm not too sure. If 4wd shifter, I'd say clean it, tighten it and oil/lube/grease it.
Unread 10-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #150
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Really like the new tires. Great way to make a $1k go bye bye. They look awesome and I think you'll be more than impressed with the inevitable increase in traction off and on the road.

That being said, we ought to return to the topic of budget boosts for a quick minute. It is the case that budget boosts will give you height but by comparison to a taller spring, it will literally provide less flex as the spring runs into itself when compressed. A full spring should allow unrestricted flex but a budget boost creates a solid block where flexy-spring would normally be. Good and cheap but optimal, I'm afraid not. The upshot to this is maintaining a factory spring rate characteristic. Meaning it will ride like stock but look taller. Many lift springs have a tougher spring rate that makes the ride a bit rougher. But hey....none of us wheel a Caddy...so yeah. Super cheap lift springs tend to ride rougher. More expensive ones have anticipated spring rate and allow for a smoother ride.

Now, does that make it bad? No. Most of the time you will find a bump stop before you find full compression, so in the end it's a really effective way to handle lifting an otherwise stock Jeeper creeper. Am I replacing mine with full springs? Yes. Why? Because I can.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.