convertible ZJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > convertible ZJ

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #1
josh7965
1997 ZJ 

convertible ZJ

i am a little over 2 years into this build so i figured it was about time to start a build thread. when i bought my 1997 jeep zj it was a very nice clean jeep. It had 120k on it and had great road manners. i needed a good dd to get back and forth to work. and needed to get out of my high insurance and car loan for my srt4. the zj was PERFECT. till i got my hands on it. things started out simple i built some new bumpers out of scrap metal, 31" tires. then i joined ocean state jeepsters.

after the first trail ride i was like WTF did i get myself into. it was alot of fun but i really felt bad for the jeep. so i started to save for a lift kit and skid plates and tires. i decided on a 4.5 RC long arm kit. and 33" tires

then i made a cowl hood and custom led light bar.

i am the time of person that can never just be happy with something. i always have to change it. make it bigger and better. and one of a kind. so i did an urban camo paint job. and a 10,000 pound winch on the front.

next was the rock sliders. my rockers were getting crushed pretty bad. so i cut them off and welded in 3x3 square tubing. conecting them to the a,b and c pillars. i also welded two braces from the "frame rails" to the sliders. cut strips of 1/4" and weld that from the slide to where i cut the rockers away. added some 1 1/2 dom for steps.

now we can get to the reason most of you clicked on this post. the convertible top!!!

i had this idea for a while but i wanted it to be clean not a hack job. my buddy told me about a canvas top for a jeep liberty sky slider that he saw at a swap meet. so i went down and found the guy. i scored the top for 40 bucks. i had to make a frame, rollers, and a way to keep it attached to the jeep.

once i had it working the way i wanted. and i was happy with it. then came the fun part of cutting a huge hole in the roof.

i fully welded the frame of the ragtop to the unibody. and did some body work to make it look pretty.

next i did some upgrades. i installed a lock right in the dana30 changed the cv axles to u joint. along with IRO almost alloys kit. 7" coils all around. IRO OTK steering. IRO double shear track bar. installed an np231 with an SYE. Novak cable shifter, new drive shafts and 35" mt baja claws.

i am sure i missed a bunch of stuff. but that catches you up on alot of the big stuff. i love my jeep and the jeep family that comes with it. the jeep is no where near done and i have some big plans in the works for it. the jeep is currently under the knife at Barn Offroad and they are doing some great work. here is a little teaser pic. if you like it or hate it leave a post. but if you hate it i really don't care. i built it for me not you. lol

josh7965 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
yamahamm
1993 ZJ 

Nice more pictures please.
yamahamm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

I hate it.

Just kidding

Looks great.
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #4
josh7965
1997 ZJ 

Thanks. I just can't wait till this phase is done. It's has a bunch of stuff that I have never seen done before. Especially on a zj
Unread 10-09-2014, 09:27 AM   #5
yamahamm
1993 ZJ 

I would love too do that to my jeep but here in Noway(Norway) its a pita to get modifications approved and they have controls in the streets all the time. Please post more pictures off the Cage thing on the front.
Unread 10-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
josh7965
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahamm
I would love too do that to my jeep but here in Noway(Norway) its a pita to get modifications approved and they have controls in the streets all the time. Please post more pictures off the Cage thing on the front.
That sucks that you can't modify your jeep in Norway. I don't know what I would do. I have modified every vehicle I have owned. As far as posting more pics your going to have to wait lol it's still being built. I will update the build thread when it's done
Unread 10-10-2014, 07:25 AM   #7
airborndad
1998 ZJ 

Excellent!!!!!
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #8
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Yesss, I'm so glad you posted on jeepforum. I've wanted to make my own cowl hood using the stocker, and I've seen pics of yours on the internet.

Would you mind some sharing tips and tricks you learned while doing it?
Unread 10-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #9
josh7965
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurdaJs
Yesss, I'm so glad you posted on jeepforum. I've wanted to make my own cowl hood using the stocker, and I've seen pics of yours on the internet. Would you mind some sharing tips and tricks you learned while doing it?
It really wasn't that bad to make. I cut on the body lines through the top skin and the frame. Starting from the back. Ending like 6" from the front. Raise the center section where you like it. Then cut some some cardboard templates to figure out how you want the side to look. cut them out of 1/8" plate. Weld then bondo. Hope that helped. Post pics when your done.
Unread 10-10-2014, 05:43 PM   #10
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh7965 View Post
It really wasn't that bad to make. I cut on the body lines through the top skin and the frame. Starting from the back. Ending like 6" from the front. Raise the center section where you like it. Then cut some some cardboard templates to figure out how you want the side to look. cut them out of 1/8" plate. Weld then bondo. Hope that helped. Post pics when your done.
Thanks that'll help

I'll probably ask for some pics once I bust out the cut off wheel
Unread 10-11-2014, 07:52 AM   #11
yamahamm
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh7965 View Post
That sucks that you can't modify your jeep in Norway. I don't know what I would do. I have modified every vehicle I have owned. As far as posting more pics your going to have to wait lol it's still being built. I will update the build thread when it's done
yea i just changed my rocker panels out with som 4x4inch tubes but had too weld it in so it doesn't show, but at least i know i won't break them if i hit a rock. i also put on 2inch BB and just hope they don't see it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.