Comedian's Budget Build "The Dirty Ba$tard" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Comedian's Budget Build "The Dirty Ba$tard"

Happy Thursday! From Morris 4X4 CenterHalloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 09-13-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
Comedian03

Comedian's Budget Build "The Dirty Ba$tard"

Hey guys, so I've been coming to these forums for a little while now and decided to make an account and post my build thread here. I already have it posted over on CherokeeForum but I figured the more people to see it and give me advice the better. Not new to Jeeps as I've owned a few, my last one was an '85 CJ-7 that I off-roaded the crap out of until it was completely wrecked (Twisted frame, crank knock, dents, barely ran anymore). About a month ago I picked up this XJ from a friend of a friend, I had a '99 Blazer sitting in my yard that I also managed to blow up, worst crank knock I've ever heard, so I traded even for the XJ, it was an alright deal considering what both of us wanted, only stands me about $200.

I've done a fair amount of work to it already, things have been kept as cheap as completely possible because I'm on an extreme budget right now. Overall it's in decent shape, some spots of the frame still have factory paint, it needs a bit of body work, nothing major. The biggest thing is it needs an alternator because one of the last owners thought the way to tighten the belt was to turn the alternator itself, so they took a hammer to it trying to turn it. Obviously it didn't turn it and just smashed a hole through it.

For now, it's going to be strictly off-road use only but I'm not going to destroy/mangle it too bad because I do plan on putting it on the road again, eventually lol. I'll being doing all of the work myself or at least as much as I can. I wont be going out and buying big expensive kits or anything like that for it either.

Here's a list of plans for it:
- Tear the carpet up and spray the floor with bed-liner.
- Bigger tires. I'm gonna put 31"s on it for now and maybe 33"s a little bit down the road.
- A bastard pack lift, it is the Dirty Bastard after all.
- Muffler, it's pretty well screwed so I have an old Cherry Bomb muffler I might throw on, I might have a magnaflow kickin around and if I do then I'll put that on instead.
- Paint, I'm thinking either a gun-metal gray or dark blue. Will most likely use spray bombs.
- Front and rear bumpers are coming off and will be left off until I fab some news ones up.
- Building new alternator brackets so I can move the alternator from underneath to up top to avoid caked on mud and stuff like that.
- Making my doors removable.
- Cold air intake and then eventually a homemade snorkel.
- Sometime down the road I'm going to put 4.10 gears in it.
- The chrome grill is getting replaces/painted black, I don't like chrome lol.
- Fenders trimmed.
- Rocker sills cut out and replaced with sliders.

It's mostly going to be used for mud only, I don't like climbing rocks and stuff like that, I like to get my Jeep nice and dirty and stuck lol.

Here's some pics of when I first got it, she wasn't pretty lol.

1-copy.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg  
Comedian03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
Comedian03

Then for the next couple days it was all minor work I did. Painted the dash trim, got the carpet and interior all torn out, and removed the back bumper completely, there was a reese hitch on there and it was so rusted that it was sagging and practically took the bumper off with it, to remove the bumper all I did was grab it and pull.

The floor was pretty decent considering how long this thing sat for, a lot of surface rust but nothing major until I got to the front drivers side, it was bad there. The carpet underneath was completely soaked and starting to mold so it looks like I caught things before they got to the point of no return. It's all cut out and replaced now though.
10.jpg   12.jpg   14.jpg  
Unread 09-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #3
justanotherjpr

What do you plan to do to lift the front?
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
Comedian03

Aaaaaand again the next couple days were spent doing minor updates to it, removing the tires, cleaning up the rims and getting them painted black, also painted the front bumper and grill black, I'm not a big fan of the chrome. Up to this point my total cost was something like $25.

Last pic is of my trusty assistant Aztec lol.
15.jpg   19.jpg   24.jpg   26.jpg  
Unread 09-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
Comedian03

This is where the build started to pick up some speed. I got bored one day and was feeling rather impulsive so I decided to paint my Jeep the color I wanted. No pics of the prep or actually painting process as I was doing it alone.

Needless to say, the blue was NOT what was shown on the can and it definitely was NOT something I was happy with, but it's ok, things got better as far as the color goes (Next post).
27.jpg   30.jpg   31.jpg  
Unread 09-13-2011, 09:01 AM   #6
Comedian03

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
What do you plan to do to lift the front?
The front is most likely just going to be longer shocks or something, I honestly haven't decided yet. I know sooooo many people advise against using blocks for the rear, but that's what I'm using. I've had 4 or so different vehicles in the past 5 years lifted with blocks and never experienced any issues with them so that's what I'm going to get. I can get 3"blocks for the back, and 3" spacers for the front at a shop near here for $120 so that's most likely the route I'll be taking, like I said I know how many people online advise against it, but I'm going with my own personal experience on this one.
Unread 09-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
Comedian03

And this is where my hopes for the paint were FINALLY restored, after about a day and a half, the paint darkened a lot and I was finally happy with how it looked.

I also figured this was as good a time as any to mount my 31" tires on the rims and get them thrown on so I did that as well, did it at a buddies garage so it cost me nothing. Also decided I didn't like the black hood so that went blue as well. Also picked up a glasspack for it because the old muffler is broken and just hanging there.

The tires aren't great, they're not like brand new. Not sure what brand they are but they're retreads and I only paid like $20 for them a few months ago so they'll do for now.
37.jpg   100_0834.jpg   100_0835.jpg  
Unread 09-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
Comedian03

And then I pulled out the grinder and cut the front fenders and removed the end caps from the front bumper. Also pulled the dent out of the back passenger side door, not sure if the dents still in these pics or not but either way, it's gone.

I wasn't sure which style I wanted for my cut fenders, I ultimately chose the more common style. I almost cut them the same as my buddy did his.

The first pic is of my buddies Jeep at the mud rally a month ago, and yes he's running tractor tires lol.
197648_10150712698620517_798715516_19225374_3080371_n.jpg   100_0881.jpg   100_0882.jpg  
Unread 09-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #9
Kitchen
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comedian03 View Post
The front is most likely just going to be longer shocks or something, I honestly haven't decided yet. I know sooooo many people advise against using blocks for the rear, but that's what I'm using. I've had 4 or so different vehicles in the past 5 years lifted with blocks and never experienced any issues with them so that's what I'm going to get. I can get 3"blocks for the back, and 3" spacers for the front at a shop near here for $120 so that's most likely the route I'll be taking, like I said I know how many people online advise against it, but I'm going with my own personal experience on this one.
longer shocks dont give ya lift.
if your on a budget use boat rollers for coil spacers!
bb.jpg  
Build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kitchen-xj-build-1144692/[/url]

- 03 TJ Rubi
4 inches on 35 baja MTZs
Stock rubi stuff(D44s, lockers, skids, etc...)[/B]
Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2011, 09:15 AM   #10
Comedian03

Which of course brings us to where she sits now. Since then I repainted the rear fender flares, sprayed the bottom of the Jeep with black rocker guard, finished up my floor completely and sprayed the passenger side with bed liner (ran out before I could do the drivers side), trimmed my front bumper about an inch and a half on either side, and removed the busted alternator and realized they must've gave me the wrong alternator for my new one because it doesn't fit, it's completely identical in every way except 1 bolt hole is of, everything else is literally identical.

So that's where she sits as of today. Hoping to have it up and ready by this weekend because there's a big mud rally coming up on the 25th and I plan to be in it lol.

And yes my Jeep sits crooked lol.
100_0883.jpg   100_0885.jpg   100_0887.jpg   100_0886.jpg  
Unread 09-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #11
Comedian03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen View Post
longer shocks dont give ya lift.
if your on a budget use boat rollers for coil spacers!
Sorry that was a typo, I meant to type springs. I was thinking about buying my new shocks as I was typing that sentence and typed shocks instead of springs lol

The boat roller thing is a good idea, a friend of mine actually did that a couple years ago lol.
Unread 09-13-2011, 09:26 AM   #12
Kitchen
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comedian03 View Post
Sorry that was a typo, I meant to type springs. I was thinking about buying my new shocks as I was typing that sentence and typed shocks instead of springs lol

The boat roller thing is a good idea, a friend of mine actually did that a couple years ago lol.
if you did more cutting you could fit 35 without lift
no lift xj build
bb.jpg  
Build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kitchen-xj-build-1144692/[/url]

- 03 TJ Rubi
4 inches on 35 baja MTZs
Stock rubi stuff(D44s, lockers, skids, etc...)[/B]
Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #13
Comedian03

And just for good measure, a couple pics of my old CJ-7 the last time I had it out. I miss the 'ol girl, had A LOT of fun times in that thing.

(Me on the right)
74546_1706068615632_1355538322_31820241_885291_n.jpg   155116_1706068095619_1355538322_31820238_4474378_n.jpg   150298_1706069535655_1355538322_31820247_6716275_n.jpg   155704_1706067815612_1355538322_31820236_5930671_n.jpg  
Unread 09-13-2011, 09:34 AM   #14
Comedian03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen View Post
if you did more cutting you could fit 35 without lift
no lift xj build
I'd thought about doing something like that but ultimately I think I want the extra height with a lift and don't want to cut things up too much.
Unread 09-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #15
Comedian03

The interior is all finished and finally put back together. The pictures don't exactly do it justice, and the layer of dirty doesn't make it look a whole lot better either lol. I'll get some better pictures once I clean it up.

The last pic is of the driver's side, I still haven't gotten around to painting those rims black so it's kind of mismatched right now.
100_0888.jpg   100_0889.jpg   100_0890.jpg   100_0891.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.