College DD/Weekend Wheeler 90 yj "Black Sky" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > College DD/Weekend Wheeler 90 yj "Black Sky"

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!3" BDS Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep JK 07-11Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
cj5ben
1990 YJ Wrangler 

College DD/Weekend Wheeler 90 yj "Black Sky"

So two weeks ago i purchased another jeep. This yj I got for 400 from a friend who is going into the military and wanted something he could drive now. The yj has a 4 inch rough country lift and 33inch older super swampers. The downside...it had no engine. So immediately checked cl and saw a 90 2.5L for sale that was a direct swap in and was running before the owner parted out the jeep, which he was in a hurry to sell because of his wife's c-section was scheduled for the next day.... anyway with 104000 miles and headers for $175 I couldn't pass it up. ...The next day I tried to drop the motor in. I found that the splines were not too easy to line up just with the transmission installed. So i dropped the trans and transfer case and mated it with the motor. I spent the rest of that Saturday routing the vacuum lines and other odds and ends. That night i turned the key and it fired right up. the pics are from the day i took it home and took off the front wheels to get it clean. My plans for it are to make it a dd but strong enough to do some wheeling on the weekends

dscn0140.jpg   dscn0143.jpg   dscn0147.jpg   dscn0172.jpg   dscn0159.jpg  

cj5ben is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
Prryan45
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like a nice project.
Prryan45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
cj5ben
1990 YJ Wrangler 

so i got the entire drivetrain hooked up...pics to come soon..... with driving it around i noticed that it was stuck in 4wd...so i assumed that the vacuum actuator isnt working....so i took off the cover to where the vac motor and shift fork should be. I was going to see if i could just set the shift fork into 2wd mode without having the vac actuator hooked up but to my surprise the previous owner put a solid axle shaft in....so now im in search of an axle i can use for the road so i dont leave skid marks every time i turn =D. I will keep this one for the off-roading maybe it has a locker as well....havent opened the case yet. Anyone selling a yj with 4.11 gearing?
Unread 12-30-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
cj5ben
1990 YJ Wrangler 

havent posted in awhile because of being away at school. here is an update got a set of 4.11 axles, dropped the front in for now so i can turn a little better. Also got fluids changed, frame cleaned and coated, and changed the brakes.
jeep-road.jpg   dscn0207.jpg   dscn0209.jpg  
Unread 01-29-2012, 01:51 AM   #5
justanotherjpr

Looks good man!
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
jarcher401

nice project
jarcher401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
cj5ben
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Its has been waaaay to long since I have last posted. Updates to come!
Unread 12-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
cj5ben
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a list of updates I have done since I last posted.
Cleaned and painted the grill
Added a cable actuator for 4wheel drive
removed trac bars
added sway bar disconnects
mounted rear seat
new exhaust behind headers
fixed the frame rot- pics to come of this
added 4 point harnesses
new brakes
cleaned up rust
new alternator

Updated pictures to come. During the summer I plan on fixing the body and the floor by the tailgate. I am planning on doing a 350/sm465 swap. I now have two sets of tires both are warn pretty good, the super swampers and a set of bridgestones for the street
Unread 12-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
cj5ben
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here are some pictures of the frame rot before the fix, both sides of frame rail by rear spring hanger.
img_0431.jpg   img_0441.jpg   img_0442.jpg   img_0443.jpg   img_0444.jpg  

img_0445.jpg  
Unread 07-28-2015, 09:46 PM   #10
cj5ben
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't posted in a very long time! I graduated college in May and now have more time to work on this project. I will post pictures as I dig them up to get it updated. The project has been on stand still while I was away at school. I did fix the frame rot which was quite severe as seen in the previous pictures. I had some good metal laying around in the garage so I fabricated a fix.

I was originally going to do a carbed sbc and sm465 swap for this jeep but decided a whole new direction for the drivetrain. I am picking up a 5.3 Vortec and 4L60e trans in the near future. I plan on using a chevy np231 and jeep np231 for the transfer case. I will probably do sye and tom woods driveshaft. For the axles I plan on leaving the front. I recently picked up a Ford 8.8 with lsd for cheap from a guy parting out a 97 explorer.

I have just started compiling a list of parts I will need to complete this swap... Its quite extensive but totally worth getting that 4banger out... SPG, Smiles Per Gallon

The jeep also needs some extensive body work as the rear corners, rear floor, passenger floor, rockers, fenders, and seemingly every body mount is rusted out. This is quite the project but will be fun to do in the next year.

I will get this updated soon! I hope to have this ready for some trails next year sometime.
Unread 08-02-2015, 07:49 AM   #11
cj5ben
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ford 8.8 out of 97 Explorer 3.73 Lsd for $150
image-106279282.jpg

Unread 08-11-2015, 09:56 PM   #12
cj5ben
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm planning to do a bunch of work this weekend. I took off the previous owners floor "fix" to find this. It's about the same for both driver and passenger sides.
image-4197246564.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.