College Build - 99 TJ - Rdock31 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > College Build - 99 TJ - Rdock31

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 02-18-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
rdock31
Average Jeeper

1999 TJ Wrangler 

College Build - 99 TJ - Rdock31

Current:
'99 Jeep TJ
32rh Tranny, Np231, D30/35 and 3.07s
BDS 2", 1.25" BL, Brown Dog MML
Cooper Discoverer STT 33x12.50r15
ZJ Tie Rod Swap
Metalcloak Arched Fenders
JK Turn Signals
AtoZ WW2WW Sliders
Hardtop/Softop
Savvy Cable Shifter

Future Plans:
8.8 Swap w/ Artec Truss
Outboard w/ 5125's
3" BDS Front Coils / Possibly RC 2.5" Rears
Hp30 or Regear/Sleeve/Gusset Lp30
Tera SYE / Tatton's CV
Currie Anti-Rock
Mid-arm 4-link Rear
RuffStuff Cross member
UCF Aluminum Skid
Black Magic Brakes and Rotors F/R
Chromo Shafts F/R
MTRk 35's & BlackRock 909 Alloys

Then:

Now:

I'll keep this updated as I move forward through my build. Comments and questions appreciated.

rdock31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
rdock31
Average Jeeper

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thought this was pretty cool, although my jeep isn't in it. They paid the $150 to park anywhere on campus, I opted for the $40 off campus pass.

1 Tj and 3 Yjs.
image-2459282266.jpg

BDS - Savvy - Brown Dog - AtoZ - Metalcloak - Cooper - RC
Unread 03-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #3
rdock31
Average Jeeper

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Small update from today, got the rock sliders and metalcloaks primed and painted. Taking care of some rust and both should be on by tomorrow evening.

Unread 03-08-2014, 08:07 PM   #4
M-RodPRO1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Nice jeep! And that is a great start! Mine started way slower lol! Sub'd hope to see some more great stuff!
[CENTER][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="3"][CENTER][COLOR="Red"]Red Jeep Club Member #543[/COLOR][/CENTER][/SIZE][/FONT]
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-slow-buildup-1382151/[/url][/CENTER]
M-RodPRO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2014, 04:06 PM   #5
rdock31
Average Jeeper

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Got outside to work on the jeep a little since there was somewhat nice weather (40's).

Took the rear flares off.. To see how it looked without them and to make the WW2WW sliders a little easier to install.. Only one hiccup, one of the nutsert bolts broke off. I'll paint the wheel wells black so it looks a little better.

Also finally got around to getting the broken rear seat bracket bolts out. (The front one on both sides, with the welded nut underneath) Driver side came out easy with a breaker bar, passenger side had to use a punch and hammer from the top due to limited space underneath. I'll just be using bolts, washers and nuts to replace them.

Sidenote: Got my JK turn signals in, hopefully I can find a 3-1/8" hole saw somewhere locally, since Lowe's didn't have one.
Unread 03-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #6
rdock31
Average Jeeper

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Got a little bit accomplished today, both metalcloaks are almost done and I have one slider left to put on, and both to notch. A couple bolts broke, but that's how it is in the rust belt. I have to go back and redo some things for the Cloaks, due to my install without directions. Probably should have printed those..

Factory fenders removed.

Driver side slider done, just need to touch up paint.

Metalcloak arched. Love the look.

I think once I get finished with axles, brakes, etc 35's will look pretty good on it.
Unread 03-12-2014, 06:02 PM   #7
rdock31
Average Jeeper

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Got finished with everything that I had planned today.. Both sliders bolted on and notches made, metalcloaks installed (only a few adjustments to be made), and JK signals installed.

For the sliders I used a radius cut, the passenger side looks a little cleaner due to it being the second one I did. I kinda winged it on the driver side, could use a bit more grinding but I am content for now.

Got the JK turn signals installed that I ordered from RockAuto. They were around $30 for both, and I used a 5% off discount which took off only around $1, but it saved money. To install I used a 3-1/8" hole saw. Measured out the center points and cut them, only took around 20mins. For the ridges, I just used a dremel and shaved them down until it was a tight fit. I also put black silicone around them to make them water tight.

For side marker/turn signals, I used an idea from Jeffro's build.. Just replacing the clear bulbs with amber ones and sticking them into the holes in the inner fenders.

Sidenote: I had some difficulties with paint sticking, even though my prep work was good. If I had to do it over, I would have opted to have them powdercoated.

Let me know if you want more detailed pictures, I will gladly do so.
Unread 03-13-2014, 11:53 PM   #8
rdock31
Average Jeeper

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Picture from last night..
Unread 03-31-2014, 09:26 PM   #9
rdock31
Average Jeeper

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Haven't done too much lately, school and spring ball have been keeping me busy. Took a pretty cool shot overlooking the river, professional photography with my iPhone haha

My birthday is today, and my gf told me she would buy me a jeep part.. Thinking about a novak or savvy cable shifter, leaning towards the savvy though.

Also might be getting an 8.8 earlier than I expected. Probably going to go with ECGS unless I can find a local shop to set it up for cheaper. Local junk yard has one with 410 and LSD for $200, but ECGS has 410s so I wouldn't have to pay for regear.
Unread 04-03-2014, 07:49 PM   #10
rdock31
Average Jeeper

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ordered the savvy shifter last night, it'll be a nice upgrade over stock hopefully.

Been thinking about the ecgs 8.8, and I think I may just set it up myself. It'll be cheaper and it'll get done how I want. Now just debating on how I want to set up the rear, stock or 4 link.

Unread 04-19-2014, 07:05 AM   #11
rdock31
Average Jeeper

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Within the past couple days I went out and greased all zerks took the windows off the soft top, touched up the sliders, painted the rear wheel wells, and removed my smittybilt rear bumper.

Still need to figure out what to do with the gap in my sliders.. I don't like the silicone method.

Next on the list :
Install savvy cable shifter
Sye/Cv

Any rear bumper ideas?

Unread 04-19-2014, 06:06 PM   #12
rdock31
Average Jeeper

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Finally got around to reinstalling the back seat after a while of having it out. Also moved the license plate to the tailgate. Not much, hopefully more tech type stuff in the next couple weeks.

Unread 04-22-2014, 09:26 PM   #13
rdock31
Average Jeeper

1999 TJ Wrangler 

May have found a JK Rubi 44 to swap in, already shortened to TJ length. Hoping this is legit

Edit: It's a Rubi 44 front, and they're wanting 2k for it.. That's definitely a no-go.
On the bright side, I just became a paid supporter of the forum.
Unread 04-30-2014, 12:11 PM   #14
kajones
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nice build you have here. Seems to be pretty similar to mine. I was also looking at the ECGS 8.8s but then decided to save a few bucks and piece it together myself with the exception of welding and the actual re-gearing. Also the last few evenings I have been installing my MC Arched fenders too. Keep up the good work.
kajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2014, 02:36 PM   #15
Walkersports
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nice
Walkersports is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.