Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

College Build

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  madflyer72 
#1 ·
So here is the deal, so currently I am a college student with no money. Sure I get money from the military but that is basically just enough to get by. I always wanted a Wrangler but my parents were optimistic because my neighbor had one who always got drunk and rolled it. So finally last summer before leaving for training at Ft. Knox, I got the ok to get a jeep. I found one at a dealer for $7000. It was a 2000 blue wrangler completely stock with a 2.5Lt engine (little did I know about the big 4.0) and it only had about 60000 miles on it.

So here it is the day I got it.

Next I put some sound in it. After working for Circuit City for a while in their Firedog department (car audio installation) I needed sound. Especially when i found out how loud it was driving in a soft top. So I put a new head unit in and some new speakers.

There are also kickers in the front but i forgot to take pics of them.

After coming back from Ft. Knox I started school again in Mankato, MN. After seeing the aftermath of what kind of winter Mankato has, the hunt began for a Hard top. Finally found one on craigslist for 600 bucks and was satisfied. The only down side was that It was in Madison, WI, my home town, which is about a 6 hour drive back....

Next came tires. I got some old 31x10.5x15 from my roommate which were completely bald but none the less had a better look. As soon as the down poor of snow came though, I quickly realized that I needed a new set. So my roommate showed me a site that sold retreaded tires. I did some research and found that Tredritetires.com looked legit and it was half the cost of a reg tire.

The day the tires got here....

I then got my rims powder coated black and got my tires installed by my friend.

It was about -5 degrees outside.

Next my brother drilled out a pool ball for my jeep and stuck it on my stickshift. Worked out pretty good. I also stuck a CB radio in there....its a long drive home to Mad town so its nice to talk to truckers and find out whats going on traffic wise.

Next, I went on to Rustys Offroad and ordered a air intake with a throttle body spacer. Its sounds pretty damn cool.

Other than that, I have taken off those stupid milk jugs off my bumpers and installed an aircraft seatbelt for the drivers side. I got it free from my friend who works at an airport and it is awesome. Got a hi-lift jack and soon to get a winch. Other than that, the jeep is pretty stock.

I have realized that my jeep is a money pit and it is killing my savings. I think the biggest problem is coming on to this forum and looking what you guys have done to your jeeps :2thumbsup:. My GF even complains that I love my jeep more than her...:shhh: but o well.

Future plans:

3in lift
Front bumper
winch
lockers
I am sure there will be a lot more.

See less See more
#3 ·
Jeep looks good!! Love the color!

With the 4cyl. and 4.10 gears I'd go with 33's and a 2.5" lift with a small body lift.

#4 ·
my dads (basically mine because I do all the damn work on it!) is also a 2000 4 banger 5spd.

my theory is that the 4.10 gearing makes the 4 cyl pretty even to the 6cyl 5spd with the 3.07 stock gearing. Maybe not in acceleration, but probably in top speed.

Ok anyways, I went with the Rough Country 2.5 inch lift. I think it rides great and it was only like $300 with a steering stabilizer. I also went with a daystar 1 inch body lift. really just got this because it replaces all the old rubber mounts with poly. BEST body lift you can buy by far, should be factory equipment.

I really wouldn't build it up much because it will never have enough power. You can run 33's, and be ok. but much bigger then that its just not worth it.

#5 ·
Thanks guys. I think 33's will be the biggest I go. I just didn't know if that size tire would make the jeep slow as hell. I mean it already is a ***** going up hills and down shifting 24/7. I will def check into the 2.5in lift as well as the body lift. Damn i got to stop putting goodies on this thing and pay it off lol

#6 ·
Jeep looks good bud - it's nice and clean, wish I could keep mine looking clean still. As far as tires and gears go 33s are doable with the 4cyl and 5 spd but wld be rough. 31s are really the biggest u would want to go without much power loss. I ran 33s with 3.07s for a year or so, it was fine just didn't have much of a crawl ratio Offroad and no 5th gear on the highway

#10 ·
idk if i would agree with that. my friend has a 4.0 wrangler that he took on the trails with me and it seemed as though he could just trudge through everything just fine. Going up the muddy inclines was the worst. I had it in 4H and he had it in like 4L. I mean I can't think of anything positive about the 4 banger. it has no power, it gets the same kind of gas milage and prob worse than the 4.0 now that i have over sized tires on my jeep.

I mean what are the positives for having a 4 banger?

#16 ·
Well the day has come to sell the jeep. Losing money on the deal but it is going to good hands. It's going to be a sad day to see it leave but I can't take two vehicles to Ft. Benning with me. I want to thank everyone here on Jeepforum for all the help that you have given me with my questions on my jeep. I am now the person that everyone comes to at my work with questions about jeep wranglers because of the information I have gained from this site. Hopefully the guy buying my jeep jumps on the site so you guys can help him as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.