Cliptfc's 97 Wrangler with 4.8L GM swap - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-19-2016, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
cliptfc

Cliptfc's 97 Wrangler with 4.8L GM swap

I thought I would do a write up on my build. I was trying to make this build as budget friendly as possible. I've never done a swap before, and consider myself an average shade tree mechanic. Here's the day I bought the Wrangler last year, for $4200. She was a good running 4cyl with an auto transmission.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-19-2016, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
cliptfc

Taking out the 4cyl, auto transmission and transfer case out in one pull...

Open hole...
post #3 of 9 Old 05-19-2016, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
cliptfc

Here's the 4.8l, 4l60e transmission and the np231 transfer case mounted up. I used the Advance Adapters kit to mate the 4l60e to the np231 t-case.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-19-2016, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
cliptfc

I decided to use the Superior Radiator (out of Michigan) for cooling. I went with one that had the transmission cooler built in.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-19-2016, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
cliptfc

I didn't trust my welding ability enough to weld the new mounts in, so I trailered it over to a friend's place. I used the Advance mounts and they give you a tool to show you right where to weld them in.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-19-2016, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
cliptfc

Fitting the engine, transmission and tcase in. I put them in all in one drop....all mated up. I left the front grill off for the drop in.

post #7 of 9 Old 05-19-2016, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
cliptfc

The Advance kit required you do at least a 1" body lift. I went with the Zone 1.25" and it was a simple install. With the engine in, I realized it would need a suspension lift as well, as the power steering pulley was close to the front diff housing. It would have probably hit if it bottomed out. So keeping things on a budget, I went with Rough Country's 2.5" spring lift, with new shocks.

I realized the tires needed to hit the weight room after the body/suspension lift, so I had a set of 33x12.5x15 Buckshot Murder II's put on.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-19-2016, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
cliptfc

So I was trying to keep it budget friendly.... here's about 95% of the costs that were directly related to the swap.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-19-2016, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
cliptfc

Right now, my stock coolant, fuel, volt and oil pressure gauges work. I'm sure the speedometer will work, but I accidentally cut off and threw away the vss plug...waiting on a new one.

For the coolant, I reused the stock Jeep 3/8 not sensor with a ictbillet.com adapter into the rear of the passenger head. Didn't have to drill or anything, just installed it.

For the oil pressure, there was a plate above the oil filter I took off. It had a spot on the top that look like it was intended to be drilled and tapped for 1/8npt, so that's what I did. The Jeep oil pressure sensor screwed right in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.