Climbit's Daily Driven Weekend Wheeling affair - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Climbit's Daily Driven Weekend Wheeling affair

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #91
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Let us know how the brakes are.

ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #92
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

the brakes are ****ing awesome.

I did them last week, broke them in and have noticed a considerably better bite over the EBC yellows that I had on there.
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #93
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit
the brakes are ****ing awesome.

I did them last week, broke them in and have noticed a considerably better bite over the EBC yellows that I had on there.
Sweet, they will be on mine when I need brakes.
Unread 10-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #94
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

started working on dialing in the uptravel on the front suspension.

because I am running a straight panhard, I was having clearance issues with the dif cover. I started this project so that I could get a couple inches of uptravel back and put the ruffstuff cover that I won on.

I pulled the springs and shortened the LCAs to help clear the diff. right now, I have about 3/4" of shock shaft that I am not using. I could get that travel back but I need to clearance the inner fenders, which means a CAI of some kind and a Dry cell (optima style) battery.

driver fender clearance

driver shock at 'full bump'

passenger fender clearance

passenger shock at full bump

diff/panhard clearance at full bump. the panhard is 1-1/2" .250 wall DOM, I am going to build a new one out of 1.25" .120 wall chromolly to get a tiny bit of extra space.

a 4" piece of 1.25" UHMW will be added to the spring perch inside the prothane coil insert(not pictured) to act as a final bump stop. the prothanes I have are 5", I will space them up 1" with a hockey puck so that they have 2" of compression before the final bump is hit. the factory bump tower will have a 3"x3/8" bump pad (ruffstuffspecialties) added to it. I will have to shave them for the coils, but not sure about that yet.

oh and I need to drill drain holes in the factory bump towers. every time I pull the bumpstops they are full of water
Unread 11-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #95
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
started working on dialing in the uptravel on the front suspension.

because I am running a straight panhard, I was having clearance issues with the dif cover. I started this project so that I could get a couple inches of uptravel back and put the ruffstuff cover that I won on.

I pulled the springs and shortened the LCAs to help clear the diff. right now, I have about 3/4" of shock shaft that I am not using. I could get that travel back but I need to clearance the inner fenders, which means a CAI of some kind and a Dry cell (optima style) battery.

driver fender clearance

driver shock at 'full bump'

passenger fender clearance

passenger shock at full bump

diff/panhard clearance at full bump. the panhard is 1-1/2" .250 wall DOM, I am going to build a new one out of 1.25" .120 wall chromolly to get a tiny bit of extra space.

a 4" piece of 1.25" UHMW will be added to the spring perch inside the prothane coil insert(not pictured) to act as a final bump stop. the prothanes I have are 5", I will space them up 1" with a hockey puck so that they have 2" of compression before the final bump is hit. the factory bump tower will have a 3"x3/8" bump pad (ruffstuffspecialties) added to it. I will have to shave them for the coils, but not sure about that yet.

oh and I need to drill drain holes in the factory bump towers. every time I pull the bumpstops they are full of water
You go about it all fancy and stuff! For my inner fender clearancing I just used this high tech tool called a sledge . My front bump stops are Daystar extendeds up top and 1 hockey puck a side on the bump pad. I like your idea better though!
Unread 12-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #96
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Anything new?
Unread 12-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #97
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I left about that much shaft showing on mine just to make sure I didn't kill the shocks on hard hits. Something to consider.

Why not go with a bent trackbar to clear the diff better?

Ditch that LS in the 8.8, it's a known weak point in those, especially on 35's. Throw a Detroit or an ARB in there and be a baller.

I'm looking forward to what you do with the front fenders, I'm sure it will come out clean like the rest of your work.
99XJ 4.0/AW4/HP30/8.25 build coming soon...
www.undergroundjeeps.net
CTeunuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #98
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
Anything new?
not really...

I've been working on the 8.8 for the rear, its all cleaned up, ready for a truss, sleeve, cover, and mounts. just need time. I'll throw some pics up once I get it fabbed. probably spend some time on it later next week.

once the 8.8 is bolted in, I'll have to get the Ebrake cables sorted out.

I will lock it and run the super 88 as I can afford it.

I'm planning on adding 2 more inches of suspension height A la 3-link in the front with Polyperformance coils and possibly a set of deavers or full-traction leafs in the rear.

oh... and a set of 35" falken wildpeaks too.

anyone got a couple thousand dollars they want to give me
Unread 12-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #99
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

8.8 sleeve is done. Now it's time to start working on the truss.

image-3269582994.jpg
Unread 12-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #100
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

pre-ordered one of these for the front.
http://www.artecindustries.com/Front...-XJ_p_335.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTeunuch View Post
I left about that much shaft showing on mine just to make sure I didn't kill the shocks on hard hits. Something to consider.

Why not go with a bent trackbar to clear the diff better?

Ditch that LS in the 8.8, it's a known weak point in those, especially on 35's. Throw a Detroit or an ARB in there and be a baller.

I'm looking forward to what you do with the front fenders, I'm sure it will come out clean like the rest of your work.
thanks man.

some of the things you did on the elephant were the inspiration for this build.

the 8.8 will get a locker for sure. while the jeep isn't a daily driver anymore, it will still see a lot of road miles, so I'm pretty sure ARB will be it.

the reason I don't have a bent trackbar is that I'm running heims on both ends, so it needs to be straight.

once the 8.8 goes in, the fenders are next. I have to get off my *** and open up the rears, add some armor to the upper quarters, and cut and fold the lowers. the rear bumper will get re-worked too.

the plan is to invest in a JD2 to do tube fenders up front and start on an exo cage. just gotta see where my finances work out after the new year.
Unread 12-23-2012, 06:59 AM   #101
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
pre-ordered one of these for the front.
http://www.artecindustries.com/Front...-XJ_p_335.html

thanks man.

some of the things you did on the elephant were the inspiration for this build.

the 8.8 will get a locker for sure. while the jeep isn't a daily driver anymore, it will still see a lot of road miles, so I'm pretty sure ARB will be it.

the reason I don't have a bent trackbar is that I'm running heims on both ends, so it needs to be straight.

once the 8.8 goes in, the fenders are next. I have to get off my *** and open up the rears, add some armor to the upper quarters, and cut and fold the lowers. the rear bumper will get re-worked too.

the plan is to invest in a JD2 to do tube fenders up front and start on an exo cage. just gotta see where my finances work out after the new year.
I can't believe the elephant inspired anyone to do anything besides vomit, hahaha. But seriously, thanks, I tried to do some different things, I just wish I had started with a better platform and spent a little more time getting the details right.

What are you doing in the rear for fenders? Doing a minitub type cut reusing the stock inner fenders? For the front fenders check out this thread, this guy does a great job blending tube and sheetmetal

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1004420

That Artec truss looks badass, I've been impressed with the price and quality of their stuff. I really wish I went with one of their 8.8 trusses instead of the Clayton's one that doesn't actually 'truss' the axle. You going to run one of those Artec's on your 8.8?
99XJ 4.0/AW4/HP30/8.25 build coming soon...
www.undergroundjeeps.net
CTeunuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #102
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Any updates dood?
Unread 01-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #103
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
Any updates dood?
working on it this weekend.

will report.
Unread 01-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #104
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

minor update.

8.8 is almost ready to go it.

decided to work yesterday instead of playing on the jeep. but since I am still waiting for a couple of things for the 8.8 I decided to make money instead

my Ruffstuff Cover, 1310 Flange adapter, and Ebrake cables are on the way and should be here early this week.

after looking at them, it looks like my calipers have rust internally, so I will pick up a set to go with my Black Magic brakes on monday.

once that is done I can get the axle under the jeep, get the perches lined up and the pinion angle set. then I can build the truss for it and possibly a set of u-bolt plates.
Unread 02-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #105
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hey, didn't we build a truss for your 8.8 a few days ago?

BTW: Thanks for the brews.

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.