Climbit's Daily Driven Weekend Wheeling affair - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Climbit's Daily Driven Weekend Wheeling affair

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-20-2012, 01:41 AM   #76
JoynerG11

I'm loving that belly skid, great looking build so far

99' XJ 8.25/HP30
JoynerG11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #77
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoynerG11 View Post
I'm loving that belly skid, great looking build so far
thanks man. its definitely doing its job, needs a fresh coat of paint already
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #78
JoynerG11

Mind if I ask how much it cost for the machining that was done to it? I'm interested as an offseason project instead of just buying a t-case skid. I like how your crossmember is tucked up nicely, notice any effects on the t-case?

99' XJ 8.25/HP30
Unread 06-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #79
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoynerG11 View Post
Mind if I ask how much it cost for the machining that was done to it? I'm interested as an offseason project instead of just buying a t-case skid. I like how your crossmember is tucked up nicely, notice any effects on the t-case?
I had a buddy do the press brake work, he offered and there was no charge, but if i had hat to pay for it, it wouldn't surprise me if it was less than 100$. it really just depends on the price of fabrication in your area.

as far as the t-case tuck, you will need an SYE and a CV shaft to accomodate the angle change. other than that, I haven't noticed any difference. the trans/t-case tuck has been on for about a year now with no issues, daily driving. the skid has only been there for about a month or 2. no issues.
Unread 06-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #80
JoynerG11

yeah, i was planning on being sye'd by the offseason anyways. your xj is very similar to my build plan, looks like you're doing things right too. crawled. i look forward to hopefully borrowing your idea for the belly skid this winter haha

99' XJ 8.25/HP30
Unread 06-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #81
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

feel free. FYI, if I had to do it again, I would have shortened it by about an inch, only done one bend, and been more careful when I measured the angle.

still working on ideas for transmission protection. trying to figure out how to tie the skid in to the unibody near the motor mounts without interfering with anything.
Unread 06-28-2012, 02:35 AM   #82
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

got my Actionfab front bumper mounted, along with a rebuilt OEM steering box ported and tapped for assist.

still need some kind of side protection for the headlights, relocate the vacuum canister and all the other crap behind the stock bumper, re-build the fender supports, etc etc etc.

next up is protane coil inserts for the front, prothane extended bumps in the rear, re-valve the front shocks, track bar brace.

I'm also going to swap my motor and trans mount over to POLY. tired of how much my T-case moves around down there.
Unread 07-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #83
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

New PSC steering box, big bore, and P-Pump. had to make new lines as well.

pump with bracket kit

box
Unread 08-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #84
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I finally found your build, now I can harass you for updates!

Looking good, I really like what you did with the crossmember. You end up running the Prothane's yet? I've heard good things, but it's always nice to get more input before I buy anything. Ever end up 3linking it like you had planned? ONE MORE THING, how do you like the p-pump kit? I've been thinking of getting it to help out the Durango box when I jump to 35's, but I haven't read anything on it yet.
99XJ 4.0/AW4/HP30/8.25 build coming soon...
www.undergroundjeeps.net
CTeunuch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #85
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTeunuch View Post
I finally found your build, now I can harass you for updates!

Looking good, I really like what you did with the crossmember. You end up running the Prothane's yet? I've heard good things, but it's always nice to get more input before I buy anything. Ever end up 3linking it like you had planned? ONE MORE THING, how do you like the p-pump kit? I've been thinking of getting it to help out the Durango box when I jump to 35's, but I haven't read anything on it yet.
I've been running the prothanes for about 2 months now. they are awesome, but I need to find a better way of anchoring them down, they get turned sideways once in a while. I am spacing them up with a hockey puck, so I am thinking of attaching them to that.

the power steering setup is the best thing I have done to the jeep. I can actually turn with ease while locked, even when I'm twisted up in the rocks.
I would not wait, the higher flow of the durango box is going to kill a stock pump pretty quick. the PSC p-pump and bracket kit is sweet, but you will need to make new a new High pressure and return line as well as get a longer serpentine belt. I also recommend putting a cooler on there.

no 3-link yet. I'm working on stiffening the unibody up next and finishing off my rocker panel replacements. once that is done I need to lock the rear, I will probably build a 44 for it and then I need to do a ****-ton of sheetmetal work to fit 35"s. once that's done, I will do the 3-link in the front and probably end up going through the floor with the shocks in the rear to get some more travel back there.
Unread 08-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #86
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Nice, sounds like a good plan.

As far as mounting the Prothane's, my plan is to weld a ~2" tall piece of tube with an OD the same as the ID of the Prothane to the lower coil bucket. I'm hoping this will keep it centered in the spring and limit it's ability to bounce around. How tall are yours, and how much space is between them and the upper bumpstops?

I'm hoping to upgrade the rest of the steering system once I finish the suspension overhaul/front 44. It's not the best right now, but it works and there's other places that need attention first. What belt did you end up running?
99XJ 4.0/AW4/HP30/8.25 build coming soon...
www.undergroundjeeps.net
CTeunuch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #87
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I am running a 2" airgap before my prothanes hit, they are 5.5" long. I have an extra inch in the shocks on up so I can make that airgap a 3" airgap once I plate the uniframe and move the TB bracket on the frame side forward a bit to clear the dif cover better.

the belt is 6.5" longer than the oem belt. all we did was take the factory belt, cut it and measure how much was needed to cover the rest of the PS pulley and the asked the guy at the parts counter to get me one.
Unread 08-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #88
SaxManClay
2000 TJ Wrangler 

For relocating items that were behind the bumper;

For the horn, I flipped it and put it right next to the battery. It's a tight fit, but it'll work.

For the evap canister, the tube has been extended and it's mounted to the firewall. Again, tight fit, but it works. I can get pics if you want them too.
SaxManClay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #89
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Why have I not seen your build before? I dig your XJ. Yours and mine are closely along the same build lines. I like the flat cross member, I will be building one similar to that shortly. And it's good to see another dude on here rocking the Action Fab bumper!
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #90
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

thanks man... I found a nice crack under the steering box today.. right where the OEM steering box mounts.

so I drilled it, welded it, and plated it

other than that, I haven't done much to it, just swapped in new Black Magic pads and rotors on the vanco brakes.

and a picked up an 8.8 already geared to 4.56 with the factory LS and disc brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.