Climbit's Daily Driven Weekend Wheeling affair - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Climbit's Daily Driven Weekend Wheeling affair

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-30-2013, 12:45 AM   #136
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Update:

super88 is in.

next up:
plumb air line to locker
plate and brace frame side trackbar mount
artec truss for D30
different rear shocks?

Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #137
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

How you liking the MT/R's?
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #138
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
How you liking the MT/R's?
I like them. I've only got one trail run on them, but they are very well behaved on the street and they hook up really well.

I've been wheeling with guys running them and KM2s for years and they seem to both hook up and work equally, the benefit to the MTR being the sidewall strength.
Unread 09-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #139
Mike934

****ing AWSOME build! Similar to me...trussed 30/4.56/detriot/wj swap, 8.8/4.56/Aussie which will go for a arb eventually. 3.5 re coils, custom deaver leafs with a 7" shackle & HD no lift relocator brackets. Sits around 4" on 33x10.5. I will also now be searching for a set of 4" currie springs to replace my res.
prothanes,7100s all very similar. 2x6 rockers,frame plates, slightly different xmember setup but still similar.
Unread 09-05-2013, 12:56 AM   #140
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

thanks for the compliment. sounds like you have a pretty nice rig

I have been trying to hunt down an overheating issue I have been having.
at first I was thinking airflow, so I pulled the trans cooler out of the way to see if that changed anything. it did not.

next step is a fan clutch. I don't think I ever did it, so it needs doing anyhow.
if that doesn't fix it, I will be swapping the factory radiator back in, which I have cleaned up considerably.

I am also going to pull the thermostat housing and water pump and look at them, I feel like a good block flushing is in order.

I'm going to do one thing at a time though so I can figure out what is the real problem.
Unread 09-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #141
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Read the whole build, good stuff in here for sure! Do you have any pics of your rocker replacement setup? I checked your reply to the discussion on that topic over on 1990JEEPXJ's build, and you mentioned a method of doing it Ive considered but never seen anyone do.

Due to trail damage, the pinch seam (that most people seem to weld to in addition to bracing legs) on the passenger side is beyond mangled, so I was planning on using 2x4 and setting it up for how far I wanted it to stick out (just past door) then just burn on the bracing legs and weld the top (via sandwiching factory sheet metal with 1/8" strap and plug welding every 4-6 inches). Any design flaws with this? I was originally gonna do 2x6 but I have access to a deal on 2x4 but still want the same overall effect. In my head I feel this would work but since (i think) you may have done something similar to what Im thinking, Id like to get some input. Based on the build, you really think everything out thoroughly, and thats the type of build worth following.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #142
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT
Read the whole build, good stuff in here for sure! Do you have any pics of your rocker replacement setup? I checked your reply to the discussion on that topic over on 1990JEEPXJ's build, and you mentioned a method of doing it Ive considered but never seen anyone do.

Due to trail damage, the pinch seam (that most people seem to weld to in addition to bracing legs) on the passenger side is beyond mangled, so I was planning on using 2x4 and setting it up for how far I wanted it to stick out (just past door) then just burn on the bracing legs and weld the top (via sandwiching factory sheet metal with 1/8" strap and plug welding every 4-6 inches). Any design flaws with this? I was originally gonna do 2x6 but I have access to a deal on 2x4 but still want the same overall effect. In my head I feel this would work but since (i think) you may have done something similar to what Im thinking, Id like to get some input. Based on the build, you really think everything out thoroughly, and thats the type of build worth following.
Thanks man.

I used 2x6.

I did not weld the backside, just sealed it with marine grade seam sealer.

I will try to hunt down some pics for you.

The reason I said what I said is because now that I have done it, I see no benefit to the extra 2" of tube if you aren't going to weld the backside.

I did not cut the doors or the floor. I wish I had, the Amount of clearance I lost by not doing so is astounding.

My long term plan is to ditch the rockers all together and replace with 1-3/4" tube that is the base of a cage. But that's a project for later.
Unread 09-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #143
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
Thanks man.

The reason I said what I said is because now that I have done it, I see no benefit to the extra 2" of tube if you aren't going to weld the backside.
Thank you for the quick response, glad to know someone else has the same mindset. I didnt see much of a need for 2x6 in my situation, with legs for bracing, welding the tube to the pinch seam seems a bit redundant. A second opinion is always a good thing!

I had considered going up higher with the rocker replacement, for my uses I feel it will be high enough though. Still plenty of clearance advantage over the bolt-on guys. I can understand the benefit for your rig since the flatbelly xmember has everything else tucked out of the way.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #144
QXj97
1997 XJ Cherokee 

just read the whole build nice jeep
QXj97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #145
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT

Thank you for the quick response, glad to know someone else has the same mindset. I didnt see much of a need for 2x6 in my situation, with legs for bracing, welding the tube to the pinch seam seems a bit redundant. A second opinion is always a good thing!

I had considered going up higher with the rocker replacement, for my uses I feel it will be high enough though. Still plenty of clearance advantage over the bolt-on guys. I can understand the benefit for your rig since the flatbelly xmember has everything else tucked out of the way.
The reason I blew a hub was because I get hung on the rear portion of my rockers. I was hung on the drivers side, and rather than back off the line I decided to drop the hammer and see what happened. A blown hub is what happened.
Unread 09-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #146
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Forgive me but I missed it, what front axle are you running? Dana 30 with hubs if so were did you get the hubs?
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #147
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95
Forgive me but I missed it, what front axle are you running? Dana 30 with hubs if so were did you get the hubs?
I am running a Dana 30 with the Warn 5 on 4.5" hub conversion. It requires a different stub shaft than factory
Unread 09-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #148
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Can I ask why your running it?

I <3 rockrash
Unread 09-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #149
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95
Can I ask why your running it?

I <3 rockrash
I'm running it because when Joe Dillard built the axle, he installed it.

I decided to keep it because despite the drawback of the hubs being weak, I enjoy having lockouts, and having the fuse be the hub instead of the shaft is a nice thing.

If I were to do it again, I wouldn't bother with the hub kit.
Unread 09-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #150
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Well that is nice, honestly I'd rather have the shaft fail its $40 not $120

I <3 rockrash

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.