Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Climbit's Daily Driven Weekend Wheeling affair

29K views 211 replies 22 participants last post by  Grewe02 
#1 ·
I suppose I've been on here long enough to warrant a build thread on my XJ

the goal of this XJ is to ge a rockcrawler. its not there yet, its not even close. but I'm in college, working as hard as I can and learning as much as I can.

things are starting to pick up.

it al started with a RE 3.5" SF lift a Rusty's 1" drop transmission crossmember, and a Rusty's tie-rod conversion

here is how it sat, stock tires; just about 4.5" of lift netted.

after a few months, I went with 33x1050 on some pro-comp 1069. no fender trimming: bad idea.

Took it to big bear CA and wheeled on some trails.

See less See more
#3 ·
next up is the upper control arms. the upper bushings were toast so I replaced them with a Currie Johnny Joint upper housing kit. bought through Savvy offroad and installed with the help of Joe Dillard.

the passenger side bushing is cut off about 4" above the tube, the JJ in the 1" flame cut post is welded in.

Then the drivers side bushing is pressed out. we used a balljoint press and a piece of the tube that fit around it cut to the right length.

then the JJ is pressed in reverse of the old bushing and CA's mounted up.

#4 ·
Installed a Clayton Offroad frame side Track Bar bracket.
I chose this one because they offer it without a drop from factory height but in double shear.

you can see in the first pic that I had to space out the heim with some washers since they only offer their bracket for a 2.5" JJ whearas my TB uses a 5/8" heim with 2" misalignment spacers so I had to take up .5"

Double Shear FTW

#5 ·
Rokmen uppers and lowers went in.

extended the wheelbase 1.5" to correct a driveshaft issue... I was fully collapsing it at full droop and risking damage to the u-joints or transfer case. dialed pinion angle. replaced all bushings with Johnny Joints.

out with the old... in with the new

2.5" johnny joints replace ****ty RE hourglass bushings

Rokmen uppers.... almost 5 times as thick as stock... these ends go on my already installed upper JJ kit.

#9 ·
santa brought jeep presents

be a couple weeks before I get them installed :sadnono:

EDIT I have not been able to install the Aussie because my case has too much pre-load. we tried using a home-made spreader to no avail... once I have some extra coin (after taxes) I will get a shop to do it the right way.

#12 ·
my NP242 has some slack in the chain so I want to get rid of it

so

I picked up this little toy;

NP231 out of a TJ it needs a SYE and a driveshaft before it goes in

I also need a speedo plug, shift indicator plug, shift bezel, and shift gate from an XJ with a 231 to complete the swap if anyone has one lying around.

#13 ·
began working on a swingout tire carrier

I know its not ideal for a rock crawler. but since I still DD this thing I need to get that tire out of the back.
it is not uncommon for it to see a trip to the mountains fully loaded with climbing gear and 3 or 4 climbers so getting the tire out of the back was essential... plus they look cool :rofl:

here is what I started with; that plate you see will be cut down and sit behind the wheel with the wheel bolted to it.

here is what the main bumper body will be made of: 5"x5"x3/16"...62" long

here is how far I got today; the carrier is 2"x2"x3/16"

#14 ·
got the spindle from AtoZ today.

finished the main bumper.

once I have some time next week I will get the spinde installed and the carrier on, then its time for prep and paint.

better with the angles

side shot

hows this for Flux core :fu:
vertical

horizontal

#15 ·
The bumper came off again today. I wanted to add some internal gussets on each side to stiffen up the tire carrier spindle and latch.

spindle side:

I also wanted to take pictures of the unibody tie-in brackets. I used a piece of 1/4" flat bar along the length, a piece of 1/4" 2x2 angle as a stiffener on the body side, and 2 pieces of 1/4"x3" flat as stiffeners inside the bumper. this is the highest clearance system I could come up with while still keeping structure vertically for upward impacts like coming off a ledge and landing on the bumper.

The tie in brackets:

the internal gussets

also, the piece of flat stock that AtoZ sends with their T-handle was not tall enough for the way I welded the spindle on (I wanted the spindle up higher) so I welded it to a piece of scrap 2x2x1/4" angle and welded that to the bumper body.

I am also in the process of repainting it with rustoleum hammered for a light texture look. pics when its done.

#16 ·
got he carrier bolted together yesterday. when i have some more free tim i will do the D-ring tabs and the hitch.

I'm also going to texture-coat it with some rustoleum hammered when its 100% done.

pics of the tie in brackets to come later

#17 ·
new harmonic balancer went on.

the jeep has looked like this for the last 2 days

the old balancer broke rather than coming off with the puller leaving the pressed on portion still on the crank. using a die grinder I was able to cut a notch in it and pound a chisel into that notch and breaking the remaining part off of the crankshaft.

the old balancer in place

finally off

had to pull the fan clutch, water pump pulley, alternator bracket, and AC bracket to get the timing cover off... cleaned and replaced seal.
the jeep is all back together now; just needs coolant and it should be good to go :knockonwood:

#19 ·
I don't have pictures of the Brown-dog motor mount install or the new trans mount (OEM replacement)

I am getting a slight vibe from the brown dogs... anyone have any advice.

I am also working on an idea for a raised up trans crossmember that is flat to the uniframe and a flat skid.

all this will happen after the 231 gets SYE and a driveshaft gets built.

then its time to cut the rocker panels out and replace them with some 2x6x3/16" like EricsXJ did.

#23 ·
sooo any new progress?

i still need to check out that tire carrier you built.

-chris
well, I went to the stealership and get the necessary T-case swap stuff ordered. my SYE has been ordered, and I need to finish up my new Xmember and skid plate for the attempt at going to a flat belly.

several guys on NAXJA have gone flat with a 231 t-case behind the AW4, so I'm hoping it works for me.

the tire carrier is in pieces, it will get welded back together soon, maybe tomorrow. I made a few modifications. :rofl:

#24 ·
about time you make a build thread! geez. you going to drill new holes in the transmission for the t-case to clock it?

#29 ·
went from this

to this

I still have to drill and tap the hole in the output shaft, but I ran out of time.
its a dirtbound offroad SYE FWIW.

its a little bit long for my taste, but I think it will be fine. only time will tell I suppose.

#30 ·
im sure itll be fine. i wish i had went with an SYE with a yoke like that. makes having one spare driveshhaft that much easier. if you want some help with the t-case swap let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.