The Cleanest ZJ in Western NY - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Cleanest ZJ in Western NY

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #1
Manche87
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The Cleanest ZJ in Western NY

Its been a while since I have poisted on the forum so figured it was time to get everyone caught up on what has been going on. I sold my pride and joy 1998 Jeep Cherokee about two years ago to my good friend in northern PA. (Pic and build thread below)

412.jpg
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...oject-1048331/

As part of the deal with my friend he had a 1997 Jeep ZJ that he was going to scrap due to a blown transmission that he replaced, but could not get running again afterwards. I already had two new tires on my XJ so for buying a matching pair to make for 4 brand new tires he gave me the ZJ. I basically bought the ZJ for $300 and still sold him my xj for $4500. Not too bad of a deal. Here's me making the swap at his house.

73757_609417148074_586502191_n.jpg

The Jeep was in overall amazing shape. It was originally from Virginia so there was no rust to be found on the body at all. Some prior work had been done on the passenger side rear quarter panel and had the clear coat de-laminating on the panel. In addition my friend had just hit a deer with the jeep prior to blowing the transmission causing the hood to be damaged, and the springs to be sprung, along with the mount panel and front bumper being damaged.

In order to get the jeep running again, i narrowed the issue down to the PCM computer being fried. I replaced it with a refurbished unit off of Ebay. It fired right up, and i registered it on the road. Upon driving it for a week, the junkyard transmission blew as well. At that time i had considered parting it out or scrapping it. Coincidentally at that time, my girlfriends 2000 dodge intrepid developed a few new problems as well. In addition to it being rusted out, it had developed a fuel leak above the exhaust manifold. we decided to use the money from selling her intrepid to have the transmission professionally rebuilt in the jeep, seeing as it was in much better shape than her car.

After rebuilding the transmission we drove the jeep for a year with minimal work, a new header panel and headlights and a ziptied bumper, it was not the prettiest jeep on the road but it got us from point A to point B. In the last 2 weeks I decided that for our initial investment of the jeep being so low, it would be worth our while to put some money into it and keep it from being just another rotted out jeep zj on the roads of western NY here in the rust belt. So i set out to fixing any rust that started and dressing the jeep up to last for years to come.

Unread 10-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
Manche87
1998 XJ Cherokee 

img_2688.jpg

img_2689.jpg

img_2690.jpg

img_2692.jpg

img_2693.jpg

img_2694.jpg

img_2695.jpg

img_2696.jpg

img_2703.jpg

img_2705.jpg
Unread 10-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #3
Manche87
1998 XJ Cherokee 

img_2706.jpg

img_2707.jpg

img_2708.jpg

img_2709.jpg

img_2710.jpg

img_2711.jpg

img_2712.jpg

img_2713.jpg

img_2714.jpg

img_2715.jpg
Unread 10-12-2014, 02:19 PM   #4
Manche87
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I had a GMC Acadia exhaust tip laying around so i decided to install it on the Jeep for a slightly different look. I know it doesn't do a thing for performance, but i figured why not since it was free?

img_2716.jpg

img_2717.jpg

img_2718.jpg

img_2719.jpg

img_2720.jpg

img_2723.jpg
Unread 10-12-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
mlgarrett
2000 TJ Wrangler 

looks good whats next
mlgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #6
Manche87
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Still deciding what is next, we just recently put the rims and tires on it that are pictured. They should be perfect for winter being narrow and deep tread. For now all that is planned is putting the roof rack that was on the orange xj back on the zj. I would like to lift it however funds are tight between paying off student loans and saving for a house

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.