CJwranglerstein - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > CJwranglerstein

UCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!Jeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, Disc

Unread 08-22-2014, 09:09 AM   #1
travisintally
1982 CJ7 

CJwranglerstein

I need some member verification that I am not headed off into jeep hell

Once I am sure the below is the direction I am going I will shoot some pics of the start. Thanks

I am thinking of a build using the following parts and need some input as to potential unseen, to me, problems before I get too deep into this. This is the 1st time I have taken this many parts form this many vehicles to build one jeep. The combo below represents to me what a base jeep should have been from the factory. This is my woods and hunting jeep and Saturday with the top off run around town jeep. I do not rock climb and the trails around here are rutty with water and mud and mostly flat(N Florida). I may in the future engine up but for the time being the 258 will serve me fine I think. The parts are from a compilation of jeeps and parts left over from the years.

Frame - 1989 YJ frame
Body - 1989 YJ tub and misc CJ-7 front clip parts and CJ-tailgate conversion
Suspension - Rubicon Express extreme YJ 4.5" lift
Motor - 1979 258 IL 6 cyl (the engine, tranny and T-case are all out of the same 79 CJ-7 rust bucket)
Tranny - 1979 T-18a (6.32 low gears)
T-case - 1979 Dana 20 (might consider ditching and installing Dana 300)
Front Axle - 1977 Wagoneer Dana 44 with pass side diff 4.11 gears disc brakes and locking hubs.
Rear axle - 1988 Wagoneer Dana 44 Axle with center pinion 4.11 gears
33" tires
Other stuff to finish this to be a CJ-7 looking jeep.

The only thing I am concerned about right now is whether the front Dana 44 pinion will line up laterally with the front output of the Dana 20 or later 300.

I have already eliminated the rear sway bar from the YJ frame but could or could not do the same in front. I have all the stuff to mate the YJ sway bar to the front axle. Thoughts?

Any issues I should expect to face other than a thin wallet?

Thanks muchly

Travis

travisintally is online now Report Post

travisintally is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a good project. I would go with a 300 and make sure the 18a will fit on the tail of the 258. Other than that,

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2014, 10:37 AM   #3
travisintally
1982 CJ7 

The t-18a was original to the 258 I am using along with the Dana 20.

So how critical is the location of the front T-case output in alignment to the front pinion in regards to side to side? I assume there is an acceptable amount of lateral difference for proper driveshaft operation, just not sure of what it is.

Thanks

Travis
Unread 08-23-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

not to sure about the drive shaft angle, but your list of parts sounds like it will make a nice rig

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 11:08 AM   #5
84jeepcj7rock

I am using a 77 D44 out of Cherokee Sport. WMS- WMS is 65". The spring perches are 32" on center. Not sure what the spring center is on the YJ. I assume the same as my CJ.
You will need to get a full width axle kit or cut down the axle, unless your axle is narrower than mine. I would not worry about the lateral offset of the driveshaft unless you plan on high speed 4wd. Even then, I ran an offset rear D44 and it took 5 yrs to wear out the pinion bearing.
84jeepcj7rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
travisintally
1982 CJ7 

I have some pics and actual measure dimensions and will post later. I am liking what I am seeing so far.
Unread 08-23-2014, 08:14 PM   #7
travisintally
1982 CJ7 

I think I have finally resolved my build thoughts.

lets go back to the beginning

I bought this YJ back in 1994. It ran but needed some repairs. I put a SYE on the NP231 and installed a 4.5" RE extreme lift. I drove it for about two years. It took a back seat to other things for about the last 9 years. I like the YJ frame as it is beefier and wider than a Cj-7. It has a solid frame and tub but other than that there is nothing about this jeep that interested me. I pulled the drive train and am getting rid of everything other than the NP231 that already has the SYE installed and Double CJ drive shaft. Both are in great condition and could be used for a Cherokee/Comanche build.

A couple of tub pics

My T-18a and Dana 20 out of a 1979 CJ-7

Just seeing what the T-18 A and Dana 20 look like.

I have a rear Dana 44 out of a 1988 Wagoneer and a front Dana 44 out of a 1977 Wagoneer.

Axles and wheels in the frame. The CJ-10 tub is going on the stretch 1979 CJ-7 frame for a cj-10 truck build

All up this point is a kind of parts inventory and mock up to make sure I am heading in the right direction. I have not seen many threads on taking a YJ frame and building a CJ -7 type driveline build so I took a lot of measurements and actually disassembled the long side of both the 1988 wagoner and 1877 wagoner front axles and came to some conclusions. I will post those in the next post.
Unread 08-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #8
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

you have a solid starting point so far

Unread 08-23-2014, 08:52 PM   #9
travisintally
1982 CJ7 

Axle swap tech

Yj originally had:

Front - Dana 30 with 60 1/2" between WMS's and 30 3/4" center of spring perch to spring perch.

Rear- Dana 35 with 61" between WMS's and 40 3/8" center of spring perch to spring perch.

Swaps

Rear - Dana 44 with 58 1/2" between WMS's. This swap is easy. I just took the Dana 44 and removed spring perches and then put the spring perches on the springs and then centered the axle on the perches and bolted the axle down. Once I have the engine/tranny/T-case lightly installed I will check pinion angles and weld spring perches and new shock mounts in.

Front - Dana 44 with 61" between WMS's and 31 1/2" center of spring perch to spring perch. Ok here is where the engineering and your help comes in. Unlike the drivers side Dana 44 that have some diff area that you can grind on to compensate for the 1" difference between the wagoner" and YJ's respective spring perch dimensions, my axle (passenger side diff) has no where to grind (see pic. To move the u-bolt inward the needed 1/2 " puts it into the diff cover bolts.

I am most likely going to cut and turn this axle due to lift and location of the T-case relative to the diff. In looking over the relative geometries of the 1977 and 1988 axles I notice that it looked like the long side of the 1988 was actually shorter than the 1977. I pulled both axles and the 1988 inner axle is actually about 1" shorter. So here is what I am thinking. Leave the passenger side of the axle mounted where it wants to be and move the driver's side spring perch inward 1" and cut 1" off the driver's side tube and rebuild the 1977 axle using the 1" shorter long side shaft from the 1988 axle. This gives me 60" WMS and the spring perches are right where they need to be and the axle is centered in the frame. Plus I should be able to stay with stock parts.

The 1977 is in rear and the 1988 is in front.

outer axles

Inner axles

Am I missing anything?
Unread 08-23-2014, 09:00 PM   #10
travisintally
1982 CJ7 

Thanks Lovett. I am neck deep into it at this point so no turning back
Unread 08-24-2014, 06:57 AM   #11
84jeepcj7rock

Another option is to do a shackle reversal and move the spring mounts to match the spring perch width. Things that make you go hmmmmm.
84jeepcj7rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2014, 07:53 AM   #12
travisintally
1982 CJ7 

If I do a shackle reversal it still keeps my frame/spring centers the same so I will be at the same place but just shackles in the back.

I was actually considering a reversal in general but I think I have decided against it. I see about as many people who are for it as against it in terms of positive results that I am just going to pass until I can ride in a jeep like mine but with the reversal so I can feel it for myself.
Unread 08-24-2014, 08:15 AM   #13
jeep50

Interesting thread!
jeep50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2014, 08:33 AM   #14
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sub'd like the build plan.
Unread 08-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #15
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

On my jeep, I'm using a dodge Dana 44 from a 81-84 dodge ram, same situation as yours, but I'm gonna do the shackle reversal and out board the frame mounts for the springs instead of cutting and shortening the tube

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.