CJ7 frame swap - sway bar issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > CJ7 frame swap - sway bar issues

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
danfrye
1978 CJ7 

CJ7 frame swap - sway bar issues

Have a new/used CJ7 frame that I'm swapping with my old frame under my 1978 CJ7. the new frame does not have the same mounting brackets or threaded holes as the original frame. On the original the brackets bolt (w/ one bolt thru a sleeve) through the frame and two threaded bolts under the frame rail. The new frame does not have any the holes or mounting points for the brackets. Not sure what to do?? Wondering if any of you ran into this sort of thing and/or if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

danfrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
84jeepcj7rock

Depending on what you plan on using the jeep for, I would drive it without the sway bars first and see what you think. If you are using lift springs, you most likely wont need them IMO. If you do want them, I would hook everything up, make sure the sway bar is level, use the bracket as a template to drill your holes. I like to weld a nut to a washer, put the nut into the frame and the weld the washer to the frame. That way, you can thread your bolts into the frame.
84jeepcj7rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
danfrye
1978 CJ7 

the washer trick is a great idea. so... you drill a whole big enough to receive the nut and put that up into the frame then weld the washer to the frame right? Probably need a pretty strong washer though right?
danfrye is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.