CJ7 4bt Cummins swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > CJ7 4bt Cummins swap

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 02-10-2010, 12:51 AM   #1
medunwoody
1985 CJ7 

CJ7 4bt Cummins swap

Well I figured I'd post some pictures of the project we've been working on the past month. It originally had the 6 cylinder with a 5sp and was replaced with the nv4500 and the original dana 300. Overall, the swap went really well and was amazing the difference the diesel had compared to the original 6 banger. We didn't even have to change driveshafts but with the aftercooler, had to modify the oil pan and powersteering pump reservoir. In the end, it was a lot of work but well worth it. I'll post more(and clearer) pictures of it complete when I can get a sunny day. Sorry for the bad quality in some, they were from a cell phone.

Pictures by cwdxd4 - Photobucket

medunwoody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Gotta see more!!!!!

Love it
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2010, 03:32 AM   #3
BeepTheJeep

Do you have some more photos? those that you posted were the best! Still waiting for the other photos. cheers!
BeepTheJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
jkl
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm jealous! Considered doing this swap in my CJ but ended up doing a sbc.

'13 10th Anniversary Unlimited Rubi
'05 LJ on 35s
1 Ton XJ on 40s...went up in flames :(
1 Ton Scrambler Build Thread:"Project Taildragger"
...now parting out
jkl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
medunwoody
1985 CJ7 

Here are a few more. Also, there are a bunch more pictures on the link.
dscn0271.jpg   dscn0282.jpg   dscn0295.jpg  

Last edited by medunwoody; 02-10-2010 at 11:44 PM..
medunwoody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #6
94laredo
2004 LJ Wrangler 

The swap looks great. Im glad to see there are more locals on the board. Im in Columbia also.
94laredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
offroadnut36
1990 XJ Cherokee 

now you have to take a video!!
Unread 05-06-2014, 12:37 AM   #8
jeeplifer
1978 CJ7 

Nice job! looks great. im actually in the planning phase for the same project. i have an 86 cj7 sitting and rotting.. have a strong cj7 frame that that i am gonna weld plates on in several places to reinforce. also gonna use d44 and d30 off the 86. how have you enjoyed the swap thus far? anything that you would do differently? originally i wanted to go automatic. 700r4 or something stronger. however, all i keep reading about is the nv4500. how difficult was it to install? i.e. clutch parts and accessories? also, what kind of lift are you running? i was thinking of SOA with yj springs. final question: with those gears, what is your highway driving like?
jeeplifer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #9
wranglin95

I love it! Way to do something different!
wranglin95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.