cj5 for winter project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > cj5 for winter project

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still Available

Unread 09-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
whisperingpines
1967 CJ5 

cj5 for winter project

I just bought a cj5. this one may be a candidate for the worst cj of the month. I will post pics when i get it home after he gets the title for me. UGH It has no roll bar, I have no clue where the tall peterbuilt seats came from but passenger isn't even bolted down. The front drive shaft is in the back, the front axle makes weird clunk when turned by hand, the old multispray painted pealing wheels are original, 1.5 inch shackle lift by a terrible welder, home made tailgate aluminum plate over wood frame. Wiring harness is not a harness but individual wires strung wherever, lights don't work(NONE) No back seat at all, and the worst part there is no stereo or speakers at all. Good thing shop has one as it won't be leaving there for a while anyway. But hey it has a smooth running v6, good solid frame, and for the most part a solid tub. I can do it. It is pretty much original but won't be when I am done. going to have a tilt wheel as I hate the solid shaft. will get a good 3 inch liftbody work and paint and I will take every bolt out of the drive train for all new bearings bushings and seals because we cross water often.

whisperingpines is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
whisperingpines
1967 CJ5 

Ok so i found a set of 32x12.5 tires on nice wheels for this jeep. I haven't done one since the stroker and we went crazy on that one. Can anyone tell me how muck lift i need to clear but not be too high? I want this one trail ready but still street friendly. I put my old one on top of the axles too. Can I do the same with this one to get desired lift?
Unread 09-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
whisperingpines
1967 CJ5 

got the gem home

wiring is a mess. took 20 minutes to figure out how to power coil. broken wire terminal in that mess. Its coming out.
steering good, shofters tight. no puddles. ran and drove good for the 7.00x15 tires on original wheels. little v6 sounds good. good oil pressure and temp so far.
going to cut the entire floor out of a mini van to get floor with clip in seat. getting the matching buckets. This project will not be quick but it will be fun.
Unread 09-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
whisperingpines
1967 CJ5 

roll bar

looking for specs. Does anyone know the dimensions of the roll bar? I will have to build my own but I want one bar in normal location and one bar in the back to eliminate the need for soft top bows and a place to mount grab handles for anyone in the back.
Unread 10-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
whisperingpines
1967 CJ5 

Got her running right. several new wires and even more new connectors later. Wanted to ensure it ran good before I tore it down to decide if she needed a rebuild while I had it tore down. Runs great. Drives good too. tight steering really surprised me. Maybe the 39000 original odometer is corect. Porb not.
Bad news some PO cut out the side bracing for the front mounts. Will have to weld in new ones when i get the tub off.
Unread 11-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
whisperingpines
1967 CJ5 

Update finally, I found a "junk" jeep. It had cancer beyond belief. Good news, it was haul it off type. Good hard top, good doors, good tail gate, nice front bumper/brush guard, and plenty of extra parts. It supposedly didn't run but from the looks of the wiring I bet its not motor problem. Will make a great donor. I will post pictures as soon as dissassembly starts. The garage has been emptied and winter is coming so the time has come to play with this toy.
Unread 11-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
tonkatrucksryan

2014 JK Wrangler 

Can't wait to see the pics
tonkatrucksryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.