CJ5, Lost but found its way back... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > CJ5, Lost but found its way back...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 10-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #1
Moparjoel
1977 CJ5 

CJ5, Lost but found its way back...

First, here is a little history on myself; My name is Joel. I am currently Deployed to Osan AB South Korea for one year. I am a F16 Fighter Jet Crewchief (Mechanic) I have finished 8 months out of my 12 month Deployment already and I am very anxious to get back to my Jeep in Phoenix, AZ, 6250 Miles away from me right now. Since I cant wrench until I get back, messing around on the computer is all i can do.

Specs on the 1977 CJ5
Engine: 258 single barrel carb
Transmission: T-150
Transfercase: Dana 20
Diffs: front:AMC20
Back: Dana30, Rear has been upgraded to solid axles.
Suspension: Mostly stock with a Rancho 4" lift

Here is the back story:

Back in 1996ish I was in my early teens and my father came to me one day and said "son what do you think about a Jeep for your first vehicle?" I thought it was cool My dad had a 81 CJ7 and it was tricked out. So i was thinking "Sweet I wish i could have one!" he said " there is a guy at my work, he has one for sale it need some work but it will be good for you." so for around $200 bucks I believe it was I had saved up I gave it to my dad and within a few days the tow truck arrived with a silver 1977 CJ5 on it

I was so happy until I saw the front! Apparently the previous owner got drunk one night at a bar decided to drive the poor little CJ5 home and ended up wrapping its front bumper,grill and hood around a tree/ telephone poll.

So years went by and every Birthday,Christmas or cash from mowing neighbors lawns I got a part for the jeep or would get dropped off in a jeep wrecking yard until my jeep looked like this...

After getting my permit and driving it a few times my dad came to the conclusion it was not a smart vehicle to have for a kid with a lead foot and no comprehension of center of gravity and short wheel base. So he suggested (TOLD ME) to get something else. I really did not want to, since we had put so much work into it. But he bribed me $2500 so I could buy a Dodge Ramcharger which was my Dream 4X4 to own, so I agreed and sold the jeep to another coworker of my dads (different place of work).

My Ramcharger I basically traded for the CJ5.

I loved my Ramcharger, still miss it, but eventually I parted it out a few years back to convert my 57 Dodge pickup into my daily driver. It uses the 360(Mopar) Engine I built and lots of other random parts.

My now daily driver 57 Dodge Ram.

About 3 years ago my dad let me know the man he had sold the Jeep to was selling it in favor of a 58 chevy truck So I begged the wife, but we did not have the money at the time. But my little Brother needed a car at the time and bought the little CJ5. The previous owner had taken real good care of the Jeep. But my Brother was a Destroyer of vehicles and every car he's had he runs into the ground until it is too far gone for him, so he moves on to another vehicle.

Well my Brother had the Jeep for about a year and a half before parking the jeep at my dads house after blowing the clutch out for the 3rd time. he had also blown the transmission apart a few months earlier and after the clutch went out he was so frustrated he parked it. at that time I had a few extra dollars and ended up getting it back not running for what I had originally gave it up for $2500. but my brother had bought a new clutch he was throwing in the deal.
Here it is as I got it from my brother about a year ago:

First thing was to separate the 3 speed and see what the problem is.

Turns out the clutch Fingers were worn right off. I had read in one of the jeep forums at the time the heavier duty clutch's dont last as long since they have so much spring pressure they cause alot more wear. So in goes the new lighter duty Clutch.
Here is new/old clutch:

Now to reassemble:

After assembling the transmission. I was doing some crawling out in the Phoenix Desert and came down really hard on the front end

(unknown to me) the front yoke came up and grabbed my skid plate on the oil pan and ripped it off. I got about a quarter mile booking it down a dirt road when I heard a lifter tick, I looked over to my buddy in the passenger seat and asked "do you hear that? sound like a lifter?" so I slammed the braked turned off the ignition and looked under and saw a trail of oil behind me.

so I had it towed home. I removed the pan installed a new rear main since mine was leaking and put a new rubber gasket on the oil pan to replace that nasty cork.

I ripped the skid plate clear off and welded up the 6 tack weld holes that used to hold the skid plate there. using water to see if the welds would hold since oil is thicker it should not have a problem. and now she doesnt leak a drop.

Not done yet...

Last edited by Moparjoel; 10-19-2013 at 07:49 AM..
Moparjoel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
Moparjoel
1977 CJ5 

After getting More used to driving it and fixing bugs here and there she is turning out to be a pretty dependable little Jeep. So I thought I would treat her to some Cosmetic upgrades including a New chrome Bumper, Some KC slim lights, and Custom 77 Jeep Freedom Plates.

Some Red HALO Headlights,

A new Roll bar mounted Dome light,

Pistol Grip Hurst Shifter knob.

Unread 10-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
Moparjoel
1977 CJ5 

Well during the winter before my deployment in March, Me and some co-workers decided to head north to Prescott, AZ to go camping. I was pretty excited about the trip, mostly getting to take the jeep in the snow for the first time. The poor CJ didn't make it to the camp grounds, It made it about 20 miles out side of PHX. with me leading 4 other of my buddy's vehicles, we were averaging about 75-80MPH up I-17. and the head wind was too much for my little radiator causing the top driverside spot weld that attaches to the radiator tank busted loose and the radiator blew back into the fan... Creating a giant hole in the middle of the core...
Here is the carnage......

Delayed our camping trip a few hours, waiting for the tow truck to take it back to my house.

But it didnt stop us just moved my camping gear to another truck and pressed on.
Unread 10-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
Moparjoel
1977 CJ5 

So, on my phone, on the way camping I went on ebay ordered a New aluminum 3 Row Radiator for $150 and had it over nighted to my house, so it would be waiting for me with the Jeep.

The nice man in brown brought me my radiator a few days later and I had it in, in about 30 minutes the only problem I ran into is the over flow nipple next to the cap is facing the wrong direction (Pass side) instead of driver side where my over flow reservoir is so I extended it and routed it over the valve cover not real happy with it I might relocate the reservoir after I get the stock jack off the inner fender and replace it with a high jack on the bumper.

Unread 10-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
Moparjoel
1977 CJ5 

I got tired of hauling my Spare in the back seat. So I came up with this cheap contraption, since the swing away mounts are so much. Eventually I will get one but for now this works. Utilizes my hitch but still allows me to still tow, I even made it where it could fold down to access my tailgate.

I came up with A Idea and for about 60 bucks I "made" this contraption by using two already produced pieces.

I found this piece for $30 at Walmart, its used for those foldaway hitch basket to store extra luggage.

And this piece at Camping World for $30. For mounting a spare to a trailer bumper.

So for $60 bucks and some scrap steel, I fabbed up this guy...

And with almost a foot gap I have plenty of room for jerrycans/ tool box
Unread 10-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #6
Moparjoel
1977 CJ5 

And here is my two babies sitting, waiting for me to return from my deployment in late March. Then when I get back I get to move all my Stuff from Phoenix to LasVegas to my next Assignment at Nellis AFB. Still lots of cool stuff in the Desert for me to climb....I CAN'T WAIT!

My 1957 Dodge Ram/ 1977 Jeep CJ5
Unread 04-30-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
Moparjoel
1977 CJ5 

Just got back a few weeks ago from over a year long Deployment. I got to give my 5 a little attention after getting stationed in LasVegas and dealing with moving everything. The Jeep had been sitting the whole year so I cleaned it up, bought a black bikini for her, painted the wheels black and threw around the idea of a black stripe for the hood with plastidip. Tell me what you guys think?

Unread 04-30-2014, 08:06 PM   #8
novotny242
1997 TJ Wrangler 

First, thank you for your service to our country. I'm a USMC veteran who knows what it's like to be deployed overseas while your Jeep sits at home. Great Fab work and your CJ looks sweet.
novotny242 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.