cityXJ Build - Concrete Jungle Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > cityXJ Build - Concrete Jungle Build

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
cityXJ

cityXJ Build - Concrete Jungle Build

Hey guys, new to the forum and semi-new to the jeep world. Just moved to NYC and decided to get a beater for my first winter. Just wanted something 4x4 with reliability (somewhat) and plenty of utility. I found this 96 XJ and ran with it.

First thing is first. 168k Miles. $1300. Someone with a hammer got happy on the sides of it. Dealer I bought it off of told me he would be changing out all of the fluids and doing a full tune up... Once I got it home it was obvious none of this was done. Also came with a bent driver door which I promptly gave the knee and pull treatment to straighten that up and seal the door. Truck came with power everything and luckily all of it works (besides the door switches for the interior light)! New(er) pioneer deck + amp / sub combo (already removed the sub and amp... not my cup of tea) and it came with the speaker bar that needs some TLC. No mechanical issues to speak of. The A/C isn't working but it has a bad valve on one of the compressor hoses so that will be changed shortly and fixed.

First drive home from Hicksville Long Island to Astoria Queens I started to have the all to common heat issues. Temp gauge touched red a few times, but i decided to get her home and take a look. She ended up having a leaky radiator cap and some of the dirtiest coolant my mechanic buddy and I had ever seen. Straight black. Luckily enough a buddy of mine works for Mercedes of Manhattan so I am lucky enough to be able to use his bay for work on the weekends and all of the crazy shop machines they have (their coolant change machine is great!). We pulled the old coolant like i said pitch black, and refilled with water and a flush, pulled that out, then went ahead with a 50/50 mix and a water pump seal conditioner. The "overheating" problem has stopped from what I have seen since completing this through various driving, from letting it sit for 20 minutes @ idle, too Manhattan during rush hour. Actually has a pretty tough time getting over 180 mark now that it is getting colder so I picked up a 195* thermostat in an effort to possibly help with mpg as well. I know these 4.0L's do enjoy the heat.

Went higher than this photo show's

(best invention ever for doing a flush)

We also ended up running basically the mercedes version of seafoam through the truck after I had swapped what looked like the original air filter with a MAD JDM PERFORMANCE YO specter panel filter.

Put in some new pensoil 10w-30 oil which will be replaced by mobil 1 synthetic before winter gets put into full gear (can get it cheap through my buddy... he's a god send for me for sure)

If you really want to even call this a build, my direction is to make a nice rig that is comfortable enough to ride in on longer trips up north during the winter and is easy enough for my girlfriend to drive as well. I think it handles the ridiculousness of NYC streets pretty well as is but I'm sure none of the planned modifications will hurt that.

This coming weekend it will be receiving:
E3 spark plugs gapped .035
Failsafe 195* T-stat w/ new gasket
New Brake Fluid (ITS PITCH BLACK WTF)
Royal Purple front diff fluid - The rear will be changed when i throw a diff in it.

All long/short Term goals:
Viper Alarm + Remote Start (the basic one)
New upper a/c compressor hose valve (leaks)
Change cabin filter
New shocks
Front Pads & Rotors
Power Trax rear diff
Adjust valve and throw in a new head gasket in the next 20,000 lol.
DynoMax cat-back (wouldn't really care to do this but I have a leaky muffler anyways)
LED headlights
Grey or black headliner (currently it is SHOT!)
LED interior lights + new door jam switches
1.5" / 1.75" Leveling
General Tire 30x9.5" AT's
Skid plate and block off a few grill vents
Trunk liner and custom Truck Cover (Was thinking about doing the cover with a KCCO flag
Dodge 703 Injectors or Ford 5.0L 4-port injectors
New passenger side mirror (hinge is broken)

I do have a question regarding the transmission and shocks. I have been told to leave it alone but the little kid in me says to change the fluid. On these AW4's if they are operating properly (even though I have no documentation as to when it was last serviced) should I change the filter and fluid?

RE: Shocks? What are some nice replacement shocks. Will I need anything than stock specs for the leveling kit im putting on the front at all?

Thanks for any input! I'll post pictures of the interior later today

City XJ

Last edited by cityXJ; 10-15-2013 at 09:35 AM..
cityXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.