Chester's TJ build - Page 15 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #211 of 925 Old 02-02-2013, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
yellow_snocone
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Holloman AFB
Posts: 1,465
4.88' s


Military Jeepers
S.W. New Mexico region

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
yellow_snocone is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #212 of 925 Old 02-02-2013, 03:24 PM
NYGLT56
Your Local Body Builder
 
NYGLT56's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rio Rancho
Posts: 1,927
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_snocone
4.88' s
Good choice haha

Instagramin --> @cornfedarmybro


2014 TJOTY Winner
NYGLT56 is online now  
post #213 of 925 Old 02-02-2013, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
yellow_snocone
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Holloman AFB
Posts: 1,465
Ya I might as well jump right to the proper gear instead of messing with 4.56' s

Military Jeepers
S.W. New Mexico region

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
yellow_snocone is offline  
post #214 of 925 Old 02-10-2013, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
yellow_snocone
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Holloman AFB
Posts: 1,465
So the regear has began but is far from done. We started with the front knowing it would be the most difficult. Everything got setup up without much trouble minus some issues with the crush sleeve. After some testing and refitting of the pinion shaft we got the right depth and had the front locked in. Now on to the rear which first started off with what we thought was to much pinion depth because we could not move the ring gear if we tried. So we adjusted the pinion shim to .00 form .30 to have a good starting point. The second try gave us great results but the pinion need to come in more so we moved up to .10 on the shim. On the third try we had a great wear pattern but ran into another issue. The ring gear binds at a certain spot. It may be that the ring gear is warped or the carrier . I'm going to repress the bearings on the carrier and maybe drop down the shim on the pinion to .08. I'm hoping the ring and carrier are fine but we'll see.





We had the pinion in to much.

Pretty good wear pattern

The 8.8


Military Jeepers
S.W. New Mexico region

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
yellow_snocone is offline  
post #215 of 925 Old 02-10-2013, 08:29 PM
NYGLT56
Your Local Body Builder
 
NYGLT56's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rio Rancho
Posts: 1,927
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_snocone
So the regear has began but is far from done. We started with the front knowing it would be the most difficult. Everything got setup up without much trouble minus some issues with the crush sleeve. After some testing and refitting of the pinion shaft we got the right depth and had the front locked in. Now on to the rear which first started off with what we thought was to much pinion depth because we could not move the ring gear if we tried. So we adjusted the pinion shim to .00 form .30 to have a good starting point. The second try gave us great results but the pinion need to come in more so we moved up to .10 on the shim. On the third try we had a great wear pattern but ran into another issue. The ring gear binds at a certain spot. It may be that the ring gear is warped or the carrier . I'm going to repress the bearings on the carrier and maybe drop down the shim on the pinion to .08. I'm hoping the ring and carrier are fine but we'll see.

We had the pinion in to much.

Pretty good wear pattern

The 8.8
Impressive. I would never touch gearing lol

Instagramin --> @cornfedarmybro


2014 TJOTY Winner
NYGLT56 is online now  
post #216 of 925 Old 02-10-2013, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
yellow_snocone
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Holloman AFB
Posts: 1,465
Neither would I without the help of my friend who is pretty good with gears. I'm learning alot so I can help the next person with their install if their feeling up to it

Military Jeepers
S.W. New Mexico region

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
yellow_snocone is offline  
post #217 of 925 Old 02-10-2013, 08:44 PM
NYGLT56
Your Local Body Builder
 
NYGLT56's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rio Rancho
Posts: 1,927
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_snocone
Neither would I without the help of my friend who is pretty good with gears. I'm learning alot so I can help the next person with their install if their feeling up to it
Ah that makes sense haha. I would never go at it alone lol

Instagramin --> @cornfedarmybro


2014 TJOTY Winner
NYGLT56 is online now  
post #218 of 925 Old 02-10-2013, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
yellow_snocone
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Holloman AFB
Posts: 1,465
After learning what I have its not that hard to be quite honest. I wouldn't recommend doing it the first time on your own, especially without the proper tools.

Military Jeepers
S.W. New Mexico region

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
yellow_snocone is offline  
post #219 of 925 Old 02-10-2013, 09:16 PM
NYGLT56
Your Local Body Builder
 
NYGLT56's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rio Rancho
Posts: 1,927
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_snocone
After learning what I have its not that hard to be quite honest. I wouldn't recommend doing it the first time on your own, especially without the proper tools.
Good to know. What's next??

Instagramin --> @cornfedarmybro


2014 TJOTY Winner
NYGLT56 is online now  
post #220 of 925 Old 02-10-2013, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
yellow_snocone
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Holloman AFB
Posts: 1,465
outboarding frt and rear shocks with my rear spring perch.

Military Jeepers
S.W. New Mexico region

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
yellow_snocone is offline  
post #221 of 925 Old 02-16-2013, 11:21 AM
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden
Posts: 5,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_snocone View Post
outboarding frt and rear shocks with my rear spring perch.
Its the weekend wheres the pictures ?

Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline  
post #222 of 925 Old 02-16-2013, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
yellow_snocone
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Holloman AFB
Posts: 1,465
Well thats not happening until the regear is done. Tomorrow I'm going to try to finish the rear. Today I'm buying a welder, its a hobart 187.

Military Jeepers
S.W. New Mexico region

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
yellow_snocone is offline  
post #223 of 925 Old 02-16-2013, 01:11 PM
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden
Posts: 5,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_snocone View Post
Well thats not happening until the regear is done. Tomorrow I'm going to try to finish the rear. Today I'm buying a welder, its a hobart 187.
Thats a nice welder , should serve you well . Whats left to finish the rear ?

Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline  
post #224 of 925 Old 02-16-2013, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
yellow_snocone
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Holloman AFB
Posts: 1,465
The ring gear is binding at a certain spot we're trying to figure out why, so I'm going to check my backlash and make sure the ring gear isn't warped. So tomorrow will involve so adjusting and hopefully the rear gearing should be done.

Military Jeepers
S.W. New Mexico region

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
yellow_snocone is offline  
post #225 of 925 Old 02-17-2013, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
yellow_snocone
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Holloman AFB
Posts: 1,465
ROUND TWO



We swapped the the ring gear 180 on the carrier and adjusted the shims on the carrier and success



Military Jeepers
S.W. New Mexico region

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
yellow_snocone is offline  
Reply

Tags
black tj , military jeep , work in progress

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Daddy's power wheel TJ build (Slow build) Ratm Jeep Builds 15 02-04-2014 09:59 PM
Jeep Build: Minty White Country XJ Build GTEIS300 Jeep Builds 34 01-20-2013 10:42 AM
2000 TJ Build - LCG First Time Build japete01 Jeep Builds 82 06-07-2012 09:50 PM
JeepWJ26 Build--Johnny Cash Build JeepWJ26 Jeep Builds 31 01-09-2012 11:15 AM
JeepDVL45's 'Bruiser' Build -- A Daily Driver's slow build JeepDVL45 Jeep Builds 41 08-11-2011 09:44 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome