Cheap Jeep CJ5 (re)build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Cheap Jeep CJ5 (re)build

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #1
uofajerm
1974 CJ5 

Cheap Jeep CJ5 (re)build

So my (re)build is just really getting started though the history of it began over 8 years ago. I started with a 74 CJ5 that I picked up for a couple of hundred of dollars back in spring of 2006 that ran and moved. Ran off to college and all I got done was a new clutch and ditching the rust bucket poorly bondo body. If I could go back and do it again, I'd keep that body and weld in the replacement panels that it needed (almost everywhere). It's been sitting untouched since then, and then I happened across a body just the other week. Few hundred more dollars and I've the major components needed for my project. I've been spending the last few days cleaning up some rust on the new body and priming it. There's a little bondo from a prior incident (not rust woohoo) that needs to be cleaned up and sanded back down. At this point, have primed and put first coat at least on the fenders. Soon will get the tub that fair. The original chassis and driveline will be mated to the body hopefully within the next month. Unfortunately, I am still a full time student so time and money are limited but 8 years of waiting to drive this thing is long enough. In the end, goal is to keep entire cost to under 1000 and that means I've about 400 to spend yet. As the weeks progress tune in to see if she'll live again or if I'll fail.

20140819_194007

20140819_193912

20140823_103647

20140821_180934

uofajerm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
uofajerm
1974 CJ5 

Well it's been a few weeks and progress has been made. Everything is now located with me here at school to work on in my free time so it'll come along over the next several weeks. While waiting to get frame and driveline, I painted on the tub, it's at least no longer yellow. Picked up the rest this weekend and cleaned up the frame a bit before giving it a couple coats of paint. Body was quickly mounted so I could transport it back. It's starting to come along. This in no way is a frame off-restoration so don't expect high quality work.

Unread 11-17-2014, 11:14 AM   #3
uofajerm
1974 CJ5 

I'm doing very bad about updating this. I left off talking about getting the parts into same place. Since then, I've went through the motor replacing and repairing what I had to. This list includes alternator, starter, fuel pump and tune-up. I've got a fuel cell sitting waiting to be mounted in the bed and fuel line on order. Wired up the ignition system only. Have the original harness in nearly uncut state, but under the dash I'm lost. Pedals and driver's seat installed, steering wheel in place. Windshield is mounted to support hood, hood to head hurts when you knock support rod free. At this point, got the motor running and idling good, still need to get exhaust on it as just have the manifolds. Once idling, I got bright idea to try and drive it around using plastic gas can for fuel tank. Well fuel wasn't issue, clutch was. Only had forward gears and only with transfer case in neutral. So Friday, pulled transmission to find that a rat had made a nest behind the clutch fork and in the pressure plate. New clutch set due in this week with plans to install over weekend. Hopefully, will get cell mounted and plumbed as well. If the clutch set fixes problem, I'll be driving it up and down the drive in coming weeks and then it's onward to getting it legal. Have an ever growing list of those aspects: lights, horn, wipers, seat belts, speedometer, mirrors, etc. Also have to address the questionable tires. Really want to keep the "mudders" on there but they're a solid 30 years old and back are dry rotted. Will hold air for about a week then leak out, front hold for about a month. But it's progressing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.