Charlottesville Jeep Build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Charlottesville Jeep Build

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 12-17-2009, 08:42 PM   #46
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Have you gotten it aligned yet? I would do that first.

What are you adding to your savvy knowledge? You have the gts on the ways, and you already have corners and rockers. Me confused now (I know it can't be the skid since I doubt you would have been first in line, sorry, just the truth)

JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 08:45 PM   #47
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'll give you a hint - it's not tail lights, not rockers, not corners, not skid (I wish!). Keep thinking!

And yes, I did the alignment last night. Too easy, I'd never pay to "get it aligned."

2005 TJ Sport, Light Khaki Metallic
RE 3.5" coils, OME shocks, Currie control arms, JKS track bars, JKS 1.25 BL, JKS 1 BMML, 35x12.5x15 Goodyear MT/Rs, American Racing ATX Chamber (Teflon), JB Conversions SS SYE, Tom Woods driveshaft, Savvy Gas Tank Skid, Warn 9.5ti, Viking synthetic winchline w/safety thimble, Metalcloak bumper, Metalcloak steering box skid, Savvy rear bumper, HP30 w/Aussie Locker, Barnett cover, XRF ball joints, Savvy tie rod flip, mini-skids, housing end JJ's, , Currie Steering, OME steering stabiliser, Metalcloak Tube Fenders/rear flares/rocker guards, ORO SwayLOC, Banks Stinger Exhaust, Cobra 75 WX ST with Wilson Silver Load, S-POD, Alpine/MOPAR RB1 Navigation Unit w/MOPAR iPod integration, Superlift Truspeed speedo correction, Lightforce 140 Lance driving lights, OTRATTW switch panel, Tinted UPOL Raptor Liner, Savvy Black Magic brakes, Centric rotors, Superior Evo rear shafts

In the garage: Viking Offroad 350 series Hawse fairlead, ARB compressor, Savvy corner guards, Novak 231 cable shifter, EBC green stuff/Centric rotors (rear), Savvy tub rails, Savvy taillights
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 09:48 PM   #48
Douglas S.

Bumper?
Unread 12-17-2009, 10:01 PM   #49
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas S. View Post
Bumper?

Bingo!

I was also curious what the whole Metalcloak bumper was about, so I have one of those on the way as well... I'll end up testing both and posting my opinion of them.

RE 3.5" coils, OME shocks, Currie control arms, JKS track bars, JKS 1.25 BL, JKS 1 BMML, 35x12.5x15 Goodyear MT/Rs, American Racing ATX Chamber (Teflon), JB Conversions SS SYE, Tom Woods driveshaft, Savvy Gas Tank Skid, Warn 9.5ti, Viking synthetic winchline w/safety thimble, Metalcloak bumper, Metalcloak steering box skid, Savvy rear bumper, HP30 w/Aussie Locker, Barnett cover, XRF ball joints, Savvy tie rod flip, mini-skids, housing end JJ's, , Currie Steering, OME steering stabiliser, Metalcloak Tube Fenders/rear flares/rocker guards, ORO SwayLOC, Banks Stinger Exhaust, Cobra 75 WX ST with Wilson Silver Load, S-POD, Alpine/MOPAR RB1 Navigation Unit w/MOPAR iPod integration, Superlift Truspeed speedo correction, Lightforce 140 Lance driving lights, OTRATTW switch panel, Tinted UPOL Raptor Liner, Savvy Black Magic brakes, Centric rotors, Superior Evo rear shafts

In the garage: Viking Offroad 350 series Hawse fairlead, ARB compressor, Savvy corner guards, Novak 231 cable shifter, EBC green stuff/Centric rotors (rear), Savvy tub rails, Savvy taillights
Unread 12-18-2009, 07:35 AM   #50
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Disaster strikes... when you don't pay attention

Since I had finally gotten the Jeep finished enough to drive, I decided to drive it to work today. All morning I kept worrying, thinking I had forgotten something, like torquing a bolt or something. I ran through everything in my head, and decided I must be imagining things; it's been so long since I drove it, and I've changed out so much, I was just nervous. I really should remember to listen to those gut feelings........

Drove the two miles to work. It felt fine, maybe a little squirrelly. I kept the radio off so I could hear anything going wrong, and was paranoid the whole way. Was about to take the turn to work, when all of a sudden the Jeep lurches, and drops a little bit. I slam on the brakes, and get out.

Evidently, my mental search of bolts to torque didnt include lug nuts. Thankfully the wheel didn't come all the way off the axle; the lugs came out of the holes, but the axle dropped onto the rim and stayed there (scraping the **** out of my aluminum wheels, but whatever). Needless to say, I was late for work. Thank God my boss watched it happen through the window!

Of all the stupid things to happen, after I just went through all that work... : Thankfully nothing's damaged except the wheel; I'll go get it rebalanced and everything should be fine. I got lucky!

Unread 12-18-2009, 07:09 PM   #51
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You may need to buy a new wheel. At least nothing was damaged (other than the wheel), and nobody was hurt.
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 12-18-2009, 08:40 PM   #52
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Here you can see some of the damage to the wheel... Nothing major, just scraped all the way around, almost. There are a few chunks taken out of the inner bead of the tire, which is the only part that concerns me. I'm taking it to a tire shop whenever this snow clears to get it rebalanced, and I'll have them look at it to make sure it's ok. Evidently my brake caliper must have been hit, because it sounds like my driver's side brake is dragging... Hopefully that won't be too much hassle to fix!

That stock bottle jack earned a permanent spot in my Jeep today!

Unread 12-18-2009, 08:59 PM   #53
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That doesn't look all that bad. They may be able to salvage it, but I guess this just means it is time to jump to 35"s . The brakes hopefully shouldn't be that bad, I would say pull the caliper to check to see if the pads are messed up. If I am looking right, the rotor looks like it has a chip from this "accident". My dad said it shuldn't be a problem, especially if it is still holding air. I hoppe you can get it balanced. He thinks theymay have to use lead tape on the back side of the rim to help balance it.

That stock bottle jack is pretty nice. I find it much better than those crappy scissor jacks. I wouldn't use anything but a floor jack, but that is the best option to save space. I used it to change to my spare once.

Oh yeah... I forgot to say, you need to update your sig. You give no idication that you have a second savvy masterpiece on order.
Unread 12-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #54
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I was keeping it a secret, which was why I hadn't updated my sig... But since I blabbed here, I might as well!

35's will come, I really want to regear first though... I figure I should have ordered them by the end of March, if not before. The chip in the rotor must just be the picture; I inspected it before I put the wheel on, and didn't notice any damage to it... If any brake components need to be replaced, that will be a good sign to go with the Vanco kit sooner than planned. I really hope not though, because that money would be far better spend on other things at the moment.

Of course, it had to start snowing tonight... There's about a foot and a half on the ground now, and it's still coming down hard; it's supposed to snow all day tomorrow too, for another 8 inches or so! Makes working on the Jeep really difficult... :

Unread 12-18-2009, 09:28 PM   #55
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrophobe View Post
I was keeping it a secret, which was why I hadn't updated my sig... But since I blabbed here, I might as well!

35's will come, I really want to regear first though... I figure I should have ordered them by the end of March, if not before. The chip in the rotor must just be the picture; I inspected it before I put the wheel on, and didn't notice any damage to it... If any brake components need to be replaced, that will be a good sign to go with the Vanco kit sooner than planned. I really hope not though, because that money would be far better spend on other things at the moment.

Of course, it had to start snowing tonight... There's about a foot and a half on the ground now, and it's still coming down hard; it's supposed to snow all day tomorrow too, for another 8 inches or so! Makes working on the Jeep really difficult... :
Vanco kit wouldn't be a bad thing. I hear you on better things to spend on, but if you are serious about the 35"s they will be pretty much a must. The cip looked more like a rub off of the rust. That wouldn't be a problem.

I hate you... I wish we had that much snow. My mom said we were getting 12"-18" tomorrow night and I got so excited. I can see from your standpoint why it sucks. Working in the cold isn't fun.
Unread 12-19-2009, 12:52 AM   #56
oderalxjlaredo
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Saw your jeep at Barrack's about a month ago and admired it for a few minutes then - I love the wheels the most!

-- another cvillian
oderalxjlaredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 06:18 AM   #57
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckrider View Post
I hate you... I wish we had that much snow. My mom said we were getting 12"-18" tomorrow night and I got so excited. I can see from your standpoint why it sucks. Working in the cold isn't fun.
HAHA working in the cold isn't really the problem! The problem is getting to the Jeep!

It's under there somewhere...

Unread 12-19-2009, 06:33 AM   #58
lilbluetj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

ii love the jeep i crawled keep up with the pics i only hope some one hits my jeep. and im glad i read this i must live in a hole but i love those metal clock fenders i really will get those. answer me this if you could please side markers? turning signals? for the front i diddnt see any? reason i ask is i do the firefighter scene and i gotta be able to be flashing and visible.
also seeking a soundbar and gps.
lilbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 06:50 AM   #59
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

As far as the turn signals go you can drill 3" holes in the grille and mount JK turn signals. You can see them in some of the pictures I posted. I chose not to mount side markers, but I found some nice ones at walmart, which would mount nicely.

edit: Metalcloak also makes some nice turn signals that fit into a bracket on the fenders, if you want to go that route. They hadn't been released yet when I bought my fenders; but I like the JK signals better anyway.

Last edited by dendrophobe; 12-19-2009 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: Walmart, not tractor supply
Unread 12-19-2009, 07:15 AM   #60
flopp
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i want that snow we got all of 1" today
flopp is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.