Charlottesville Jeep Build - Page 33 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Charlottesville Jeep Build

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #481
mallard15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrophobe View Post
Thanks! That's pretty high praise around here!

My axle shafts came today, and I decided that I have more money than time, so I'm getting the shop to install them. As much as it irks me not to do the work myself, I need my Jeep back; I wouldn't have time to install them myself for at least a week or two. Hopefully they'll get it done tomorrow, and I can stop riding my motorcycle to work in the cold!
Well I have read Imped build, spyder6's, pumpkinators, and hendrix's but those are a little bit out of my league haha. I love how you are one of the only people on here that have metalcloaks. They are such a unique fender. I found a heck of a deal on a set. Can't wait to get them. Good luck on any future mods.

Yukon 4.10 R&P Gears Set (300$) PM me
mallard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2010, 10:25 PM   #482
NoVaHunter
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallard15 View Post
Well I have read Imped build, spyder6's, pumpkinators, and hendrix's but those are a little bit out of my league haha. I love how you are one of the only people on here that have metalcloaks. They are such a unique fender. I found a heck of a deal on a set. Can't wait to get them. Good luck on any future mods.
Theres alot of people on here with metalcloaks...
Unread 12-18-2010, 10:28 PM   #483
mallard15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaHunter View Post
Theres alot of people on here with metalcloaks...
I'm sure there is but I have only been on here for like 2 months. Those are the only builds I have read IN-DEPTH but I plan on reading a lot more. Sorry if I offended anyone

Yukon 4.10 R&P Gears Set (300$) PM me
mallard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 06:47 AM   #484
WagoneerCraig
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Welcome to C-Ville . Nice build , I'll give a wave .
WagoneerCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 10:01 AM   #485
keithkeith
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrophobe View Post
Haha no, that's the light. It is a bit discolored from heat and whatnot, but certainly not gold! How are things up North?
It's mighty cold up here. Snowing a lot. Lots of fun though... got about 18 inches last week, and I spent a good chunk of saturday and sunday driving around, towing people out, and enjoying driving through 3 foot drifts Highlight of the day was saving a plow that slid down a bank. The salt is going to reap havoc on the jeep... can already see a project in the warmer months where I rip off bumpers, fenders, rockers etc., sand it down, and put on a few new layers of protection. Gonna have to touch up the frame too. For now, it's going to be frequent carwashes. Combo of my tired and the metalcloaks means Im spinning up crud like none other.

BUT... one the awesome flipside... NO INSPECTIONS NEEDED in MN!
Current Setup: 2003 Silver TJ Sport, 5.5” Clayton LA, MetalCloak Bumper & Tubes, 1” BL, 35” Nitto Mudgrapplers, 17” Silver AEV Pintlers, Superwinch EPi9.0 w/ in-cab control, Teraflex SS SYE & Tom Woods d/s, 4.56’s, OX (r), Herc’d Tub, Clayton Engine & Tranny skids, Chromoly Shafts F&R, Currie HD, Warn Steering Skid, RE Hand Throttle, JKS Motor Mounts, Custom box, CO2, K&N FIPK, Raingler Netting (so the dog doesn’t fly), PIAA 520s Driving & Fog, BDS Rockers, Cobra 75 WX ST, Alpine IVA300 w/GPS & a bunch of other goodies...
keithkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2010, 07:02 AM   #486
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Finally got my Jeep back from the shop last night. It now has the HP30 I built up (XRF ball joints, Currie HD CA mounts, housing end Johnny Joints, Savvy tie rod flip) as well as a set of Superior 4.88 gears. Evidently combined with my lift and the high-pinion axle design, I need a new front driveshaft before I do any heavy offroading; oh well, I'll call Tom Woods when I get some cash.

Everything on the Jeep feels great now. The steering wobble I had above 50mph is gone; I chalk it up to ball joints. As for the gears, it feels so nice to have power back, I had forgotten what it was like!

The guy at the shop (Steve, at Jeeps Xtreme in Fredericksburg - highly recommended, btw) also discovered why my oil seal had been leaking. The idiots at the Jeep dealership had installed the axles on the wrong sides of the Jeep! There's about a 1/2" difference between the right and left side axles, and when they switched them, the driver side was binding, and rubbed on the bearing. That ruined the bearing and the oil seal. Thankfully, he put them the way they should be, and everything's great now. It's going to be fun trying to get money back from the dealership. I'll be damned if I'm going to let them keep the money I paid them to do it wrong.

God, it feels good having my Jeep back!

2005 TJ Sport, Light Khaki Metallic
RE 3.5" coils, OME shocks, Currie control arms, JKS track bars, JKS 1.25” BL, JKS 1” BMML, 35x12.5x15 Goodyear MT/Rs, American Racing ATX Chamber (Teflon), JB Conversions SS SYE, Tom Woods driveshaft, Savvy Gas Tank Skid, Warn 9.5ti, Viking synthetic winchline w/safety thimble, Metalcloak bumper, Metalcloak steering box skid, Savvy rear bumper, HP30 w/Aussie Locker, Barnett cover, XRF ball joints, Savvy tie rod flip, mini-skids, housing end JJ's, , Currie Steering, OME steering stabiliser, Metalcloak Tube Fenders/rear flares/rocker guards, ORO SwayLOC, Banks Stinger Exhaust, Cobra 75 WX ST with Wilson Silver Load, S-POD, Alpine/MOPAR RB1 Navigation Unit w/MOPAR iPod integration, Superlift Truspeed speedo correction, Lightforce 140 Lance driving lights, OTRATTW switch panel, Tinted UPOL Raptor Liner, Savvy Black Magic brakes, Centric rotors, Superior Evo rear shafts

In the garage: Viking Offroad 350 series Hawse fairlead, ARB compressor, Savvy corner guards, Novak 231 cable shifter, EBC green stuff/Centric rotors (rear), Savvy tub rails, Savvy taillights
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2010, 08:07 AM   #487
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Christmas present to myself: Savvy tub rails
Bought with money received for Christmas: Savvy taillights

Now all I need to do is get my Metalcloak fender kit welded to the Savvy corner guards, and my rear end will be transformed!

RE 3.5" coils, OME shocks, Currie control arms, JKS track bars, JKS 1.25” BL, JKS 1” BMML, 35x12.5x15 Goodyear MT/Rs, American Racing ATX Chamber (Teflon), JB Conversions SS SYE, Tom Woods driveshaft, Savvy Gas Tank Skid, Warn 9.5ti, Viking synthetic winchline w/safety thimble, Metalcloak bumper, Metalcloak steering box skid, Savvy rear bumper, HP30 w/Aussie Locker, Barnett cover, XRF ball joints, Savvy tie rod flip, mini-skids, housing end JJ's, , Currie Steering, OME steering stabiliser, Metalcloak Tube Fenders/rear flares/rocker guards, ORO SwayLOC, Banks Stinger Exhaust, Cobra 75 WX ST with Wilson Silver Load, S-POD, Alpine/MOPAR RB1 Navigation Unit w/MOPAR iPod integration, Superlift Truspeed speedo correction, Lightforce 140 Lance driving lights, OTRATTW switch panel, Tinted UPOL Raptor Liner, Savvy Black Magic brakes, Centric rotors, Superior Evo rear shafts

In the garage: Viking Offroad 350 series Hawse fairlead, ARB compressor, Savvy corner guards, Novak 231 cable shifter, EBC green stuff/Centric rotors (rear), Savvy tub rails, Savvy taillights
Unread 12-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #488
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Went out and got some pictures of the new front end. You can see the brackets for Blaine's tie rod flip; it's a pretty impressive setup.

Unread 12-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #489
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

hey man like the jeep! Looks pretty sick! I read you came to my area to pick up a hp 30 im assuming chersterfield auto? Anyway after i get my rubi and sell my jeep i have now we should hit up shoe creek or crozet when the spring rolls around. let me know man would love to see this stuff in person!
JJeeper09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2010, 08:24 PM   #490
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Got a nice package today. It was especially nice considering that the tracking information said it wouldn't arrive until the 3rd!

Nice looking mounting system; only one exposed hole!

I can't wait to paint these up and get them (and the corner guards and taillights) installed. Just waiting on the taillights, but I can paint these and the corner guards sometime in the next week or so. I did discover that the tub rails are not compatible with my rear flares from Metalcloak. At least, not yet. I'm going to have to drop them down a bit, they're about .25" too high. The problem is that the present mounting system won't work with the corner guards, so it looks like I'll probably have to run without flares until I can replace the Metalcloak rockers with some from Savvy. If I'm looking at everything right, I should be able to put the flare mounting parts on at that point, and I'll get my flares back. Oh darn; you can never get too Savvy, I suppose.

Unread 01-30-2011, 06:31 PM   #491
NoVaHunter
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Get those rails mounted Doug?
Unread 01-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #492
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sadly not yet. I have the corner guards, rails and taillights waiting for a time when it's warm enough to paint. Spraypaint really doesn't adhere very well in such cold conditions... I'm getting pretty impatient though, I can tell you! Hopefully within the next few weeks or so I'll be able to paint them, and then they'll go on.

Edit: I'm starting to repeat myself. That's a sure sign of too much wine tonight.

Unread 01-30-2011, 07:50 PM   #493
NoVaHunter
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I know how ya feel, I have a few little things I want to do but it is too cold to be outside to deal with them.

Tomorrow I'm going to sand blast the bumper I got from you and all the pieces for it, change out all the bolts to hex heads and get some new nylon lock nuts for it, and then re paint it. And I ordered some lightforces for it. Hellas aren't cutting it anymore.
Unread 01-30-2011, 09:29 PM   #494
dwlmytj2000
2000 TJ Wrangler 

cant beat those metal cloke fenders!!! more i see em more i like em
dwlmytj2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 04:58 AM   #495
crouch_104
1989 XJ Cherokee 

i jus read ur whole thread man jeep has come along way deff will be watching looks good man
crouch_104 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.