Charlottesville Jeep Build - Page 31 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Charlottesville Jeep Build

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings BlastIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #451
Ethan79
2000 TJ Wrangler 

yessss if either one of yall would like to sell one then im all over it. im rather close too what brand is the bumper? but thanks man keep me posted id also like to see your jeep, what kind of issues is it having?

Ethan79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2010, 01:27 PM   #452
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan79 View Post
yessss if either one of yall would like to sell one then im all over it. im rather close too what brand is the bumper? but thanks man keep me posted id also like to see your jeep, what kind of issues is it having?
Mine's a Rock Hard 4x4, Jake's is BodyArmor.

I'm pretty sure that there's actually more than one issue, and they're just building on each other to make it look like something else. Pretty sure it's a combination of bad ball joints (and possibly hubs and/or u-joints) and jacked up T/C linkage. Good thing is that I already have a Novak cable shifter on the way, and I'm going to get XRF ball joints soon. I just don't have enough money to fix and hope that I was right... So I'm getting the shop to give me a second opinion, so I'll know for sure I'm solving my problem.

2005 TJ Sport, Light Khaki Metallic
RE 3.5" coils, OME shocks, Currie control arms, JKS track bars, JKS 1.25” BL, JKS 1” BMML, 35x12.5x15 Goodyear MT/Rs, American Racing ATX Chamber (Teflon), JB Conversions SS SYE, Tom Woods driveshaft, Savvy Gas Tank Skid, Warn 9.5ti, Viking synthetic winchline w/safety thimble, Metalcloak bumper, Metalcloak steering box skid, Savvy rear bumper, HP30 w/Aussie Locker, Barnett cover, XRF ball joints, Savvy tie rod flip, mini-skids, housing end JJ's, , Currie Steering, OME steering stabiliser, Metalcloak Tube Fenders/rear flares/rocker guards, ORO SwayLOC, Banks Stinger Exhaust, Cobra 75 WX ST with Wilson Silver Load, S-POD, Alpine/MOPAR RB1 Navigation Unit w/MOPAR iPod integration, Superlift Truspeed speedo correction, Lightforce 140 Lance driving lights, OTRATTW switch panel, Tinted UPOL Raptor Liner, Savvy Black Magic brakes, Centric rotors, Superior Evo rear shafts

In the garage: Viking Offroad 350 series Hawse fairlead, ARB compressor, Savvy corner guards, Novak 231 cable shifter, EBC green stuff/Centric rotors (rear), Savvy tub rails, Savvy taillights
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #453
Ethan79
2000 TJ Wrangler 

yeah i hear you on the second opinion, who knows it could save you alot of time and money just to get another set of eyes to check it out. and man my t/c linkage is all jacked up too. It wouldnt go into low this weekend but luckily i didnt end up needing it
Ethan79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2010, 12:52 PM   #454
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So... Anybody remember when this happened?

Evidently my psycho ex's legacy lives on.

I just got a call from the Jeep dealer telling me that both of my rear axles are bent. Wait, what? That wouldn't cause a front-end shimmy, or the noise that I'm hearing. Did I run into anything? No, never! Evidently they're bent at the flange, from what looks like a "side impact." Oh. Now that rings a bell. Stupid *****.

They want $1800 to fix it. Surprisingly, only $300 of that is labor. Of course, they're quoting me $550 per shaft, plus new bearings ($170) and seals ($41). My response is that I can get a SET of Superior chromoly shafts for $400, including new bearings and seals. WTF is wrong with those prices?

On my way over to look at it now. If I'm feeling lazy, I'll supply the parts and have them do the install. If I'm feeling more broke than lazy, I'll do it all myself. And then we can try to diagnose the front end issues. I really hate my ex.

RE 3.5" coils, OME shocks, Currie control arms, JKS track bars, JKS 1.25” BL, JKS 1” BMML, 35x12.5x15 Goodyear MT/Rs, American Racing ATX Chamber (Teflon), JB Conversions SS SYE, Tom Woods driveshaft, Savvy Gas Tank Skid, Warn 9.5ti, Viking synthetic winchline w/safety thimble, Metalcloak bumper, Metalcloak steering box skid, Savvy rear bumper, HP30 w/Aussie Locker, Barnett cover, XRF ball joints, Savvy tie rod flip, mini-skids, housing end JJ's, , Currie Steering, OME steering stabiliser, Metalcloak Tube Fenders/rear flares/rocker guards, ORO SwayLOC, Banks Stinger Exhaust, Cobra 75 WX ST with Wilson Silver Load, S-POD, Alpine/MOPAR RB1 Navigation Unit w/MOPAR iPod integration, Superlift Truspeed speedo correction, Lightforce 140 Lance driving lights, OTRATTW switch panel, Tinted UPOL Raptor Liner, Savvy Black Magic brakes, Centric rotors, Superior Evo rear shafts

In the garage: Viking Offroad 350 series Hawse fairlead, ARB compressor, Savvy corner guards, Novak 231 cable shifter, EBC green stuff/Centric rotors (rear), Savvy tub rails, Savvy taillights
Unread 11-10-2010, 01:40 PM   #455
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Or... you can call up your ex's ins. company and tell them that more damage was found to the Jeep when it was being pulled apart for upgrades. It turns out that she destroyed the axle and you now need a new axle. Quote them dealership price and negotiate. That will get you that hp 30 faster.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #456
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

About that, yeah... It wasn't so much insurance as it was her granddad (who owns an insurance company) writing me a check. So I really doubt that he'll help at all, especially since from what I hear via facebook he effectively disowned her after I left...

Unread 11-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #457
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wow... that is pretty funny, but sucks for you. Build it yourself or spend the money on a JK 44
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #458
DRogalOlBlue13
2002 WJ 

Good looking build. How do you like the goodyears?
Unread 11-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #459
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRogalOlBlue13 View Post
Good looking build. How do you like the goodyears?
Thanks! I love them so far. Very low noise on the street, hardly more than my all-terrains were. Haven't had the opportunity to test them offroad yet, but from what everybody else has said, I'm sure I'll be pleased.

Got in contact with Gerald over at Savvy tonight about ordering some Superior shafts for the the rear. Hopefully that'll all be finalized tomorrow, and I can get this thing drivable again soon. Due to the wobble, my rear brake pads are toast, so I'm going to go ahead and order EBC green stuff pads and Centric rotors while I'm at it.

In other news, I finally got the hubs and knuckles off the HP30, so now I just need to go rent a ball joint press and then get to grinding!

Unread 11-11-2010, 07:58 AM   #460
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

How did you not know your back axles was bent. That was before the metalcloaks right?
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2010, 08:37 AM   #461
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, it was. They weren't bent the whole time, just weakened. Then over time, the stress of normal driving made them bend at the flange. Even now, you can't tell until you get the jeep up in the air and start spinning the wheels. Then there's a pronounced wobble on each side. Besides, I noticed the noise and vibration as soon as it started, it it just wasn't clear what was causing it, since the noise sounded like it was coming from the transmission.

Unread 11-13-2010, 10:50 AM   #462
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Made a few purchases today.... Axle end Johnny Joints and HD LCA mounts for my D30, Grainger collars to make a high-lift mount, and a receiver recovery point from Viking Offroad... Also got a kit to use my Metalcloak rear flares with my Savvy corner guards, and some relays and fuse panel to start a power distribution center for some of my switches... I have way too many projects going at one time...

Unread 11-13-2010, 07:37 PM   #463
NoVaHunter
2006 TJ Wrangler 

More stuff for your switches? Come one Doug how much more do you need!?
Unread 11-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #464
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaHunter View Post
More stuff for your switches? Come one Doug how much more do you need!?
Never fully wired the OTRATTW switch panel. I'm finally getting around to it, and I'm basically going to make my own Source like the S-POD has. The only thing that currently works in that panel is the USB plug; I really need to change that!

Unread 11-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #465
NoVaHunter
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ohhh, well NOW that makes sense. I was just thinking to myself like what the hell is he getting that he needs so many switches for!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.