Charlottesville Jeep Build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Charlottesville Jeep Build

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-09-2009, 09:00 AM   #31
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, Keith. Yeah this weekend would be great, when I found out it was member's weekend I got kinda mad that I had to go out of town... As far as wrench turning, I'm pretty set for the moment; seems you missed the hard part! I only have about 3 hours to work on the Jeep after I get home at night, so everything's taking a bit longer than I had hoped... But as soon as I get my upper control arm mounts drilled out the rest of the install should be cake... Just have to do both track bars, and all the upper arms, then reinstall both driveshafts...

When are you planning on sending MC your order? You'll be shocked how much clearance those fenders give you... Now that I've got the lift on, I'm hating my 33's more than ever; if my axles could handle it, 37's would fill that hole nicely. With the lift on your rig it'll be crazy!

2005 TJ Sport, Light Khaki Metallic
RE 3.5" coils, OME shocks, Currie control arms, JKS track bars, JKS 1.25 BL, JKS 1 BMML, 35x12.5x15 Goodyear MT/Rs, American Racing ATX Chamber (Teflon), JB Conversions SS SYE, Tom Woods driveshaft, Savvy Gas Tank Skid, Warn 9.5ti, Viking synthetic winchline w/safety thimble, Metalcloak bumper, Metalcloak steering box skid, Savvy rear bumper, HP30 w/Aussie Locker, Barnett cover, XRF ball joints, Savvy tie rod flip, mini-skids, housing end JJ's, , Currie Steering, OME steering stabiliser, Metalcloak Tube Fenders/rear flares/rocker guards, ORO SwayLOC, Banks Stinger Exhaust, Cobra 75 WX ST with Wilson Silver Load, S-POD, Alpine/MOPAR RB1 Navigation Unit w/MOPAR iPod integration, Superlift Truspeed speedo correction, Lightforce 140 Lance driving lights, OTRATTW switch panel, Tinted UPOL Raptor Liner, Savvy Black Magic brakes, Centric rotors, Superior Evo rear shafts

In the garage: Viking Offroad 350 series Hawse fairlead, ARB compressor, Savvy corner guards, Novak 231 cable shifter, EBC green stuff/Centric rotors (rear), Savvy tub rails, Savvy taillights
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #32
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

OK, got the rear upper and lower control arms done tonight, as well as reinstalling both driveshafts... Which just leaves the track bars and front upper control arms! Slowly, ever so slowly, this thing is becoming drivable again...

RE 3.5" coils, OME shocks, Currie control arms, JKS track bars, JKS 1.25 BL, JKS 1 BMML, 35x12.5x15 Goodyear MT/Rs, American Racing ATX Chamber (Teflon), JB Conversions SS SYE, Tom Woods driveshaft, Savvy Gas Tank Skid, Warn 9.5ti, Viking synthetic winchline w/safety thimble, Metalcloak bumper, Metalcloak steering box skid, Savvy rear bumper, HP30 w/Aussie Locker, Barnett cover, XRF ball joints, Savvy tie rod flip, mini-skids, housing end JJ's, , Currie Steering, OME steering stabiliser, Metalcloak Tube Fenders/rear flares/rocker guards, ORO SwayLOC, Banks Stinger Exhaust, Cobra 75 WX ST with Wilson Silver Load, S-POD, Alpine/MOPAR RB1 Navigation Unit w/MOPAR iPod integration, Superlift Truspeed speedo correction, Lightforce 140 Lance driving lights, OTRATTW switch panel, Tinted UPOL Raptor Liner, Savvy Black Magic brakes, Centric rotors, Superior Evo rear shafts

In the garage: Viking Offroad 350 series Hawse fairlead, ARB compressor, Savvy corner guards, Novak 231 cable shifter, EBC green stuff/Centric rotors (rear), Savvy tub rails, Savvy taillights
Unread 12-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #33
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Get pics when it is all done... Time to find a new axle for that front so you can run those 37"s. I would say get the parts over time, and wait till it is time to trash the 33"s before regearing.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 04:44 AM   #34
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

See, the problem there is extreme amounts of money... It'll be at least a year or two before I have enough money to replace the front axle; even a JK Rubicon axle is crazy expensive. There are too many other things I could do to my Jeep in the time being to make it better on the trail; gears and 35's being among them. The vast majority of obstacles can be cleared with 35's, lockers, and good driving. As much as I want the 37's, the practical side of me knows that I really don't need them, and I'd be making myself less trail-worthy by waiting so long to get money for a mod I really don't need. That will come, but pretty much after everything else I want to do...

Unless anyone knows where to pick up a JK 44 or Dana 60 for cheap?

Unread 12-10-2009, 10:47 AM   #35
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrophobe View Post
See, the problem there is extreme amounts of money... It'll be at least a year or two before I have enough money to replace the front axle; even a JK Rubicon axle is crazy expensive. There are too many other things I could do to my Jeep in the time being to make it better on the trail; gears and 35's being among them. The vast majority of obstacles can be cleared with 35's, lockers, and good driving. As much as I want the 37's, the practical side of me knows that I really don't need them, and I'd be making myself less trail-worthy by waiting so long to get money for a mod I really don't need. That will come, but pretty much after everything else I want to do...

Unless anyone knows where to pick up a JK 44 or Dana 60 for cheap?
ahh.... so you see the real reasons why 37"s are stupid compared to 35"s. Nice. I know of a front d60 with 4.10 and drums. It can be yours for a low price, but it would need to be rebuilt. There is a ford here in the classified section with great axles for $400. You would need to rebuild axles before throwing them in there.

I say stick with the 35"s idea, and just make sure you get things tucked up (like you already plan).
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 12-10-2009, 02:18 PM   #36
Emdot
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Great build! Man I love Khaki jeeps
Unread 12-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #37
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckrider View Post
ahh.... so you see the real reasons why 37"s are stupid compared to 35"s. Nice. I know of a front d60 with 4.10 and drums. It can be yours for a low price, but it would need to be rebuilt. There is a ford here in the classified section with great axles for $400. You would need to rebuild axles before throwing them in there.

I say stick with the 35"s idea, and just make sure you get things tucked up (like you already plan).
Definitely. As I've seen Blaine say before, if you spend the money to do 37's right, you're spending the money to get 40's. And I'm not about to do something unless I do it right. Ultimately I'm shooting for something ridiculously expensive and awesome like Dynatrac hi-clearance 60's... But at $5500 for just the front, that won't be anytime soon!

Measured my belly height today, with the stock skid... sitting at 16.5... Which means that a flat skid (read - Savvy) would put me up to 20.5, which is pretty respectable. I hope they come out with that TT sometime in Q1 of 2010, cause I'm feeling very ... exposed ... having the stock skid and no engine skid. If Savvy weren't coming out with theirs I would have dropped the money on a Rokmen skid a while ago.

Unread 12-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #38
03Jeeper
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep looks awesome. Really liking the metalcloak fenders, did you get the 4" or 6"?
Looking forward to your build.
crawled.
Sienna Pearl Coat Club Member #24
/l ,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)-o-)_)

My totaled TJ rebuild
03Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 07:54 PM   #39
mudwhoreTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hey dendrophobe did you make it to the phish show at JPJ arena this past saturday...off topic but just curious.
mudwhoreTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 08:01 PM   #40
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Jeeper View Post
Jeep looks awesome. Really liking the metalcloak fenders, did you get the 4" or 6"?
Looking forward to your build.
crawled.
Thanks, they're the 4". 6" just seemed goofy to me, even if I could take them off on the trail. With the 4" I find I don't usually need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudwhoreTJ View Post
Hey dendrophobe did you make it to the phish show at JPJ arena this past saturday...off topic but just curious.
No I didn't; last show I went to at JPJ was Jimmy Buffett. That was a great show... Didn't even know Phish was playing! I was under my Jeep all weekend anyway though. You a Cville Jeeper?

Unread 12-10-2009, 08:07 PM   #41
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So I spent more money on the Jeep today...

Realized I hadn't thought ahead and figured out what I was going to do for my speedometer after installing the JBC kit. I thought about taking it to the dealer for them to flash my computer, but a few things held me back:

1. I don't trust the Jeep dealer in Charlottesville. They're a bunch of thieves and hacks. Seriously, don't go anywhere near there. They messed something up on my Jeep and I haven't even gone back to pick up the new PARTS because I hate them so much.

2. With the regear coming in the next two months or so, and the new tires right after, I'd have to fix it two more times... might as well spend the money once and be done with it.

I was going to get the Dakota Digital kit. $80 sounded like a decent plan to fix the speedo. But then I got an email back from John at JBC, who said that the Superlift kit, while more expensive ($215), might be a bit better. So after much deliberation, I was convinced that I've spent enough money already, so....

Why not spend a little more?

Ordered the Superlift kit, should be here monday or tuesday.

Unread 12-10-2009, 08:12 PM   #42
Jeeper75
1975 CJ5 

Great build! good job
Jeeper75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 08:19 PM   #43
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Let us know how the digital kit works out. I hate dealerships just because most of them prey on innocent but ignorant people. We have a decent Jeep dealership about 10 minutes from my house, and they are good. I would actually take it the 45 minute drive to go to the place where we bought my mom's van and my sisters car, but they only do chrysler, ponitac, buick, gmc, and dodge. I don't think they do Jeep.

Are you having fun spending money? I think you are just finally glad you areing being hunkered down by the ex... Just find a play friend, not a wife. I hear that is almost always a terrible mod (not always thought).
Unread 12-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #44
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Haha yeah, the money's going out as fast as it's coming in... Still have some left for a bit more Savviness to come in the next few weeks though. It's nice not having anybody ***** at me when I spend money on the Jeep. For the moment, as long as I can pay bills, the rest I get to play with!

That's the rough thing about dealerships... When I was in college there was a great dealership, and all the guys who worked there were true Jeep guys... I'd drive the 2.5 hours back there if they hadn't bought it in that whole financial struggle last year...

Unread 12-17-2009, 08:34 PM   #45
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well, finally got everything done... Almost. (still have to recalibrate my speedo, torque a bolt here and there, but... that hardly counts)

Maybe it's just me being OCD about getting everything right, but... While taking measurements to install my JKS rear track bar, I saw that my measurement on the passenger side was 1/2" more than the driver's side. So the axle is shifted 1/4" to the passenger side. I tried using ratchet straps to correct this, and no matter how hard I crank on the strap, it just. does. not. move.

For the moment, I've just installed the track bar with the axle off center. Does it matter? I'm sure it was probably off that much or more ever since I did the budget boost, so I'm guessing it's not a big deal. I just like to get things right.

I'll try to get pictures of everything tomorrow. For the moment, the Jeep is still garage-bound, and the light in there sucks. Got it ready just in time for the 6-8 inches of snow that's supposed to fall tomorrow night!

: Stupid ... Winter ... Cold ... Snow ... Ugh ... :

edit: Oh, and I ordered something... Savvy... this evening.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.