Cavasar's TJ - Page 53 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Cavasar's TJ

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-11-2014, 11:35 PM   #781
Cavasar
No Longer DD

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Discount is going to order my tires next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmtj View Post
I just had a hp built so maybe my opinion is of some value to you.

I did not truss, sleeve or gusset the c's. My reasoning was based on mr. Blaines posts and I couldn't justify the cost for a $100 housing. I will have a lockrite in mine and we'll see how the carrier does. If Imped didn't break his carrier I'll be fine. My plan is to wheel it hard and if it explodes I will upgrade to something else or buy another housing.

Also, I looked over at least 10 hp housings at the junk yard and none of them had the vacuum disconnect. Years ranged from 89-98. I pulled my housing for just over $100, but I'm not sure if you have a self serve junk yard.
I'm probably skipping the truss, sleeve, guesset from what I've heard/read too. I think I've decided on the Detroit for the front too. Honestly I dont think pulling a JY Hp will save much over the ECGS axle.

Unread 03-12-2014, 01:02 AM   #782
Driver831
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavasar

I'm probably skipping the truss, sleeve, guesset from what I've heard/read too. I think I've decided on the Detroit for the front too. Honestly I dont think pulling a JY Hp will save much over the ECGS axle.
Full Detroit, or tru trac?

And good call on the skipping. Just don't let your girl see you skip around too much.. She might think ur strange haha
Unread 03-12-2014, 05:28 AM   #783
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavasar View Post

What are you thinking about for a rear axle? a friend at work just pulled one out of an 09jk. He's selling the housing. Just an fyi. On mobile so I can't see where you're located
awinski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 08:58 AM   #784
Cavasar
No Longer DD

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver831
Full Detroit, or tru trac? And good call on the skipping. Just don't let your girl see you skip around too much.. She might think ur strange haha
Full f/r Detroits
Unread 03-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #785
Cavasar
No Longer DD

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awinski
What are you thinking about for a rear axle? a friend at work just pulled one out of an 09jk. He's selling the housing. Just an fyi. On mobile so I can't see where you're located
I just got a 44 in December so it's staying for now. I'm a bit far, College Station TX.
Unread 03-12-2014, 04:12 PM   #786
holdren4100@cyb
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Two things I would recommend you do before you put the axle in.
TIEROD FLIP

TRE insert to flip the tierod to the top of the knuckle to gain more clearance. The insert will need to be tapped in, and the split in them will ensure that they are tight and do not move. The insert kit comes with a grade 8 flanged lock nut to replace the factory castle nut. This is the same style nut used on newer JK's. The insert is made from cold rolled 1045 steel on a CNC lathe with the correct taper to match and lockup to the tierod just like factory.

All you need to install this TRE insert is a 3/4 drill bit and a 1/2 drill to hold it.

http://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com...ts-Gussets.htm
e5fe4b1caa3d48fb83aaefe92dd19276.jpg  
holdren4100@cyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 05:28 PM   #787
NYGLT56
Your Local Body Builder
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavasar View Post
Full f/r Detroits
You may or may not like that setup...I hated my Detroits when I had them..

As for the HP30, I had one, fully built. Beat the crap out of it with 0 issues. Granted I had them less than a year before the JK44s, but in that time frame it went to moab and back, and over 20 Crawling trips including the chili challenge down here.

Id Sleeve, Gusset, Full Case, and chromo it all over again. (My housing did cost 50$ Geared so I spent less) Just my .02

Either way, Sub'd

VOTE TJOTY!!!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...arted-2893337/
NYGLT56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 11:29 PM   #788
Driver831
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Full f/r Detroits
You will like it, just be easy making tight turns in 4low that's all
Unread 03-13-2014, 05:13 PM   #789
Cavasar
No Longer DD

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdren4100@cyb
Two things I would recommend you do before you put the axle in. TIEROD FLIP TRE insert to flip the tierod to the top of the knuckle to gain more clearance. The insert will need to be tapped in, and the split in them will ensure that they are tight and do not move. The insert kit comes with a grade 8 flanged lock nut to replace the factory castle nut. This is the same style nut used on newer JK's. The insert is made from cold rolled 1045 steel on a CNC lathe with the correct taper to match and lockup to the tierod just like factory. All you need to install this TRE insert is a 3/4 drill bit and a 1/2 drill to hold it. http://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com...ts-Gussets.htm
I'll look into the tie rod flip, what is the point of the sway link mounts?
Unread 03-13-2014, 05:15 PM   #790
Cavasar
No Longer DD

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGLT56
You may or may not like that setup...I hated my Detroits when I had them.. As for the HP30, I had one, fully built. Beat the crap out of it with 0 issues. Granted I had them less than a year before the JK44s, but in that time frame it went to moab and back, and over 20 Crawling trips including the chili challenge down here. Id Sleeve, Gusset, Full Case, and chromo it all over again. (My housing did cost 50$ Geared so I spent less) Just my .02 Either way, Sub'd
I've heard you just have to get used to the Detroit in the rear and I think I'm pretty tolerant so it shouldn't take long. Sleeve and gussets cost $180 & $150 so I'm still on the fence, leaning away though.
Unread 03-13-2014, 06:32 PM   #791
holdren4100@cyb
2000 TJ Wrangler 

When you do the tierod flip the tierod will hit the stock brackets. This is the best way to cure that.
I run Detroit's with no problems.
Unread 03-13-2014, 07:01 PM   #792
NYGLT56
Your Local Body Builder
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I've heard you just have to get used to the Detroit in the rear and I think I'm pretty tolerant so it shouldn't take long. Sleeve and gussets cost $180 & $150 so I'm still on the fence, leaning away though.
I had it in the rear for three years. Never got around to liking it. And if you do an inner sleeve (which is what I recommend) it's only $100 from poly.

VOTE TJOTY!!!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...arted-2893337/
NYGLT56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 07:58 PM   #793
holdren4100@cyb
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The sleeves were to help the JK housings from bending. There is no proof that the sleeves do alot good in a tj 30.
There are reports that they really don't do much In the JK.

Once you learn how to drive with a Detroit in the rear you won't even know it's there.
Unread 03-13-2014, 09:53 PM   #794
Cavasar
No Longer DD

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdren4100@cyb
When you do the tierod flip the tierod will hit the stock brackets. This is the best way to cure that. I run Detroit's with no problems.
Gotcha, that makes sense.
Unread 03-13-2014, 09:54 PM   #795
Cavasar
No Longer DD

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGLT56
I had it in the rear for three years. Never got around to liking it. And if you do an inner sleeve (which is what I recommend) it's only $100 from poly.
The $180 from ECGS is already welded in though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.