Capitol Blue TJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Capitol Blue TJ

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #16
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ordered everything for LED tail light conversion from superbrightleds.com, hopefully they will be here by end of this week so I can get the holes cut before I start painting over spring break.

Also ordered an aux adapter for my stereo and a panel mount jack to mount somewhere on the center console.

I'm also going to paint my wheels. I see no point in buying new wheels when the ones I have now are actually pretty nice. They're 15x8 aluminum wheels, I think Ultra, never heard of them but they're different. The don't have the best backspacing for 12.5" wide tires, but I just need to mess with the steering stops some more. Haven't decided on color, maybe black or something unique.

freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #17
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Received my LED tail lights this afternoon. And the stuff for my radio AUX input.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...specs%2Frt.htm

First off I have to say these lights are built VERY well considering how cheap they were. If you want these you have to make sure you buy the mounting grommets and pig tail plug. These lights are fully sealed and they even filled the connectors with dielectric grease. They are also really freakin' bright as they have 24 diodes.

Okay, so here's the install process:

2 Square LED lights
2 Rubber Mounting Grommets
2 Pigtails
1 License Plate Light

Started with taping the area off, measuring and marking where to cut. Had to bust out the compass to do the corners.

Measured out 5-7/16" x 3-9/16" hole (with 1" radius corners) per their website since you have to cut out for the rubber grommet.

After messing with some different tools I ended up using an angle grinder with a 4" cut off wheel for the straight lines, then the Dremel with a small cut off wheel for the corners. Took a lot more work then I though so I didn't get to the other light. So right know I have one LED light and one stock light.

Didn't have enough time to do both lights, so I'll finish the passenger side light tomorrow.

Unread 03-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #18
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Have some updates I forgot to share. Tail lights are done:

Latest updates of the paint project can be seen here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/re...my-tj-1157390/

To many pictures to be posting in both threads, I'll do some before and after pics here when I'm done though.
Unread 03-30-2011, 06:47 AM   #19
nickagr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Never seen that Ipod Aux hook up before good idea!
Keep up the good work!

Nick

CHECK OUT AND LIKE OUR GROUPS PAGE AT
http://www.facebook.com/Twisted.Axles
nickagr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2011, 03:09 PM   #20
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Paint is DONE. You can see everything here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/re...my-tj-1157390/

I'll post final pictures though in this thread.

Teaser pic

Full album can be seen here:

http://s969.photobucket.com/albums/a...20Paint%20Job/
Unread 03-31-2011, 06:58 PM   #21
ajf1994
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good! Keep up the good work! Btw I love the username too. Skiing is great.
[URL="http://stu-offroad.com/support.htm"][COLOR="Blue"]I Supported Stu![/COLOR][/URL][/B]
High School Jeepers #361
Parrothead Jeep Club #46
37,xxx Miles[/SIZE]
[QUOTE=XJ-Tim;12621151][SIZE="1"]my welds look like popcorn with sprinkles.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Benjamin Franklin][SIZE="1"]Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
ajf1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2011, 09:47 PM   #22
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf1994 View Post
Looks good! Keep up the good work! Btw I love the username too. Skiing is great.
Thanks, my usernames used to be skiracer but I retired from that after I broke my tibia. Now it's just freeskier.
Unread 04-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #23
ajf1994
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
Thanks, my usernames used to be skiracer but I retired from that after I broke my tibia. Now it's just freeskier.
Ouch! I do a little bit of racing, some Slalom and GS. I love every minute of it. Sorry to hear you got injured...
[URL="http://stu-offroad.com/support.htm"][COLOR="Blue"]I Supported Stu![/COLOR][/URL][/B]
High School Jeepers #361
Parrothead Jeep Club #46
37,xxx Miles[/SIZE]
[QUOTE=XJ-Tim;12621151][SIZE="1"]my welds look like popcorn with sprinkles.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Benjamin Franklin][SIZE="1"]Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
ajf1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #24
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Got everything put back together, got the roll cage squared away. Ended up replacing all the bolts with 5/16ths grade 8 bolts. Just had to tap the holes for the larger size. Might have to add some washers as the heads aren't quite as big or tapered like the torx bolts.

Unread 04-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #25
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Little update, changed the diff fluids and engine oil. Nothing exciting with the engine, front axle looks great no problems there, however it looks like one of the clutches in the LSD in the back is split in two places. Nothing earth shattering, gears look great. I'm not sure I'm really going to do anything about it. Frankly I could care less about the LSD. The axle drives fine and makes no sounds.

Rear:

Front:

The only thing I might do is fast track new axles. My plan was doing the ECGS 8.8/HPD30 combo, but I think I'm going to try and find a HPD30 on craigslist, but still do the 8.8 from ECGS. Can save some money in shipping and the actual cost of the axle. I would probably have to have it regeared though.
Unread 04-16-2011, 10:16 PM   #26
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

After doing the diff oil and seeing gears for the first time, it's really made me want to go further. I've been doing a TON of research today and have come up with a new plan for maybe this summer, late this year, but by sure next year.

My new plan is to still do an 8.8/HPD30 swap, but save some money and do the gears myself. First of all, in a little over a year I'm going to college where I hope to major in some kind of aerospace/mechanical engineering. I figure if I can't figure this out I should be looking at a different career path.

Really it's about having the right tools and patients. After having done a paint job, I think I have plenty of patients. Considering it only took me a year to do. Here's my more detailed plan:

Start with the front axle, I'm going to pull an HPD30 out of a cherokee. Looking on at online u-pull it places should be under 100 bucks, and have they have PLENTY of them. I figure by the time I buy all the required tools and gears/master install kit the cost of doing it myself and paying someone else will be the same, but by the time I get to the rear axle I'll save some money.

Once the front axle is set up, I would order a bare bones 8.8 from ecgs, install gears. With this plan I have no down time on the Jeep and I can work at my own leisure/pace. Where this will really save me money is when I eventually install lockers down the road. No way I can afford them now, but if I can learn to set up gears now I won't be paying for labor twice.

I've pretty much have a parts list in my head of absolutely need things; digital calipers, dial gauge/base, torque wrenches (should really have these regardless) seal and race driver set. Bearing puller I might forego, those are really freakin' expensive. Don't know about a press yet, some people use the HF 12 ton press, it's cheap, but I've also heard any auto parts store with a press will do it for free/cheap. Considering it's only needed for the inner pinion bearing and carrier bearings having someone else do it might be the way to go.

Now I just need money. First weekend in May I start working weekends, once school is out I start working full weeks. It's really going to depend on if I get an hourly pay raise and if I can convince my boss for more hours. If I didn't have to buy stupid tires this summer this would be happening now. This is why I might go cheap and do Duratracs instead of MT/R. STUPID TIRES.

Doing some basic pricing, looks like I would be spending about 1500-1600 total, compared to 2500 for a complete bolt in ready 8.8/HPD30 from ECGS.
Unread 04-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #27
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Doing some more research looks like there is a guy locally who builds 8.8s. It would be 900 for the gears I want and ready to bolt in, but in an attempt to save money I might see if I can get one with with just the brackets and do the gears myself.

It would probably be even cheaper to pull an Explorer 8.8, but I don't think I'm ready to have to weld on brackets. Still need to learn to weld. So I'm willing to do my own gears, but not weld on brackets, go figure....

The local route would probably put me just over 1k total for the axle swaps. However ECGS is still in my mind because I know they do great work, use quality parts, and know for sure they weld the tubes. I would much rather buy from them, but it will all be dictated by money.
Unread 05-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #28
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

It's been a while, but I've started working again. Went and got new calipers today, 3 hours to install. Took forever to get the damn caliper bolts on the drivers side threaded. Anyway, fixed the squeak, so basically my passenger side caliper was dragging and causing a bad squeak.
Unread 06-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #29
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quick and dirty update. Yesterday I found out I fractured my pelvis in two places and the squeak is back (not sure which I'm more pissed at yet).

Lucky I didn't fracture my hip or fracture my pelvis worse otherwise I would be having surgery, which would have put me out for a good year. I was also told by the orthopedic I can put weight on it so I'm still working, but that is the extent of my activities. 6 weeks to fully heal, I'm thinking about a month before I feel like doing anything on the Jeep. It's also the left side of my pelvis, and the jeep is a manual so it's not terribly fun to drive. I did have some wheelin' weekends planned this month, but I don't know about that anymore.

Basically I'll let the money pile up and hopefully by the end of the month things start to get interesting.
Unread 06-12-2011, 03:57 PM   #30
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Went down to Littleton today for a car show. Couple pics from my phone.

Anyone want to guess what car this is?

My dad took a bunch more pics that I will post.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.