C2U5H's 2012 JK Rubicon — Miss Cheeto - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > C2U5H's 2012 JK Rubicon — Miss Cheeto

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #61
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

So slight change of plans here ... I'm going to sell the Cibié setup and get the new Truck-Lite LEDs. They're just too cool not to. I'm also changing the layout of the switch pod as follows:
  • (2) SPDT toggles with an LED indicator for each
  • (4) SPST toggles with safety covers: front locker engage, rear locker engage, swaybar disengage, and complete ESP/TC disable. They won't have indicators since they're all annunciated on the dash. These four switches will allow complete control of all the systems on the JK, regardless of speed or T-case position. I just have to do some research for the '12 to see if all of them are similarly bypassed like the pre-2012 models. Any input would be helpful.

Will be missed:
1999 "Deep Amethyst" TJ +3" on 33's
C2U5H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #62
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

Not really much to update on ... just ordered the new Truck-Lite LEDs today (sent the Cibiés off to their new owner yesterday). The new Rugged Ridge A-pillar switch pod for the '11-'12 (p/n 17235.58) is backordered everywhere I call, so I'll just have to wait until May or so to get the switches in. I'll be installing the wiring harness this month whenever the Tech-Flex arrives.
I've also researched and found that the swaybar disconnect and ESP/TC defeat switches are not reasonably doable — so no more of that, unfortunately. The locker switches are still good to go. Ordering the switches and related items this week, hopefully.

I broke the distal head off my 5th metacarpal six weeks ago playing indoor (box) lacrosse about six weeks ago and just got the cast off last Monday ... the soft top went right on. WOW! It's SO much more quiet than my '99 TJ's factory soft top AND the Bestop Trektop I got for it before I sold it ... and the Sunrider feature is SO easy. No more door surround channels! Impressed, Chrylser/Jeep.

I also installed the Daystar Hood Wranglers (whoop-de-doo) ... man, they're tight. The hood ain't goin' no where.
Will be missed:
Unread 04-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #63
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

Installed my relayed wiring harness from Ray over at Susquehanna Motorsports (RallyLights.com). Decided against the Tech-Flex -- the harness is quality and well protected as it comes from Ray. It would've looked nicer with the black Tech-Flex to make it look completely stock, but in order to squeeze the harness around some of the components and follow the factory wiring harnesses within the cramped engine bay some bolts have to be removed/loosened to shift stuff around ... it's enough of a pain without extra diameter. Looks great, though.
I also installed the light brackets and test fit my old 7" HID driving lights and they just fit: since the ballast is incorporated into the back of the light enclosure, it's fairly deep. It grazes the grill in one spot when everything's tightened down ... nothing a strip of electrical tape can't fix.
Pretty excited to see the new Truck-Lites in action.
Pictures this weekend ...
Will be missed:
Unread 04-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #64
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

Got a whole bunch done today and took a bunch of pictures ... and a video.

Here's what went down:
  • Finished installing RallyLights.com relayed wiring harness
  • Installed Truck-Lite's new Phase 7 (p/n 27270C) Bi-LED headlights
  • Performed the "blinker mod"
  • Started on the grill mod
Just a snap of the Daystar Hood Wrangler link ... try to contain your enthusiasm. It really does keep the hood from buffeting in the wind as even the 2012's do it. Getting them latched is a bit more tricky since they're so tight but it's not anything crazy. Worth it.

The auxiliary light mounts are great (even though Quadratec shipped them with rusty hardware). You can see the small strips of electrical tape to keep the light buckets from rubbing on the grill.

I used the 1" square zip-tie mounts, 38 total (top, bottom, and three in the middle) for the grill mod. Bought expanded aluminum used to top off gutters and cut them into seven 12" x 3.75" rectangles. Tin shears work great. Two coats of primer, two heavy coats of gloss black enamel. Should hold up. Ran out of mounts so I'll have to get more and finish Sunday. Used high temperature, quick drying, two-part epoxy on the mounts so they stay put. More pictures to come of the finished product.

The blinker mod's simple enough ... follow the multiple guides and videos on the various forums (Google "JK blinker mod"). Cut the black wire coming out of the side indicator and tap it into the white/gray tracer for the driver side, and white/pink tracer for the passenger side. I completely snipped both wires and used a quality crimp-on butt connector and shrink wrap to seal it off. Then sealed everything back up with the factory corrugated wrap. Works great! I wondered why it didn't come this way from the factory like the TJs did: headlights off = blinks with front indicator; lights on = blinks alternately with the front indicator. They also illuminate now when locking/unlocking the doors with the fob.

And now to the Truck-Lites. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! Crisp cutoff, though they need to be aimed lower (like Hellas) if just plopping them into the stock position and not touching the aiming. I'm shooting for 4" lower than level from ten feet. The low beams definitely have the "X" hotspots in the middle of each, but they aren't noticeable unless you're driving up to a wall or another car, and even then it's only from about 20 feet up. I really don't know what the big deal is ... there are worse artifacts and hotspots with the stock H13 headlights. The lens is convex but much more flat than the stock fishbowls. I added two layers of electrical tape on the three alignment tabs on the backside of each headlamp bucket for a snug fit. Works great. Solidly built units. The H4 pigtail permanently attached to the rear is plenty long for easy installation and removal: no more wrestling with the short H13 leads from the factory. Coupled with the RallyLights.com wiring harness, everything works great with no flickering. I've read that not everyone notices the flickering, but I had the harness anyway when the Cibies were the plan. Used it anyway, plus it has my third driving light relay incorporated in it.

Starting here ...

Follows factory wiring as best under trim plastic ...

Same for the driver side (the coiled wires are the trigger/signal leads for the switch panel):

Out with the old ...

In with the new!

Profile:

Top with H4 pigtail:

Installed:

Low beam only:

High beam:

Low beam w/factory fog lights:

Showing the lateral pattern, low beam only:

Showing the low beam LED:

High beam LED with circuit board, which is completely sealed within the headlamp bucket and NOT exposed to the elements ... you can't even see it unless you're crouched looking up into the headlamp.

Video showing the "X" hotspots (yup, I said "donk"):
Will be missed:
Unread 04-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #65
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Happy with them? I'm thinking about trading up for the convex ones

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #66
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
Happy with them? I'm thinking about trading up for the convex ones
I can only reveal my first impressions since I just installed them yesterday afternoon with about 15 mins of night time driving: excellent. The units themselves feel stout in your hands and the installation couldn't be easier. The beam cutoff is crisp except for the hotspots in the center of each beam ... which I said before doesn't bother me at all. If there's going to be a hotspot, at least it's directly where you'd want it -- down the road -- instead of in your peripheral, distracting you. Low beams offer great side illumination and just the right amount of foreground light. The high beams are flame throwers, 'nuff said. I'll update with some more impressions in a month or so after I've had enough time to properly evaluate them (sans instruments).
Will be missed:
Unread 04-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #67
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

im excited to hear back

Unread 04-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #68
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

Did the grill mod the other day. Ran out of black zip ties (grr) ... I'll have to switch the white ones out when I aim the headlights. I also painted the stock muffler and exhaust tip with 2000 degree exhaust paint ... makes a surprising improvement to the look from the rear (that's what he said). Pictures of that sometime soon.

I think it turned out great! Have to touch up the black paint a little from the install ... still wasn't cured all the way. Oh well.
Will be missed:
Unread 04-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #69
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

looks great!

Unread 04-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #70
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

How are the lights working? Why the pigtail I'm curious.

Also these things are a b**** to find, where did you get yours?

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #71
Recon26
2007 JK Wrangler 

Looks great! Love the color!!
Recon26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #72
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the compliments! I popped the "damage" cherry last week while taking the doors off on a beautiful day — not even on the trail, nonetheless — and, you guessed it: let the driver's door swing open after disconnecting the connector and strap. Doh! I even KNEW about it before hand form all my friends having JKs before I sold the TJ and got mine. It was a low speed impact, though ... just a little pimple.

The lights are fanatastic still ... I LOVE driving at night now. Need to bring the aim up about 2" or so since my initial adjustment erred on the side of caution in regard to oncoming traffic and lower vehicles in front of me. The "X" hotspot, when aimed correctly, appears about 100 feet directly in the middle of the travel lane and still doesn't bother or distract me. The high beams still impress me, which is why I've held off slapping on the 7" HID driving lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler View Post
How are the lights working? Why the pigtail I'm curious.
Also these things are a b**** to find, where did you get yours?
Could you elaborate on your pigtail question? If it's why I'm using a full relay harness instead of just a pigtail connector converting the stock H13 headlight connector to the Truck-Lite's H4 connector, it's because I was going to use a set of Cibié headlamps and higher wattage bulbs which required the use of a full harness. I got the harness made first, then got the headlights, then changed my mind when the Phase 7s came out. So I used the harness anyway, but isn't mandatory for the install of the Phase 7s — but a short pigtail converting the Jeep's H13 connector to the Truck-Lite's H4 connector IS.
I got the lights from DiscountFleetSupply.com and used the code LIFEISGOOD5 during checkout to get 5% off. Got them three days later in MD.
Will be missed:
Unread 06-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #73
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

Some issues popped since I took delivery, so I decided to go in to the local dealership (Len Stoler Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge in Westminster, MD — highly recommended) and make an appointment to get it fixed on Monday 6/11. The list was:
  • Excessive valve noise on driver side engine: we've all read about the cylinder head issues, and I wanted a preemptive compression test done on the driver side bank to make sure the valve seats were okay.
  • Huge leak in passenger side footwell: service writer said this just calls for a complete replacement of the passenger side door weather strip/seal
  • Update radio firmware/software: to fix the crappy Bluetooth audio signal ... but I really just wanted it updated.
  • Notchy parking brake: when pulling the handle up (whether or not thumb button is pressed), the cable "catches" somewhere and is very notchy.
  • Driver side seat squeeks.
Well, don'tcha know that the very next day after scheduling the service, Tuesday 6/12, right after startup I get a CEL (Check Engine Light). ODO was 13,758 miles. Ran a tad rough, but otherwise as normal as ever. Maybe I'm just used to it running that way. I took the motorcycle to work the next day.

On Thursday 6/14, I took the Jeep and it ran "fine," but I stopped in to the dealership to have the service writer make a note about the CEL and read/clear the code to see if it would return. All techs were out for lunch. Took it to the local Advance Auto and borrowed their OBD-II scanner and found two codes: both P0304 (misfire cylinder #4), but one was "permanent," the other wasn't. Both codes cleared fine, then returned again on Sat 6/16.

Took her in for the service on Mon 6/18 and they found that the valve seats in cylinder #4 were inproperly milled due to loss of compression during test. Ordered new driver side cylinder head, which is on backorder until early July, I would guess. They put back the old head and I'm driving it as-is until the new parts come in, which is fine — it runs the same as before I dropped it off.

Good news is the driver's seat is squeekless, the Bluetooth on the radio is much clearer so I guess it was updated, and they replaced the passenger door weather strip/seal, so I'll keep an eye on the floor to see if that worked. The parking brake is still notchy, but since it doesn't affect its operation, I'm just going to leave it as-is. Just bugs me.
Will be missed:
Unread 06-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #74
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

As for the plans, moving forward, I'm getting the switch panel together now, finally. I'll be welding up my own front bumper (like I did on my TJ).

I talked to planman a bit about how I'm going to approach the 37's, and I've broken my build into four phases, which can be found on page 1 of my build.
Will be missed:
Unread 06-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #75
ChiliPepperXJ
2006 WK 

Nice looking rig man! I'm on the XJ side but I love watching the progress here! If I were to buy another Jeep (which I will), it would be exactly like yours! The color is awesome. I will be following your progress.

By the way, what camera are you shooting with, your pictures are sweet

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo
ChiliPepperXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.