Building a Jeep with no car knowledge.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Building a Jeep with no car knowledge....

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 09-28-2014, 12:08 PM   #1
LoadedMod94

Building a Jeep with no car knowledge....

Here's my story, I'm 16 and want to (in the future, 5-10 years down the road) build an awesome Willys CJ2a. The problem is- I have little to no car knowledge at all. I had little interest in how cars actually worked until the last year or so, before then I always judged cars based on how they looked, so I never bothered to be in the garage with my dad when he would work on his CJ-7. Now it's been gone for around 3 years and I think its time I start to work towards bringing a jeep back into the family. What I am looking to do is build an awesome Willys CJ2a (or possibly MB) for off road and on road use, I have plenty of pictures to post to show you the look Im going for. Basically I am looking to build something that looks like a toned down rock crawler. This won't be a daily driver so I'm not too terribly concerned about the mileage. But back to the main issue, like I said I know little to nothing about vehicles or how they function so this will be more a question thread than a build thread, until I start to buy parts and build. My first question is about possible transmissions. I don't want an automatic, but I'm not looking for anything fancy and I am not very good at driving stick. What I was thinking is a 3 speed transmission. However I don't where to look, what to look for, etc. So I need help from people who know what they are talking about. I don't know what information you might need to help me here, but I can try and give additional info to help. Engine wise I am looking at a Chevy 350 Small block. The whole Jeep will probably built from the ground up, unless I can find a frame in good shape, The tub and everything else will probably be all reproduction steel bodies because I don't want to do this to an original Jeep, especially if I decide to do an MB. Probably looking at Dana 44s, 6 inches of lift , 35 inch tires, 16 inch wheels. While I'm asking questions, I might as well ask, will I a small block 350 have enough power for all of this? I probably sound really stupid but I'm so lost so any help would be amazing, sorry for the really long post, I guess I should have paid more attention in the garage.

LoadedMod94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.