The build up of a 2000 sport - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The build up of a 2000 sport

Advance Adapters SYE KitsOconee Off-Road Jeep Night!SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 07-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
hyperberic
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The build up of a 2000 sport

Hi all, Well, I've reading all of the great threads over the last 2 yrs and thought maybe its time to add my own. When I bought the jeep, it had very little done to it. It had a 3" spring lift and a 1" body lift with Kumo 33x12.50's. My intentions were to have fun with it and do very little to it in the way of upgrades. Well, that didn't last long when I failed to get up one of the trails. Right there I said never again!! lol You all know what I mean!! So, it was on! I put a Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper with a 8500lb wench on it. Now that I could now get up that trail, I was able to take my time and build my own rear bumper. Side note, I work out of town all the time so any kind of build takes a long time!! lol I began last summer. I'll post all the pics as they happened.

chilling.jpg   imag0255.jpg   img_3718-2-.jpg   img_3717-2-.jpg  
hyperberic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
hyperberic
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I welded on two D-rings that I had left over from the front bumper. After the bumper was completed, I went on to build the tire carrier and swing gate. I used a gate latched made by synergy so I had to add a piece of 1.75" x .120 tube stock to the end of the swing gate. It worked out really well.
imag0535-copy.jpg   img_3774-copy.jpg   img_3776-copy.jpg   img_3886-copy.jpg  
Unread 08-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
hyperberic
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So I got the bumper and the swing gate built, its on to the tire carrier. I'm not one to do things the easy way so i really wanted to do something different so I bought a pipe bender and went from there!! lol Let me know what you think.
img_5200-copy.jpg   img_5196-copy.jpg   img_5195-copy.jpg   img_5209-copy.jpg  
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
hyperberic
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So as you can see from the pics above, the outer pipes go into the swing gate and actually go all of the way thru. I thought it would be much stronger that way. The threaded rod in the center is an acme threaded rod I got from a job I did a few months ago... It was scrap metal anyway! lol The center pipe was added as an after thought to add strength to the threaded rod that will be holding the weight of the tire.
img_5212-copy.jpg   img_5216-copy.jpg   imag0460-copy.jpg  
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
hyperberic
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So, I didn't quite have the two top pipes at the same angle when I welded them in place and one was higher than the other! Not good, so It was either grind out the welds and do it again or.......LOL so on went the pipe bender. I never thought it would have been that hard to get it up there by myself but I finally got it! and it worked. I think I actually bent it a half a degree too much but its much better! I guess the level dosnt lie, it ended up pretty good. I also got the finally two pipes welded in place on the lower half also. The next step and the next few pics will show where I cut off the pipes to length and added end caps.
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
hyperberic
2000 TJ Wrangler 

All most got it!!
imag0527-copy.jpg   imag0526-copy.jpg   imag0529-copy.jpg   imag0534-copy.jpg  
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
hyperberic
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You might have seen that the center pip on the lower half of the tire carrier was cut in half, well, I wanted a little more room for the tire to rotate and its a good level spot to set the tire before putting it in place. I don't think I have a pic of the plate I put on it though. I'll add one shortly. I'm actually spraying the bumper and carrier in the next few days so I hope to have the finished product up here soon.
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
hyperberic
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Heres the pic I forgot to add.
imag0524-copy.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.