build thread, a year later 01 XJ - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > build thread, a year later 01 XJ

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 12-20-2008, 09:17 AM   #61
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocflip201 View Post
Just read the build up. Nice XJ ha yeah those leafs do look a little stiff for the coils. It could be the ramp though. I had the opposite problem when I did my XJ build because the front coils were 180 lbs and were still new so they weren't broken in yet, while the rear coils were the stock 150 lbs but were 3" of lift and used and broken in, so my rear flexed really well while my front took a few trips to get worn in. After that it felt pretty equal front/rear. Eugh that was back when I didn't know what I was doing though I like your XJ though, just needs some more wheeling pics to go along with all these parking lot pics lol jk.
yea i dont understand why the back doesn't flex as much? its an RE 3.5" spring with a 1" shackle?

Quote:
Oh and p.s. If you are still looking for a HP D44 Ford front end, get one out of a F-150 pre-1978. (The 1978-79 used the forged wedges, while other years used weld-ons, so you would just cut them off like a leaf spring wedge.) Here is an awesome link that tells you everything you need to know about a Dana 44. It was where I was learning all the mods I wanted to do to my old D44. Chevy Flat-top knuckles for High steer, which high-steer arms I wanted to use, how to do the disc conversions. (My axle was a 1969 so it had drum brakes up front.) K here is the link- Mr. N's Main Article Page (read the top 3 links. after I read all the stuff about it I just ended up deciding that I wanted a Ford 1 ton D60 so I sold my D44 and searched for a D60. bought it yesterday)
i dont think i will be going fullsize just yet, i may be doing JK axles now, but with the crackign problems i've seen i'm not so sure. i may built a super HP30 and sleeve it and truss it with 30 spline. may be the better choice for my purposes

Quote:
Originally Posted by los3rguitarist View Post
Niceeeeee. I hope my xj looks that good when it grows up
thanks! mine's only a pre-teen tho! lots of growing up to do!

MY BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...lding-1575841/

My Photography Paul Lehr's Flickr
Vassago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2008, 09:24 AM   #62
Asored2000
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You did a really nice job with the trimming, looks very clean. Removing that molding and painting made a world of difference too. Awesome job, great looking Jeep.
Unread 12-20-2008, 02:55 PM   #63
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asored2000 View Post
You did a really nice job with the trimming, looks very clean. Removing that molding and painting made a world of difference too. Awesome job, great looking Jeep.
thanks man! yea i try to make everything looks good, like it was meant to be that way from the beginning. it'll look more finished when i get end caps for the rear bumper. that gap is driving me insane!

Unread 12-20-2008, 11:10 PM   #64
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMXxXJ View Post
yea i dont understand why the back doesn't flex as much? its an RE 3.5" spring with a 1" shackle?

i dont think i will be going fullsize just yet, i may be doing JK axles now, but with the crackign problems i've seen i'm not so sure. i may built a super HP30 and sleeve it and truss it with 30 spline. may be the better choice for my purposes

thanks! mine's only a pre-teen tho! lots of growing up to do!

Would you be able to post a picture of your shackle angle? one at ride height and then one at full flex, the stuffed-tire-side.

*Edit* and cracking problems?? on the JK axles?? where are they cracking at I havn't heard anything.

Last edited by chocflip201; 12-20-2008 at 11:21 PM..
chocflip201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2008, 11:26 PM   #65
MuddyJeepZJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome from NJ. Jeeps looking good. Where do you plan on wheeling it at? I am in Ocean County myself.
New Jersey Jeep Association
MuddyJeepZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2008, 12:35 AM   #66
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Would you be able to post a picture of your shackle angle? one at ride height and then one at full flex, the stuffed-tire-side.

*Edit* and cracking problems?? on the JK axles?? where are they cracking at I havn't heard anything.
i'll take those pix soon.

and yea... cracking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyJeepZJ View Post
Welcome from NJ. Jeeps looking good. Where do you plan on wheeling it at? I am in Ocean County myself.

i want to get out to rausch this winter. i got to airport n play around a little. sometimes colliers. there's nothing fun in new jersey. i'm planning on moving to cali sometime in 09 so hopefully there's more than just pine trees and mud

Unread 12-21-2008, 09:09 AM   #67
MuddyJeepZJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

i want to get out to rausch this winter. i got to airport n play around a little. sometimes colliers. there's nothing fun in new jersey. i'm planning on moving to cali sometime in 09 so hopefully there's more than just pine trees and mud
Maybe you are just hanging out with the wrong people? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f58/who-says-nj-all-sand-mud-649230/

We are heading to Rausch next weekend as well.
Unread 12-21-2008, 10:03 AM   #68
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Maybe you are just hanging out with the wrong people? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=649230

We are heading to Rausch next weekend as well.
i suppose i am! yea everyone i know just goes mudding. if i wanted to go straight and mash the throttle i'd have a car and drag race it. been there, done that. it's all a big game. some girl tried making fun of me cuz her chevy is on 44's. i laughed and told her i felt bad she drives a chevy. total napoleon complex

i used to know one kid in north jersey where the rocks are. but he's really good friends with my ex, and yea we're sort of on really bad terms, he's one of those people that tries to fight everyone. i def want to meet more people with jeeps in the area. not just dumb kids who get dirty.

Unread 12-21-2008, 11:32 AM   #69
MuddyJeepZJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i suppose i am! yea everyone i know just goes mudding. if i wanted to go straight and mash the throttle i'd have a car and drag race it. been there, done that. it's all a big game. some girl tried making fun of me cuz her chevy is on 44's. i laughed and told her i felt bad she drives a chevy. total napoleon complex

i used to know one kid in north jersey where the rocks are. but he's really good friends with my ex, and yea we're sort of on really bad terms, he's one of those people that tries to fight everyone. i def want to meet more people with jeeps in the area. not just dumb kids who get dirty.

Well that was a Private Property ride in North Jersey we went on it also helps as we are one of the only clubs in the area to have insurance for this kind of stuff. Not sure if you seen a Lime Green YJ in Manasquan but he is a member of our club as well. Come check us out if you are interested in meeting other area Jeepers.
www.njjeep.org the forum is here: http://www.njjeep.org/phpbb3/
Unread 12-21-2008, 12:10 PM   #70
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Well that was a Private Property ride in North Jersey we went on it also helps as we are one of the only clubs in the area to have insurance for this kind of stuff. Not sure if you seen a Lime Green YJ in Manasquan but he is a member of our club as well. Come check us out if you are interested in meeting other area Jeepers.
www.njjeep.org the forum is here: http://www.njjeep.org/phpbb3/
haha i live 2 blocks from mike!

Unread 12-21-2008, 12:41 PM   #71
MuddyJeepZJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
haha i live 2 blocks from mike!
Matt you mean?
Unread 12-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #72
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Matt you mean?
oh yea, duh err farrel!!! we've only seen each other in passing tho. havent actually met the kid yet

Unread 12-21-2008, 12:52 PM   #73
MuddyJeepZJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
oh yea, duh err farrel!!! we've only seen each other in passing tho. havent actually met the kid yet
Haha that's funny then. Yeah we have both a Rausch Ride and a Pines ride planned for the weekend. Not sure if he will be at either one though.
Unread 12-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #74
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

i got work all weekend, bummer

Unread 12-23-2008, 08:19 PM   #75
GriffTatum
1999 TJ Wrangler 

good rig bud. looks like it can really stand up to alot.
think about ceter caps though.
GriffTatum is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.