Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

build thread, a year later 01 XJ

104K views 530 replies 106 participants last post by  Vassago 
#1 · (Edited)
ok so i've been wanting to do a build thread. i work slow and money id tight but i'm actually going to be doing more this year! so build thread time! should done this when i bought it.

ok so here's what i started with (yes i bought it lifted)
specs on how it came
2001 cherokee sport w/ upcountry package
front skid, tank skid, TC skid, front tow hooks, rear tow hooks, trans cooler, higher amp alternator
LP dana 30, dana 35 with trak-loc, NP242 TC
dark garnet red with tan interior

ok aftermarket
RE 4.5" superflex, with everything, extended brakelines, RE SYE, rusty's sliders, rock-it intake, 32 x 11.5" BFG a/t's crager d-windows 15x8 4"bs, and a full size spare. yakima racks.

the lift i assume was a few years old before i bought it. it has gen1 discos on it but everthing still has grease fittings? not sure

TO DO LIST:
33" KM2's check
trim fenders check
lighting
strorage space! (soon)
Treks y link and belly pan
axles dana 44's
ox lockers
rear discs
bumpers
frame stiffening
gadgets... of course
on board air
bike repair stand
sound

here's a pic or two

not a bad place to start! i found it on jeep forum! some ricer owned it and his dad was driving it but didn't like how high it was. the kid detailed the hell out of it! he only owned it for a few months, the jeep is originally from colorado according to carfax. had about 58k when i bought it in august of 2007.

See less See more
#2 ·
so after i get it i take it to my local shop to have it thoroughyl checked out.
(i already had my jeep nut GF, and a buddy who's a mechanic look at it before i bought it) changed all the fluids greased everything, torqued everything, basically did a full tune up right off the bat.

then i went of vacation and flexed out a rock near lake george

and a poser shot

as you can see from the pictures, i changed the roof rack to a thule rack and removed the factory bars. i work for a thule dealer so i get a good price and i liek their stuff. i think it looks a lot cleaner this way.

#3 ·
didn't really wheel much much last winter, just used the jeep as my daily. was too involved with work and school and the girl. when this spring i changed just, lost the girl, and school is over for good. so i have tiem to have fun again

i added some hella 500's to the front bumper. took off my flares, and trimmed my endcaps on the front.

#4 ·
i got bored at work yesterday so i did this!
self etching primer

dulpicolor spary paint

close up

clear coated with vents installed

back in the jeep!

i think it came out pretty good, in a few days i'll buff it and wax it really to good til its as smooth as the outside

#6 ·
Thats a great platform to start with. Very low miles, it's not even broken in yet.

good luck on the build.
its got about 91k on it now!!! i used to drive A LOT!

lots more happening to the jeep with in the next week!

#7 · (Edited)
also painted my brackets for my headlights black, may paint the inside portion on the bexels black too, but i'm undecided.

#8 ·
i love how when i decide to do this UPS stops by with a package!

spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers

#13 ·
is there a reason why? i've used them in cars before without any problems?

i dont wheel that hard so i figured it wasn't an issue.

#14 ·
ok spacers are installed!

before

after

before

after

poser

only problem i saw was this...

that was at full click, i bent that lip out of the way, i plan on trimming with a week anyway, and i'm getting new tires installed on monday and while at the shop, i'll adjust the steering stops.

oh and i used my factory breaker bar as a holding bars to torque the spacers on.

dont worry i realized i forgot the jackstand and grabbed one! no flaming!

#29 ·
ok spacers are installed!

after
Not to flame you but the reason some guys frown on spacers is because you will wear out your front unit bearings much faster, and being that your wheels we already sticking out a bit you may be replacing them a lot more than you would like.

Nice looking Jeep though! :thumbsup:

#27 ·
thanks nwdave, but i looked at those, and honestly i thought they were hideous. oh well! i'll rock it like this for now, see how it goes.

#32 · (Edited)
ok so i got my KM2's on yesterday!

the tires were rubbing the fenders really bad. so i trimmed!

i had originally planned to just trim the first lip off so the factory mounting points would still eb there in the event that i need to put them back on.

but after driving around last night and this morning, i realized i hadn't trimmed enough. so today out came the angle grinder again! and i cut off the rest of the lip. my proteckto trim also showed up today (thanks to dirk at DPGoffroad.com!)

so i got to work!

just a tip, i found if i cut a slit to the point here i marked, and trimmed in two pieces, it was easier to cut around the fold at the lower portion of the fender.

after cuttign i hit it with a flap wheel to clean up the edge. and applied the proteckto trim to make it look all purdy!

and the other side of course!

#33 ·
after i trimmed, i noticed my fenders were a little flimsy. so i bent some steel i had laying around the shop and made some support for both side and jbwelded them in.

pic was from a test fit, didn't bother to take a second one, you get the idea

also be very careful cutting!!! i skimmed my washer fluid tank a bit! didn't cut all the way through though, just nicked it!

i still have to trim the rear and grind off the rivets that hold the endcaps on. i'm on the hunt for pre-96 endcaps for the rear bumper. i don plan on doing the cut and fold mod on the lower quarters but i'm undecided on if that will get don tomorrow or if i'm goign to wait until i get a rear bumper. i also plan on removign the door trim as well. i bought textrured flat black paint for the bottoms of the doors and lower quarter for now.

:2thumbsup:

#35 ·
so tonite i found out i'll be getting HP dana 44 up front and a ford 9 inch rear out of a 78 bronco!!!! stoked! more work to be done over the winter!

#36 ·
got some more work today. just before the rain came!

removed the side moulding and set up a tarp just in case

trimmed the rear fender and sprayed the lower part with rustoleum textured flat black. i did this because i think herculine is too thick, i like this so far i did 4 coats, pic was after the first one. we'll see how it holds up.

proteckto applied and taping removed.

10 minutes after the paint was dry to the touch the rain came! i hope it sticks or have a lot of cleaning up to do! :brickwall

#40 ·
thanks spenzod! i see you're from reno, cool town! i was there last febuary.

#41 ·
sweet build so far dude! how you liking your KM2s? ive had mine for about 4 months and i love em

#42 ·
i liek them, i haven't gone out and played with them yet. it's been raining all week and still need to finish trimming my passenger side. i almost died int he in the rain last night tho... but i think if i still had my A/T's on i def wouldve. i was doing about 40 down a back road got to the bottom of a hill and the road was flooded about 8 inches. scared the bejesus out of me

#43 ·
When you go to the full width axles, you should be about the same width, track wise, as you are now with those wheels, and the spacers! Kind of sucks you'll have to buy some 5 on 5.5 wheels for the new axles though, oh well. Looks great!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.