Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

build thread, a year later 01 XJ

104K views 530 replies 106 participants last post by  Vassago 
#1 · (Edited)
ok so i've been wanting to do a build thread. i work slow and money id tight but i'm actually going to be doing more this year! so build thread time! should done this when i bought it.

ok so here's what i started with (yes i bought it lifted)
specs on how it came
2001 cherokee sport w/ upcountry package
front skid, tank skid, TC skid, front tow hooks, rear tow hooks, trans cooler, higher amp alternator
LP dana 30, dana 35 with trak-loc, NP242 TC
dark garnet red with tan interior

ok aftermarket
RE 4.5" superflex, with everything, extended brakelines, RE SYE, rusty's sliders, rock-it intake, 32 x 11.5" BFG a/t's crager d-windows 15x8 4"bs, and a full size spare. yakima racks.

the lift i assume was a few years old before i bought it. it has gen1 discos on it but everthing still has grease fittings? not sure

TO DO LIST:
33" KM2's check
trim fenders check
lighting
strorage space! (soon)
Treks y link and belly pan
axles dana 44's
ox lockers
rear discs
bumpers
frame stiffening
gadgets... of course
on board air
bike repair stand
sound

here's a pic or two

not a bad place to start! i found it on jeep forum! some ricer owned it and his dad was driving it but didn't like how high it was. the kid detailed the hell out of it! he only owned it for a few months, the jeep is originally from colorado according to carfax. had about 58k when i bought it in august of 2007.

See less See more
#431 ·
i leave in 9 days. snowboarding in july! oh yea! but i'm working everyday until then and my only day off i have a weddign to go to. i have to drive to atlanta first, so no wheeling cuz if i break i'll miss my trip.

#437 ·
Average yes, actual mileage when I bought it was 53,624 :) I had to look it up.

But I didn't drive it for 4 months when the head cracked and I was living a lot closer to work for a year and a half soo 07-08 I was averaging 3500 a month, then 08-10 I was averaging about 1500 a month including the head crack, I currently run at 2700 a month.

But I also switched from 32s to 33s and didn't change my speedo gear so I technically have more miles on it than is recorded but the odometer.

Why are we analyzing this? Lol

#438 ·
Vassago said:
Average yes, actual mileage when I bought it was 53,624 :) I had to look it up.

But I didn't drive it for 4 months when the head cracked and I was living a lot closer to work for a year and a half soo 07-08 I was averaging 3500 a month, then 08-10 I was averaging about 1500 a month including the head crack, I currently run at 2700 a month.

But I also switched from 32s to 33s and didn't change my speedo gear so I technically have more miles on it than is recorded but the odometer.

Why are we analyzing this? Lol
Lol. This is too funny.... How in the heck can you afford to drive that thing? That must 500-600 in fuel a month!

#440 ·
Yea I spend about 500 a month on gas. This is why I'm buying a vw tdi, my payment and gas will be about equal to what I currently just pay for gas.

#442 ·
RedZJ said:
Image my gas bill.

5.2 with about 2500 - 3000 a month.
I dunno.. I had a 318 zj once. It didn't seem to get that much worse then my 4.0 does now. It was getting like 17mpg mixed, it was stock. I actually sold my 04 wj because it was only getting 13mpg (mixed), stock also. My xj now gets 20mpg on the highway and right around 18mpg mixed, it's also stock.

#445 ·
i'll be getting the 2011 version. same thing. did he get the manual or dsg?

oh and the jetta will get it's far share of mods as well :)

#451 ·

Stock gears on 33s.

Pike, how much would insurance for both vehicles run you a month? Did you ever factor that in.
it's an extra 100 a month to add the jetta. getting old and having a perfect driving record is kind of a good thing in this case :)

#449 ·
Isaac5108 said:
I dunno.. I had a 318 zj once. It didn't seem to get that much worse then my 4.0 does now. It was getting like 17mpg mixed, it was stock. I actually sold my 04 wj because it was only getting 13mpg (mixed), stock also. My xj now gets 20mpg on the highway and right around 18mpg mixed, it's also stock.
Stock gears on 33s.

Pike, how much would insurance for both vehicles run you a month? Did you ever factor that in.

#453 ·
got her dirty today

need to go back to this hill climb with a spotter and another vehicle. i was by myself today

#454 ·
getting ready to build the rear axle :) the rubi axles will be installed before winter. my only debate is install them with 4.10's and stick with 33's or do 4.88's and go up to 35's.

i've been selling off bikes and other stuff that i dont really need and haven't been using to bulk up the bank account to just get this done.

the ball joints on my front axle are pretty much toast and causing my front tires to cup. the front 44 i have will bolt right in and i know 4.10's and lockers will greatly enhance my 33" driving experience. i need new tire and if i stick with 33's i only have to buy 3 (never used my spare)

if i go 35's it's just going to drive up the price of everythign and do i really need to go that big? i have the 4.88's already but they are in the box and i know i can sell them to cover some cost.

thoughts? and also anyone know a good gear installer in central nj? i've never set up gears and i dont really have the tools to do so. i'm also goign to need a way to press in bearing and all that stuff, one of those things i'd rather pay to have done right and the axles are out so why not? or if anyone in the area has the experience and tools to do it and will work for beer and returned favors and teach me a thing or too that would be awesome too.

#455 ·
Vassago said:
getting ready to build the rear axle :) the rubi axles will be installed before winter. my only debate is install them with 4.10's and stick with 33's or do 4.88's and go up to 35's.

i've been selling off bikes and other stuff that i dont really need and haven't been using to bulk up the bank account to just get this done.

the ball joints on my front axle are pretty much toast and causing my front tires to cup. the front 44 i have will bolt right in and i know 4.10's and lockers will greatly enhance my 33" driving experience. i need new tire and if i stick with 33's i only have to buy 3 (never used my spare)

if i go 35's it's just going to drive up the price of everythign and do i really need to go that big? i have the 4.88's already but they are in the box and i know i can sell them to cover some cost.

thoughts? and also anyone know a good gear installer in central nj? i've never set up gears and i dont really have the tools to do so. i'm also goign to need a way to press in bearing and all that stuff, one of those things i'd rather pay to have done right and the axles are out so why not? or if anyone in the area has the experience and tools to do it and will work for beer and returned favors and teach me a thing or too that would be awesome too.
Pike. Check out globex performance in Tom's river.

They do gears like crazy. They will be doing mine in a Month.

#456 ·
soo i was finishing up grinding the welds off the rear axle yesterday and it fell off the jack stands and broke my foot, thank jebus it was just the housing and not a completely assembles axle, damn near lost 2 toes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.