Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Build thread: “Project Taildragger”

94K views 486 replies 71 participants last post by  Beowill 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all.:wave: I’ve been working on this jeep for a while, so I figure its time to start a build thread for it. I’ve always wanted a Scrambler but never could find one at a decent price. Back in Dec ‘08 I found this jeep on craigslist. It was somebody’s project that was never going to be put back together. The previous owner was just going to replace the floor pans and it went from there. Four years later, it was still sitting in pieces in his backyard. Bought it with no motor, trans or transfer case but a whole lot of spare parts.

The jeep:
1982 CJ 7 that’s been stretched
Dana 30 front
Model 20 rear
4” susp. lift
Lift shackles
33” all terrains

The plan:
Chevy 350 V8
Auto tranny
Atlas transfer case
Body armor
37 - 40” tires
Dana 44 or 60 front
Dana 60 rear

Its being built so I don’t have to beat up my LJ on the more extreme trails. Hopefully it will be drivable by the spring of 2010. The dana axles will probably come after the factory axles break.

Now onto the pics!

See less See more
#16 ·
#9 ·
Fender trimming time! I was originally gonna run TJ flares since I have a spare set, but decided to go flareless.

Here I followed the lip for my cut.

Before

After

Once again I followed the lip to cut. I don't like how it looks so Im going to recut it later.

Cut some off the front too. Might take a little more. Don't know yet :dunno:

#13 ·
Removed the tub

I cut off the side step bars. I believe bigger tires will rub them while flexing so they will need to be shortend. If I decide to reuse them I'm going to make plates for them to bolt them on. Shot the bottom side of the tub and the frame with some black paint

#19 · (Edited)
Wanted some crusher corners but didn't know if the store bought ones would work since the body has been stretched, plus its more fun to make your own. So off to the steel yard I went. Bought two sheets of 1/8" plate and went to work. First I cut down the height and bolted it to the tub on the rear. Then took the torch and heated the corner. With a little persuasion it rolled around the corner. Didn't really turn out that great but it will work. Kind of has the trail damage look from day one :teehee:. When it came to the other side I went back to the drawing board. This time I used a large racket strap to keep pressure on it while heating. After some heat and tightening the strap it rolled right around. Looks a lot better, however probably would not do it again. Once I get the jeep moved around I'll get some pics of the other side.

#24 ·
Here's a few pics of the frame stretch. Wish I knew more about it, but the previous owner had one of his friends do it.

2" square tubing in the rear

Don't really know what they used here, but it looks a piece of channel with 1/4" plate welded to the backside to box it. Looks like it will work, time will tell. May go back and weld in some fishplates.

#25 ·
One day I was looking under 4WD Hardware's overstock section and found a dash for $50.00. Really was wanting one with only a steering column cutout, but it was to good of a deal to pass up. Was already powdercoated and I'll work around the switch cutouts.

Test fitting the gas tank. I think I'm going to fab up a skid for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.