Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Build thread: “Project Taildragger”

94K views 486 replies 71 participants last post by  Beowill 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all.:wave: I’ve been working on this jeep for a while, so I figure its time to start a build thread for it. I’ve always wanted a Scrambler but never could find one at a decent price. Back in Dec ‘08 I found this jeep on craigslist. It was somebody’s project that was never going to be put back together. The previous owner was just going to replace the floor pans and it went from there. Four years later, it was still sitting in pieces in his backyard. Bought it with no motor, trans or transfer case but a whole lot of spare parts.

The jeep:
1982 CJ 7 that’s been stretched
Dana 30 front
Model 20 rear
4” susp. lift
Lift shackles
33” all terrains

The plan:
Chevy 350 V8
Auto tranny
Atlas transfer case
Body armor
37 - 40” tires
Dana 44 or 60 front
Dana 60 rear

Its being built so I don’t have to beat up my LJ on the more extreme trails. Hopefully it will be drivable by the spring of 2010. The dana axles will probably come after the factory axles break.

Now onto the pics!

See less See more
#32 · (Edited)
The orginal windshield frame had some rust around the glass and two stripped bolts on the hinges. Drilled out the bolts and took off the hinges.

The jeep came with a new winshield.

Didn't notice the boogered up threads till I was test fitting the hinge.

So out came the drill and tap. Went ahead and taped all the holes to clean up the threads.

All good now. Here you can see the only bad spot on the frame.

Starting to look more like a heep everyday!

#33 ·
Finished cutting the corner armor today. Just have to drill a few more holes and they will be done.

Marked the line to cut with the skil saw.

Used a level as a straight edge for a nice cut.

Nice straight cut.

Test fit.

Cutting the other side.

Cutting out a hole for the gas filler neck.

Almost a perfect match.

Finished

#41 · (Edited)
I really considered doing that but decided to leave it alone.

what seats are you gonna go with?
I will probably use the factory seats to start since they are in good condition. Eventually want to put in Corbeau Baja Ultra or Baja SS front seats with the matching rear bench seat. I was doing some measuring a while back and don't think the baja rear seat will fit due to the width the rear fenders were made so I might have to use the safari style seat. Also want to run a 4 or 5 point harnesses up front.

Attachments

#44 ·
I was gonna order those but decided I liked the reclining capability of the Moabs so they should be here next week.

#50 · (Edited)
Got a little work done today on the rocker guards. Going to take them to a fab shop to have them bent. Hopefully I'll have them done by next weekend.

I was so scared that this wouldnt come out right, but it fits nicely with no gaps.

#51 ·
Had to work half of the day so I didn't get much work done. Got the tailgate mounted and cut some holes for the tail lights. Also finished drilling holes for the corner armor. Once I get the lights I'll clean up the holes a little better for a tight fit.

#53 ·
Some shade of orange with black accessories. House of Kolor has some colors that I like, but their paint is pretty pricey for a trail rig. Looking at a few Ford and GM colors. Right now I'm learning towards a regular orange like this one:

Attachments

#59 ·
Maybe it's just the picture or the monitor, but that color is terrible. It looks like a shade of lipstick you'd find in 1987. I was waiting for the lei and the stuffed animal with a graduation cap thingy hanging from the rear view mirror.

I think the old Dodge orange works well, much like the new Challengers come with.

#60 ·
Maybe it's just the picture or the monitor, but that color is terrible.
Probably just the monitor. It looks a little different in person. Some oranges never seem to look right on a computer.

I think the old Dodge orange works well, much like the new Challengers come with.
Thats kind of what I'm leaning towards, similar to the Ford comp orange.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.