Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Build thread: Dirty *****

23K views 54 replies 12 participants last post by  95wrangler4life 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, so after a few friends requests to make a build thread guess i will work on one.

Here is my rig, nicknamed: Dirty *****:

95 YJ, 2.5l AX5, NP231, D30/D35, bought with 2" shackle and 3" body lift. Running 31's, Pro Comp ATs.

All above was prior to moving to maryland and joining ESJA.

This pic below was after moving down, cleaned it all up, got a new used set of rims and tires, 31 Dunlop ATs

Got a set of 32 TSL SX's for a good price and threw them on, trimmed the fender flares, front fenders and front bumper. Moved KC lights from windshield to front bumper:

Wheeled with her like this for bout 6 months, then disaster struck with the shackle lift and stock springs. I entered a obstacle I was repeatedly trying to beat, when the front shackle dug in and snapped off the frame on the pass side.

Loaded up on friends trailer and heading to Psycho Squirrel Fab Shop: Thats me right side of pic. I have the big a$$ grin because my wife was with me and didnt tell me not to do it, so now that it finally broke i can get a real lift kit!

See less See more
#52 ·
So... last May i got a set of TJ flares from a NJJA member.... and they have sat. Once i installed the 36's I lost flex in the rear because of the body needing more trimming.... so today, with the help of my fabricator buddy, we opened up the rear and installed the rear TJ flares, looks great and work great now,,, great stuffing of the tires, I will have pics later.....

Didn't want to comp cut because I haven't reached fuel cell build yet.... that is part of my rear stretch build

#53 ·
wheeled the snot out of it over the weekend at Rausch Creek without issues

Attachments

#54 ·
So a little update:

The wheeling pics I posted, as you see do not have bunch of pics of my heep, because we were busy covering ground and I was to busy punishing (testing) my heep to try to find the weak links. But I will say this, this is the 3rd ride where I have been the only leaf springs around vehicle and I have hung just fine.

Planned upgrades:

Wheels: Going to be ordering some custom beadlocks from DIYbeadlock.com who is having a hell of a sale right now, $200 with basically any design you want, $20 total for powdercoating, $40 for thick anti-coning ring and straight shipping. Look them up at the website or Pirate4x4 in the axle/tire vendors section. They do not come with hardwre but Zach at AtoZ sells hardware kit for $100 plus shipping. These will allow me to run the lowest air-pressure to allow the sidewalls of these stiff but great SX's to conform.

Steering: Bout 90% sure I am going to go Rugged Ridge kit.... but still thinking about reaming out a bit and going with HEIMS.

Front Axle:Will be placing a order with East Coast Gear Supply for Chromoly Shafts up front, however, with a complete spare set of shafts (minus the intermediate shaft that i lost) for the current setup, they will not be ordered until I break a shaft. I will not be going to the fancy smancy U joints that say I will break a Chromo shaft before a U joint because that is Effin Stupidity in my eyes. A broken u joint is the easiest and cheapest of repairs, plus its a Dana 30 axle, so the next weak-spot after the U-joint is the ring gear, so I'd rather snap a u joint than the ring gear or screw up the other internals.

Rear Axle: At the moment.... going to replace the Rusty's skid on the cover with a SOLID cover. Then I will finally open up the cover and inspect the inside for the issues, need the pinion bearing replaced still but still putting it off.

Bumpers: Yep... still need a tire carrier. Really want a custom "Stinger" style rear tire carrier, but need something on the jeep by October so the family can go with on the ride, so not sure what I will end up with. Also need to get a winch plate and see about what I want to do with the front bumper.

Suspension: Thinking about replacing my RC springs with BDS, but at this point, its working, rather well, so not going to do much.

Drivetrain: Still do not have a SYE/CV. I have a used t-case sitting in storage. Going to be ordering a SYE soon and get it installed into my other tcase as soon as I make the decision that I am not going to do a Rubi tcase or something else. But like the other, until I break it I'm not planning to install it.

Winch: Yeah eventually I will get one, prolly a M8000, best prices I have found have been with Northridge4x4 and right now the price has dropped to $499.... to bad I'm getting a pistol instead this month.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.