Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Build thread: Dirty *****

23K views 54 replies 12 participants last post by  95wrangler4life 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, so after a few friends requests to make a build thread guess i will work on one.

Here is my rig, nicknamed: Dirty *****:

95 YJ, 2.5l AX5, NP231, D30/D35, bought with 2" shackle and 3" body lift. Running 31's, Pro Comp ATs.

All above was prior to moving to maryland and joining ESJA.

This pic below was after moving down, cleaned it all up, got a new used set of rims and tires, 31 Dunlop ATs

Got a set of 32 TSL SX's for a good price and threw them on, trimmed the fender flares, front fenders and front bumper. Moved KC lights from windshield to front bumper:

Wheeled with her like this for bout 6 months, then disaster struck with the shackle lift and stock springs. I entered a obstacle I was repeatedly trying to beat, when the front shackle dug in and snapped off the frame on the pass side.

Loaded up on friends trailer and heading to Psycho Squirrel Fab Shop: Thats me right side of pic. I have the big a$$ grin because my wife was with me and didnt tell me not to do it, so now that it finally broke i can get a real lift kit!

See less See more
#2 ·
Front springs after removal at the shop:

New RC lift installed:

Front Diff now lincoln locked:

Pics after leaving shop:

Area which frame was repaired and T case drop installed:

Lift shackles cut down to near stock.

#3 · (Edited)
Some winter wheeling pics here on the shore!

Feb trail maintenance: The XJ is Psycho Squirrel's rig which was on 33 Throny's, now on 36 iroks:

The big group together for Feb land maintenance!

Loving the new lift and locker:

Blacked out grill and added black to hood:

Wheeling recovery:

Backyard Flex pics this summer:

Wheelin pics in June this year:

2 months ago: Sanded the red off, primered, bed lined the outside of the entire body, then going to get painted at later time:

New club sticker:

#4 ·
New CD player installed, wires under dash cleaned up:

Moved my speakers from laying down on fender wells to standing up and moved back so car seat fits better:

New radio antenna installed, the old ones were CB style and got ripped off in the woods:

Drain holes drilled in rear above tank, back seat feet, and front seat feet:

New axles coming at end of month: D30 and 8.8 with 4.88 gears, mini spool rear, open front. Going to install XJ shaft and lockright up front.

Also Tires going to be coming soon again, 35s, either

Or Maxxis bighorns!

#7 ·
In addition to axles this month, also getting the 4.0 TB, frame repair and 3" BL replaced with 2" and prolly some new flares for the trimming i have to do with the 35s

#10 ·
with any vaccum disconnect axle like the stock axle in YJ (either 4 or 6 cyl) the locker is not present unless your in 4wd, if in 4wd then your steering auto centeres (when you turn it always goes back to center) and you just can not go full lock when turning, but it was the cheapest/best mod so far, now im losing it going to the one piece axle but i will make due with the lock right...

#11 · (Edited)
for now, that is a possible stage in my 3 year budget build. Xtreme4x4 does these so called Budget Builds, but this one is going to be a real on for the blue collar person.

1st stage is axles, tires, lockers

2nd stage is XJ powertrain swap, 4.0, AW4, tcase

3rd stage cage

4th stage teralow.

total budget is to be under $10,000 in total modifications over 3-4 years,

As of Right now,

January 2009:
repairs and lift kit $1400

March 2009
Stock axle replacment $ 500

Feb 2010:
New Axles: D30/8.8 with 4.88s $1200
Tires: $ 850
Frame repair, body lift replace/repair, 4.0 TB and few other minor repairs $ 1000
Spare Axles: D30/D44 $ 225

puts me right now at $5300 in upgrades, but I am selling my current tires, my spare axles, and maybe my current axles who knows! so once that happens i will have to rework my numbers

Im sure there are some other little things that i did or money thats been spent so im prolly around $5600

#12 ·
Little quick update:

Going this Sunday Jan 31st to pick up new axles, HP30 and 8.8 with 4.88 gears and a mini spool in the rear.

Currently the front is open and still stock YJ (meaning still a vaccum disco axle)

Im debating either lincoln locking the front as is right now, and either going to the vaccum switch like many are running, or POSI lock device, but I am also looking into upgrading the shafts to chromo's and long shaft and totally eliminate the need for the disco portion. Right now I am looking at money. If I can find a good deal on shafts for it, I will go that route and put a lunch box locker up front, but if money doesnt allow, i will do the lincoln locker and work on the disco system! Before people start bout it, I know BLAH BLAH BLAH, basically i dont care bout the issues with the vaccum, mine is already not working but may just be the transfer case issue, but either way I know IT SUCKS, im working on it.

Also going to get the Frame repaired and my body lift repaired and replaced, either 1.5 or 2" or something like that, prolly 1.5 or under. Getting the transmission flushed. 4.0 Throttle Body if Jerry has one, and maybe some exhaust issues addressed.

Then will be placing my order for 35's, Still going BF Goodrich KM2's.

Work should be done within next 2 weeks or so!

#13 ·
Another update:

Here it is; The DIRTY #### WORK ORDER!!! She's gonna be under the knife in the next day or 2 for a bit, but should be back and running great! PICS TO COME!!!

Repair’s:

Frame Rust Repair

Body lift repair/replace with 1 ¼ inch body lift

Install’s:

Vacuum Switch for D30 disconnect (check to make sure vacuum is still working from the manifold) and plug the holes on Tcase from removal of internal switch harness.

Aussie Locker install in D30

4.0 Throttle Body

Install D30/Ford 8.8 (both diff’s need fluids) Both have 4.88 gears, new brakes and rear has a mini spool!

Maintenance’s:

Drain/Flush Transmission, refill with that syncro mesh fluids

Try to finish exhaust from muffler back (currently no tail pipe)

Check brake master cylinder for fluid distribution (since upgrading to disc all around) and its a divided master cylinder

Work on clearance issues to fit 35”s for rear, front should be fine!

#14 ·
Finding more and more frame cancer:mad:, hoping its fixable and not looking at a frame swap!:thumbdown:

#16 ·

well the more the frame was inspected, the worse the results got, so frame swap going to take place as well

#17 ·
few more pics

Attachments

#18 ·
More pics!

old frame: more rust other places similar to this!

New Body Lift kit 1":

New Axles:

D30 with Aussie (to be installed) and 4.88 gears
8.8 with mini spool and 4.88 gears, rusty's slider!

Jerry Busy Welding, the welder is getting a hell of a work-out:

Hole on the head pipe from where drive shaft wore through, being repaired as part of my exhaust leaks:

How she sits at the end of today, all but 2 body mounts repaired and improved:

#19 ·
some more progress pics!

Attachments

#20 ·
more pics to see

Attachments

#21 ·

She's alive again!!

Got the 2 1/2 gallons of gear lube back in the rear diff, transmission and tcase. Took her for a spin down the road, no new vibration at backroad speeds, Spedo wasnt working again so couldnt tell how fast we were going. She has pretty much the same feeling she had before as far as running/driving vibration. Starting up was a lot smoother without all the exhaust leaks and the sound was a lot better! Transmission has a weird grind to it, to me like something free-spinning when the clutch is engaged or throttle backed off at speed, but as soon as torque is applied it goes away, so guess i will be keeping my eye out for a tranny once i get money back in the bank. I am hoping (its a long shot) that its just something that needs a good lubrication and will go away, didnt drive it too far, less than a mile, but we had it trained bone dry and cleaned out for days, so maybe its just something that needs to get relubricated during driving.

Anyway, still at Jerry's, needs the brakes finished (just new crush washers on the 1 rear caliper) and re-bleed and the new vacuum switch put in for the front disconnect (going with a external switch instead of the internal switch in the t-case that seems to have stopped working like usual). Tcase shifted fine! Jerry's hoping to have the YJ and CJ done for the show.

All in all, not bad at all!

#22 ·

Once i finish paying off this part of the build, tires and Chromo solid shafts for the front are in line!

Future MOD when i hit the lottery is a ARB in the rear to replace the mini spool! but if i dont like the mini spool im going lock right

#23 ·
pics from today messing around after getting her home!

homemade RTI: Front up!

Rear up! I did get up bout another inch at a different setting but she was barely touching and a little rocky! Going as far as I could here my rear tire was bout 3/4 inch from the flare/body and the front bout 1 inch from touching the fender lip. Going to be going some cutting in the rear once i acquire a sawzal and new flares all around or try to move these up higher!

Went to the ditch in front of the house to see if i would max the suspension and rub the fenders, and succeeded with the 32's! Thats some flex if i do say so!

Rear passenger stuffed and rubbing:

Front driver stuffed and rubbing:

#24 ·
My video cruising through the wet flex area today!

Watching Dad thinking about doing something dumb!

And he did it!

FAIL!!!
Broke rear output and slip yoke cone but still drove home fine. Going to inspect for further damage in a bit... but I am DONE with Racoon Hole!! IT WINS!

#25 ·
Hahaha you have been bitten by the Jeep bug worse than most my friend... You have The Madness. Great YJ and keep on Jeepin :wave:

#26 ·
35 12.50 15 KM2's and some much needed trimming and bumpstops, but they are ON!!!:2thumbsup:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.