Build Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Build Help

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-21-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
merkaba
2010 JK Wrangler 

Build Help

Hey all,

I bought a 2010 unlimited sahara yesterday (yay!), and wanted to get some input from everyone on some upgrades. I plan on running 35's with the possibility of jumping to 37's later. I also plan on getting the rock krawler 3.5 inch x factor long arm kit. My jeep had the towing package, so it has D30 up front and a D44 "heavy duty" in the rear with a 3:73 axle ratio and is an automatic tranny. I am no mechanic at all and will likely have some friends help me do most everything or just hire someone to do it. This will be my DD for the next couple of years, so I'm going to stick to 35's during that time. If i do decide to go to 37's I don't really want to redo the axles.

The biggest question I have is what should I do for axles? What upgrades should i make to the rear end, and what should i do in the front? Should i do 5:13 or 5:38 gears? I'm trying to get a list of everything i need so i can get a budget for it. What are others running in a similar situation as me, and how much money did you put into it? I'd like have air lockers, so i will need onboard air as well. Any advice would be excellent.

merkaba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #2
melx3
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkaba View Post
Hey all,

I bought a 2010 unlimited sahara yesterday (yay!), and wanted to get some input from everyone on some upgrades. I plan on running 35's with the possibility of jumping to 37's later. I also plan on getting the rock krawler 3.5 inch x factor long arm kit. My jeep had the towing package, so it has D30 up front and a D44 "heavy duty" in the rear with a 3:73 axle ratio and is an automatic tranny. I am no mechanic at all and will likely have some friends help me do most everything or just hire someone to do it. This will be my DD for the next couple of years, so I'm going to stick to 35's during that time. If i do decide to go to 37's I don't really want to redo the axles.

The biggest question I have is what should I do for axles? What upgrades should i make to the rear end, and what should i do in the front? Should i do 5:13 or 5:38 gears? I'm trying to get a list of everything i need so i can get a budget for it. What are others running in a similar situation as me, and how much money did you put into it? I'd like have air lockers, so i will need onboard air as well. Any advice would be excellent.

Congrats on the Jeep The search function will help you find the answers to all if not most of your questions. If you plan on running 37s then gear for 37s and get 37's Not 35's. Ideally you should only do your gears once so plan longterm not shorterm. Regarding axles you can upgrade your axle shafts to chromoly and keep the stock ones as spares.
melx3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2014, 07:19 AM   #3
merkaba
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by melx3 View Post
Congrats on the Jeep The search function will help you find the answers to all if not most of your questions. If you plan on running 37s then gear for 37s and get 37's Not 35's. Ideally you should only do your gears once so plan longterm not shorterm. Regarding axles you can upgrade your axle shafts to chromoly and keep the stock ones as spares.
Thanks. I need to decide 35 vs 37 now. So the D30 with upgraded chromoly will be OK even for 37's?
merkaba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.