A budget LJ build up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > A budget LJ build up

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 04-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
Jtrux
2006 LJ Wrangler 

A budget LJ build up

I've always wanted an LJ but they were too much money new so I held off until this January when I came across one that I really liked. I always wanted an Impact Orange Jeep, especially an LJ and I absolutely had to have a 6 speed.

Anyways a friend emailed me an add for an Impact Orange 2006 Jeep Unlimited w/ a 6 speed for $14,300 with 29000 miles in San Marcos, TX (30 miles north of me) so I went to take a look and bought it that same day.

Here's a few pics of when I brought it home.

Messing around at my friends house.

Anyways I was working for the railroad at the time making good money so I had plans for lifts and tires and gears and lockers, etc, etc, but like many other people I got laid off about two weeks after getting the Jeep so plans changed.

I've decided to go ahead and spend a little money on it at a time and do little upgrades to it that are cheap. The first thing I did was build a rear bumper for it. The only reason I did this was because I needed to be able to pull a trailer around and didn't want a stupid hitch on it and didn't have the money for a big badass aftermarket bumper so I did what I could.

A friend of mine had some 2X2 tubing at his house that I could have for free cuz it had a lot of surface rust on it but the only problem was that it was thing wall stuff, about 1/8 inch so I thought about it and decided to use it anyways. The trailer I pull is light and I don't pull it on the street unless it's just right down the road no more than 25 mph but mostly I just pull it around on my dad's property. So I build the bumper itself out of the tubing by stacking two pieces of the 2X2 tubing and making a couple small welds down the center. I thought about fully welding it in and grinding it down but that's way too much work and it didn't turn out bad anyways. The hitch I mad ties into the frame as well as the bumper so it's plenty strong for what I need. I also have a basket I hang from the hitch when I go camping and it holds up fine. I didn't paint over one of the welds on the bumper so it sticks out like a sore thumb and the hitch is also removeable but I didn't remove it for the pics. Also it cost me a total of $43.00.

The thing I hated about my LJ was the stupid rake it had. It just looked horrible. I really didn't want to spend the money of a lift quite yet and after looking at some lifted LJ's I noticed that they still weren't level so I decided to take care of that right off the bat. Eventually when money is available i'll lift it up 4 or so inches and make it level with coils but for now some 1 3/4 inch Rubicon Coil spacers will do.

Before

After

I had only one issue with it and that was death wobble. I'm not sure if everyone experiences death wobble with such a small lift but I did and it sucked so today or tomorrow I need to take it in for an alignment.

For now i'm gonna have to leave it like it is. I plan on finding some used 32's, and trimming the fender flares to give the appearance of more lift. Also, my bday is coming up so I asked everyone for ONE Crager Soft 8. More free (free to me) upgrades anyways.

Unread 04-22-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
LGriffith
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Awesome find, i'd give my left...well...I would of killed for an impact orange LJ . I'm building up my LJ on a small budget too, since i'm in high school and everything, so I'll be watching this one. Looks good!
Unread 04-22-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
Jtrux
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGriffith View Post
Awesome find, i'd give my left...well...I would of killed for an impact orange LJ . I'm building up my LJ on a small budget too, since i'm in high school and everything, so I'll be watching this one. Looks good!
Thanks, my goal is to have a off road worthy Jeep that didn't cost me an arma and a leg.
Unread 04-22-2009, 11:21 PM   #4
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

dude asking for one cragar from everyone..GENIUS im doing that for my bday

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2009, 08:28 AM   #5
Jtrux
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006sport View Post
dude asking for one cragar from everyone..GENIUS im doing that for my bday
lol Thanks, I thought it was a good idea, hopefully everyone gets me the ones I want and I don't end up with a black one, a silver one, a chrome one, and different sized ones.
Unread 04-23-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
DixiesCJ3B
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrux View Post
lol Thanks, I thought it was a good idea, hopefully everyone gets me the ones I want and I don't end up with a black one, a silver one, a chrome one, and different sized ones.
You just have to make sure that they know what you want. Also you could just ask for money and then go and buy the rims that you want.

Great looking LJ, i have always wanted one

But like you im poor and can hardly afford my tj

1954 CJ3B Willys
Hurricane 4, 3-spd with Warn Overdrive, Snow-plow

NGJC# 15
Low Output 4 cylinder Jeep Club Member #166
Build Thread
Are You An Offroad Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo View Post
This "Jeep thing" is like dating a really really hot chick, who is crazy! Its alot of fun, you spend too much money, your up all night ending up sweaty & greasy from it, your friends are jealous, you get admission into some sort of weird club... but it gets mad at your for no reason, throws fits seemingly randomly, has unexplained issues which it somehow solves on its own only after you try a bunch of different things (and spend a bunch of money) to solve it... and yet you can't resist getting in it every chance you can.
DixiesCJ3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2009, 02:54 PM   #7
Jtrux
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well i'm having some death wobble issues. Here we go...First after I leveled the front out I took it and got it aligned cuz the death wobble was bad. That didn't fix it. Then I rotated the tires and had them balanced. A little better but still randomly does it. Then I thought about the trac bar bolt on the axle, I had already tightened it down but I wondered if it would do anything if I completely backed the bolt off and retorqued it. It seems to have gone away but when I hit bumps I still feel some wiggle in the steering wheel and now it's pulling to the right!!! WTF!!! So now I might go get it realigned. I'm getting a little irritated at this point.
Unread 05-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
Jtrux
2006 LJ Wrangler 

DEATH WOBBLE!!!!!

I figured out that my tie rod ends were worn cuz when I got the Jeep all the ends were dried up and it appeared as if it had never been greased. I greased it but it was too late I suppose. Anyway I figured it was time to upgrade. I purchased the Currie heavy duty steering system. Hopefully it will be here friday but i'm not sure.

Steering modifications were not on my things to do list yet but since it came up I decided to do something about it.
Unread 05-29-2009, 09:42 PM   #9
Jtrux
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I installed the Currie HD steering kit today but I was unable to install the factory steering stabilizer. I'll have to pick up an aftermarket one and get it installed this weekend. The reason I ordered the Currie steering kit is because all my tie rods were wore out so I decded instead of replacing all the factory parts I would just upgrade. Good news is that the deathwobble went away. Even without a steering stabilizer it's all good.
Unread 06-22-2009, 03:21 PM   #10
Jtrux
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Okay, I haven't been doing anything to the jeep lately but I did make a purchase. Winch!

Here's the thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...48#post7453548

I'll be making some more posts soon when I mount it up.
Unread 08-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #11
Jtrux
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I started on the front bumper yesterday, no pics yet but i'll have some soon, hoping to get done in a couple days but i'm probably gonna be busy as hell at work so it might have to wait til this weekend. Super simple design and very light as well. I don't want it to weigh a whole lot since i'm incorporating a fishing pole holder into it as well plus the winch weights alot so I don't want the front end sagging several inches when fully loaded.
Unread 08-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #12
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looking great man. And a steering stab will do NOTHING for preventing wobbling. If you have wobbling, it's certainly not caused by not having a steering stab. If you don't care about not having one, then don't bother buying one. You should always be able to drive just fine without it and I'll be damned if you can even feel the difference.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #13
2000BB6
2000 XJ Cherokee 

looking good man. the impact orange is such an outstanding color
Unread 05-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #14
Renegade88
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Looks great man! I'm going the same route here in a few weeks with the spacer to help out with the rake. Keep up the great work.

PanhandlePierFishing.com
Renegade88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #15
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looks great and LOVE the color and trans choice but I am a bit bias. The orange ones are pretty rare so keep it forever. I hope the currie steering fixed it for you, that was one of my first major upgrades too. I do not run a ss and have not for almost the entire time Ive been owning mine.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.