Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

The Budget Jeep

51K views 379 replies 41 participants last post by  Tenshots1 
#1 · (Edited)
Tenshot's "Metal Mistess"

Hey guys. My name is Garrett and i have had my jeep for 4 years. I bought it stock and have put these upgrades on it over time using christmas money and my job to scrape together any extra money i could get ahold of. I will attempt to show a quick history of my jeep with the little pictures i have, then i will show the total upgrades.

Jeep when i first got it:

After 2" spacer lift and 31" KM tires

After 4" Lift with old Tires

Start of Thread
Exterior
Lift: 4" Full Traction
Shocks: Rancho 9000xl front, Procomp Es3000 rear, ES2000 Steering Stabilizer
Tires: 33X12.5X15 BFG KM2's on 15X8 AR767 Rims
Bumpers: Stock, Front has brush guard attached
Side Protection:Smittybilt SRC rocker guards
Lighting: KC 100w fog lights on windshield mounts, Silverstar ultra-bright headlights
Misc: Hi-lift jack, CB firestik radio antenna, Black gas cap cover

Interior
4 Polk Audio waterproof speakers
Panasonic headunit
Cobra 29ltd Cb radio

Under Hood
K&N Air filter

I am continuously putting more on and will keep this thing updated! Also, i am looking for it to be sponsored in exchange for parts. Pm me if interested.

See less See more
#180 ·
Well you gotta break it to replace it haha. Pics dont work. it just says "page not found". BTW I just got my first Warn part. Its a dana 44 diff guard. Found it on CL for $30 so I had to try it out.

Also, do you have Led turn signals? I would love to see how you did those. I have been lookin up diagrams all day!

#181 ·
Fixed the link, it's the who's going to Superstition this year thread

I test a lot of stuff for various manufacturers so parts come and go on a fairly regular basis, plus, upgrading is always fun

I have LED's front and rear. I went a little different route than most. I have two sets of Harbor Freight LED's; a 3/4" on the gusset of the flat fenders as a front marker light and a 2" or so Harbor Freight LED as the actual turn signal. I have another LED under the fender as a side marker. That one will eventually get changed, need something cleaner. In the non-LED range I like the JK front signals.`Cheap and easy

Good find on the diff guard, I know a couple of people who run that cover, gotta love CL:thumbsup:

#182 ·
ok Im gunna definitely pay you a visit in january. I gotta check all that stuff out. I have been getting confused by all the different ways to install LEDs up front. Sounds like the easiest way is to connect some resistors and diodes to it. I might actually end up buying the genright LEDs. They look pretty nice even though they are a little expensive.

On the diff guard, I would have actually rather found a diff cover that replaces the stock one, but when the price is right, I gotta buy. I rarely pay full price for jeep parts anymore and I almost never shop at 4wheelparts, which is where I bought all my stuff when I first starte(Dont worry, I only bought during their sales)

#185 ·
#194 ·
Tenshots1 said:
35s are gunna come eventually, but after a regear for sure. I hate the 3.73s with 33s. I cant imagine 35s. The problem is that a regear is hard to find the cash for while in college and jobless for the most part.
Nice. Ya I got 4.56s while I was still on 33's to get ready for my 35's. And ya the re-gear isn't cheap. I feel your pain with being in school and trying to buy upgrades, that was my situation until last december. Since then upgrades have been much easier to come by.

I say go for some CJ style turn signals ! They are an easy install with a hole saw.

#196 ·
I have a hole saw and would love to, but i do these upgrades with my dad. And he would kill me if I drilled right into the grill. I'll see if he bites, but i doubt it. I like the triangle lights in the front support of the fender, so I'll think I'll end up doing that. Hopefully i can get by with just that and not a side marker

#197 ·
Ive been looking around the forum and like the LED DASH LIGHTS, but i cannot decide which color to get. I have been having color issues with this jeep ever since I bought it. My favorite color is green, but that doesnt go well with silver, so i have resorted to Red for shock boots along with a couple other things, but my headunit is blue, so that screwed me up(it was a present from my GF). Now i dont know if i should do blue on the dash to match my headunit or red to match my overhead lights. I kinda like the red better. Green is my favorite but that would confuse my jeep further :brickwall

#205 ·
hey! i was just browzen and saw your in sandiego and are on a tight cash build like me. I just started my build thread a few minuts ago but im heading down to octillo well the 27-28 to hit the trails around there. is that where your pictures are from? want to join my friends and i down there?

#206 ·
Hey Mike its great to meet ya. Yea a majority of the pictures are from either the superstition or TDS events from last year, which are both held in Ocotillo Wells. I only go on a trip every couple months due to gas being so expensive, and I think I am going to go to Superstition again. It is in the middle of January. If you have never been to a jeep event, you need to go. Its a great time. Here is the info:
http://www.sd4wheel.com/node/129

#212 ·
Tenshots1 said:
Hey Mike its great to meet ya. Yea a majority of the pictures are from either the superstition or TDS events from last year, which are both held in Ocotillo Wells. I only go on a trip every couple months due to gas being so expensive, and I think I am going to go to Superstition again. It is in the middle of January. If you have never been to a jeep event, you need to go. Its a great time. Here is the info:
http://www.sd4wheel.com/node/129
Thank you I'm defiantly going to checkout the link!

#218 ·
Hey guys help me out. I was always under the assumption that if someone had 4.56 or 4.88 gears installed in a dana 30, that I could pull the carrier and pinion from their axle and install it into my dana 30 without a professional. Now i am starting to see that maybe this is not the case. Can I or do I have to have the gears reset?

BTW i got a quote from a shop in orange county called RWK Haus that would do the entire gear install, front and rear with everything, for $700 if I bring them the axles. Sounds pretty good since I just added the parts up at their store and it was about $500. So only $200 labor total. Time to start saving!

#220 ·
That what I thought. I thought that if you had a used axle and pulled the carrier and pinion, you could do the swap, then I was reading and it sounded like I would still have to have someone reset the gears for my axle because they are all a little different.

The one good thing about having the D30/35 combo is that you can find replacement axles for cheap with gears and sometimes even lockers. Since I have a d44, it is really hard to find a used one for gears that is reasonably priced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.